The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Darius said:

Kuzmenko making an impact on that game.  

1665653006387-png.593419

He’s incredible with the puck. His pivoting and his edgework allow him to keep the puck on his stick. He goes to the dirty areas, and goes to the net. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Reffing sucked, for both sides

The fact is: Canucks are still not good enough. I have doubts about any playoffs this year, and I think Bruce get s canned. This team doesn't respond like it should. Joshua is playing like he thinks he's a skilled player looking for goals. Please dude.

Bo isn't as engaged as he should be. The D is in shambles and OEL is terribly overpaid. Not even sure Demko has it in him to keep them in it.

5 unanswered goals, epic meltdown in Game 1. What a joke.  

Yup, one thing I've learned in sports is concentrate on the things you actually can do (like protecting a 2 goal lead) and don't waste your time and energy on the things you can't (like complaining about the reffing or changing the rules).

It's only one game so I'm not going to throw in the towel but it's disheartening that we don't seem to have addressed our weaknesses at all. Same old risky plays and irresponsible decision making that lead to our downfall last year.

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

He’s incredible with the puck. His pivoting and his edgework allow him to keep the puck on his stick. He goes to the dirty areas, and goes to the net. 

Yup, i think i was 'arguing' with you about him a few days ago ...i was thinking we cant make projections about him until he plays like 20 games....I think you were right, he looks like the real deal.  The part I like is he goes right into the danger/dirty areas.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Outplayed the Oilers 5 on 5 too. Just special teams letting us down yet again.

The D was actually pretty good, Poolman had a surprisingly good game, even guys like Schenn weren't getting walked around by McDavid on rushes. (And he still had 3)

FWDs really let us down, Miller / Horvat with grade A chances, Petey on the PP. They better get things into gear quick.

Edmonton is so lucky to have McDavid & Draisaitl. They really aren't a contender aside from just having those 2. Their Dcore is overrated & they get worked anytime McD isn't on the ice.

They are 1 injury away from their season being thrown in the toilet.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, one thing I've learned in sports is concentrate on the things you actually can do (like protecting a 2 goal lead) and don't waste your time and energy on the things you can't (like complaining about the reffing or changing the rules).

It's only one game so I'm not going to throw in the towel but it's disheartening that we don't seem to have addressed our weaknesses at all. Same old risky plays and irresponsible decision making that lead to our downfall last year.

not sure I'd go that far, there were a lot of good things last night. Its just the special teams were.... "special" again. 1/8? yikes. 

An aggressive PK is very effective against us, but Hyman is pretty darn good at it too. Still, needed to cash in and didn't. 

Oh and Nurse plays like a coward. 

10 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

well that was something else, we need to do something about our PP, first game n all but still it was terrible.

yup Canucks PP is way to predictable and they are trying to make too many moves with the puck like they are playing an exhibition game against some low tier team. Miller needs to look before he passes the puck to nobody.

Edmonton  PP is lethal, Canucks is NOT. Boudreau needs to figure out how to get his guys to play a better defensive game...Sad to see us lose after having a 3-0 lead, 81 games left go Canucks!

Liked what I saw from Kuzmenko in his first game

• Cheers 1

Game one showed me that this team still has zero to no push back. We brought in these gritty forwards and defencemen yet we still let little Nurse run around and take liberties with our players. We made life easy for the Oilers, especially McNugget and Celine Leon when we don't even touch them.

How is there no one standing up for Burroughs after that dirty cheap hit? What about Pettersson getting constantly tripped and slew footed all game? You just blew a 3-0 lead, where are some checks or a fight to spark some energy? I know it's game one but these are the sort of things that occur year after year for the last decade. We have a reputation of being a soft-ass team that would rather get a PP (and do nothing with it) than send a message.

Not going to lie, Joshua was more useless than a prime Tom Sestito. Don't even get me started on him getting bodied by a 6'3 twig with pads on. Stillman and Burroughs got into McDavid's face early but then cowered away the rest of the game when he made them look like pilons. Did we even see our Canadian Captain Bo throw a hit last night? What about our new 8 million dollar "I want to be a better two way forward" Miller? 

