The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 64 players - Oct. 09, 2022

7 hours ago, JM_ said:

cap friendly is showing us with 60k in cap space this morning, so I'm assuming all of Ferlands LTIR is still available to us? or maybe we paper down Hogs, Kuzmenko and Hoglander to make room for 1 day? not sure how the mechanics all work. 

I like P.Myers- 25 - 6'5, 210 lbs -RD --142 NHL games -  33 PTS-- 2.55 million X 2 yrs -- Lets chase this D man..

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, DudePerfect said:

I like Josh Mahura (ANA), Jacob Moverare (LA), Jansen Harkins (WPG). 2 younger D prospects that can play a 5 or 6. More mobility over Schenn or Poolman. Harkins would be a nice 13 forward and potentially can play bottom 6 minutes when needed.

Hawkins --LW--C. watched him lots 

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Only the team highest in the priority order who puts in a claim is announced.  All unsuccessful bids remain unannounced, but are taken into consideration in case the poor sap is put back onto waivers in short order.

Yeah I'm just gonna accept that Myers easily gets claimed before we can nab him. He's 100% getting claimed.

• Sad 1

Some good names on todays list! I’d be down to put a waiver claim in for Myers! Another name I like is Brett Leason. I honestly haven’t tracked him much since the draft but he was an overager I wanted the Canucks to take in the 3rd round or later. Washington picked him in the 2nd round. He’s a 6’5” 220 pound RW that at the time of the draft had good hands and was racking up points. Would be nice to have a big body on the 4th line or as an extra forward. His hands have to be better than your typical 4th line banger.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Losing your place in waiver wire starts in November.. Guy explained yesterday..

No it doesn’t.

Up until Nov 1st, it goes by previous season’s

order.  After Nov 1st it goes by current order.

You never “lose your place” by putting in a claim.  If the bottom team claims a player one day, they are still first up to claim another player the next day.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Hey @mll

Are the buyout windows done for the year?

Won't open before mid-June.  It's about 2 weeks in late June where it closes the day before free agency.   There's a 2nd window for teams who have players going to arbitration but eligibility is limited and it lasts only 48 hours - minimum 4M AAV and had to be part of the team at the TDL.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, JM_ said:

thanks @mll

So is there any way to claim P. Myers without the Canucks having to make another trade?

They should have the cap space to claim him as Ferland will be going on LTIR.  They would have been cap compliant with Dickinson and Ph. Myers has a slightly lower cap hit.  They would need to waive Stillman and could also maybe put Dermott on LTIR.  

Myers was waived by Nashville and no one put in a claim last season.  He has a 2.55M cap hit but is owed 3.8M in salary this season and Tampa has also extended him at 1.4M for next season.  Kind of expensive if it doesn't work out and no one picks him back up.  

8 hours ago, on the cycle said:

Possibly trade them Ferland after day one deadline.

He's not on the trade block.  Tampa sees Myers part of their regular NHL roster - they only waived him to try and maximise their LTIR relief.

That trade would work for Tampa if they were trying to get rid of him but they aren't.  Would have been similar to the Dadonov/Weber or Johnson/Seabrook trades where for a team to move an unwanted contract they have to take an LTIR contract in return. 

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Only the team highest in the priority order who puts in a claim is announced once the waiver period for that group ends (ie. the "noon the following day" part of your question).  All unsuccessful bids remain unannounced, but are taken into consideration in case the poor sap is put back onto waivers in short order.

Is it noon EST or PST?

33 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Not sure I’ve been this excited about a potential waiver wire pickup. Not sure what this says about the Canucks defense :ph34r:

Yah I hear you... Also think it has to do with this unique time in which the salary cap has been flat and more than half the league is capped out or at the ceiling anyway.  So some better players on wire than would have been in the past.  Tomorrow should be interesting.  Nucks management might have positioned themselves quite well.  With their recent trade.