The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jason Dickinson, 2024 2nd-round pick to Blackhawks for Riley Stillman

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ah Iain, find a penny, spend it.

Your Scots would not be amused.

Can we just keep a little wiggle room for half a day or so?

PA has just gotten us some cap space, a serviceable and tough defenseman, and rid us of an underperforming and overpaid cap drag.

2nd round pick 2024; we can probably get that back next year from somebody given the ability to continue to massage the roster; but still worth the price.

I am thankful management continues to back up this team with solid moves (and PA is listening to us about MO GRIT!)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

I don't hate this trade. The 2nd is rough to see go out the door but it's the cost of dumping a contract like Dickinson's who is under contract for two more years. Only wish that the Blackhawks had also taken Poolman too.

With that said, Stillman at just over a mill is a pretty decent depth piece. I don't see his contract aging horribly and he adds some toughness.

This is the price Allvin has to pay to clean up Benning's mess.

Dickinson has this and next year, right? Not two more years after this one.  

I completely disagree with the notion that we should get rid of Poolman. He had another good game, granted against Arizona, but he's slowly building his game back up. 

Most of the criticism against Poolman seems to come from people that hated the signing last summer because JFresh told them so on Twitter. 

Poolman was merely average last year but he had just changed teams and then had to deal with another coaching change halfway through.  There was so much turmoil in the first 40 games when Poolman was healthy that it's not surprising that he wasn't his best. 

This idea that Poolman is so bad that we should try and get rid of him is non-sense. 

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Either that, or he’s our extra defenseman to start the season. Stillman’s a much better player. 

I also can’t see us getting rid of Dermott, he is a capable depth defenseman. 

Wolanin probably gets released, and Burroughs will remain until Myers is back. This is unless there’s more trades to happen to address our right side better.

Probably agree with you but Wolanin had another good game tonight and we don't have to get rid of him right away; lots of aching Nux too.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t mind giving up picks actually. I’d be okay with giving up our 2024 1st but it has to be for a legit player that can fill a need in the top 4.

Giving away 2nds for bubble players just seems like more of the same from the Benning era (A 2nd for Vey and Baertschi, a 3rd for Pedan) Those trades catch up to you if you’re not acquiring a player that fills an actual need.

We should not be a team that is paying picks for cap space either. That should be reserved for contenders.

JR & PA have realized we are contenders.

We need cap space to continue to manage the roster.

Go PA&Co Go!

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well the 2nd sucks. But getting rid of Dickinson and adding a gritty 3rd pair D, at less cap is ok.

Hopefully we can recoup that 2nd before the '24 draft rolls around (Pearson, Myers next TDL).

Yep…and let’s see what the cat drags in next. The Ferland smoke was no mistake.

12 minutes ago, Devron said:

I’m seriously happy to see all the anti JB folk becoming anti Alvin. Yes everything is back where it belongs. Muhahaha

I guess you haven’t been reading the vast bulk of comments?  Folks don’t seem particularly upset about this.

I mean, Allvin spending a 2nd round pick to get out of one of Benning’s bad signings isn’t exactly the same as Benning spending a 2nd (and more repeatedly) to get out of his own bad signings.

Come back to me if Allvin has to spend a 1st round pick next summer to offload Mikheyev’s contract… then we will talk.

Edited by Provost

Just now, Provost said:

I guess you haven’t been reading the vast bulk of comments?  Folks don’t seem particularly upset about this.

I mean, Allvin spending a 2nd round pick to get out of one of Benning’s bad signings isn’t exactly the same as Benning spending a 2nd (and more repeatedly) to get out of his own bad signings.

He’s only traded one second to move contracts. That was in the OEL trade. Who am I missing? And yes I’ve read the whole thread. There are the same culprits

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Come back to me if Allvin has to spend a 1st round pick next summer to offload Mikheyev’s contract… then we will talk.

I don’t for see that happening. I’ve liked everything Allvin has done so far 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2