Edited by 250Integra
  • Cheers 1

IMO we need to trade Brock and or Bo,  get a solid shutdown 3c and a legit top 4D that can play the right side and leave enough money to sign Kuz, you can already tell he's a player we can't afford to lose.  If I was running the Canucks I'd be doing whatever I can to get Chychrun, I heard awhile ago that Keller was on the block too.  If we could trade Bo and Brock for prospects and picks and roll that into a blockbuster trade to get those 2 I think all our problems are solved.  It would cost us for sure but sometimes you just need to take a chance.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, thrago said:

IMO we need to trade Brock and or Bo,  get a solid shutdown 3c and a legit top 4D that can play the right side and leave enough money to sign Kuz, you can already tell he's a player we can't afford to lose.  If I was running the Canucks I'd be doing whatever I can to get Chychrun, I heard awhile ago that Keller was on the block too.  If we could trade Bo and Brock for prospects and picks and roll that into a blockbuster trade to get those 2 I think all our problems are solved.  It would cost us for sure but sometimes you just need to take a chance.

Did you just conveniently forget what a beast horvat was in the last 50 games last season?  Who is going to replace that? 

Boeser can go as hes slow, soft and redundant on the team. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Slegr said:

For all intents and purposes, this was a one goal game. The ref’s missed call was the difference. Still annoyed by that. We should make a tracker of how many games the refs just screwed us enough that it impacted our points.

We had what 7 or 8 pps.  The refs gave us opportunity.  The pp moved the puck decent for its first game of the year. Loved seeing Kuz handle the puck on there.  Theyll be burying those opportunities soon.  Every team has a rusty pp early on.

13 minutes ago, thrago said:

Boeser and Horvat for Chychurun and Keller...I would be pulling for that trade (signing horvat to 7 years and trading him) 

This would make the team a bit younger while solving our weak defense. 

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

We had what 7 or 8 pps.  The refs gave us opportunity.  The pp moved the puck decent for its first game of the year. Loved seeing Kuz handle the puck on there.  Theyll be burying those opportunities soon.  Every team has a rusty pp early on.

every team has a rusty PP except for Oilers lol. 2 seconds into the PP and they score with those cheat codes Drai and McDavid. No matter how many times Drai scores from that spot, goalies still cant save it whichnis ridiculous.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Makar didn't shut McDavid down lol.

Why do people keep perpetuating this nonsense? Makar looked brutal defensively in that series to the point of where panels kept highlighting how young he is as a defenseman constantly in that series.

He was a minus player in that series despite sweeping the team lol. 

we need a prime Kesler and Tanev to shutdown McDavid but unfortunately we dont have those types of players and Horvat is not a shutdown player like Kesler was.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Scottydzik said:

You guys all laughed and made fun when I criticized boeser signing and said we need top 4 defense and that this team was not good enough to remain same Canucks may have one worst defense crews in nhl and it’s on jr and Alvin for not doing single thing about it

They can still trade Boeser for a good D at trade deadline. Maybe trade with NYI for Pullock or trade with Carolina or NJ for Severson.

17 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Joshua will be the player coming out of the lineup, saw nothing from him but yes it was only 1 game. he should have ran over Campbell instead he got flattened like a pancake for a guy with "size"

As soon as Kane started getting physical with the Canucks, Joshua should've introduced himself and made a statement - We won't be bullied.  He was invisible.

5 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Boeser and Horvat for Chychurun and Keller...I would be pulling for that trade (signing horvat to 7 years and trading him) 

This would make the team a bit younger while solving our weak defense. 

I don't get why so many people here want Chychrun. Yes, he's a good, young dman on a great contract and available from a bottom feeding team, but he's also a lefty which isn't something we should be giving up assets to acquire. Chychrun has also only managed to play more than 60 games in 2 of his 6 seasons so far and has never played 70 games in a season. Even the often maligned for his injury history; Boeser, has basically as many career games played as Chychrun despite 1 less season in the NHL.

And as for making the team "a bit younger", we already have the 6th youngest roster in the NHL, how young should we go?

• Upvote 1