The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

It would be interesting to see someone keep track of players "game by game" performances as in "who played well" that night and "who was invisible". I think we would be surprised and have a different opinion of some players by the end of the season.

Here you go, this guy is keeping track...

https://camcharron.com/2022/10/13/vancouver-canucks-3-edmonton-oilers-5-2022-10-12-recap/

Interesting to see his perspective.  Poolman particularly bad - even though he looked decent by the eye test (to me at least).  

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

To me, the absolute worst thing from last night is that complete Edmonton homer analyst Anthony Stewart repeatedly calling Nurse's hit on Burroughs "questionable" after the game. He even commended Nurse for the hit and credited him for bringing the team into the game. 

It was an obvious penalty which was called. The league has fined Nurse, and he is calling it questionable and commending him for stepping up.

There should be some response to Stewarts comments encouraging this type of dirty play.

I don't do twitter or anything like that, but there's got to be some way to chastise Stewart for those comments.

7 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

The need to change the draft system, No team should be able to drat number 1 so many times in a such a short period of time.

i think they did change the odds after the coilers won the top pick so many times in a short duration...changed it just in time for when the Canucks bottomed out of course...no doubt it had an affect on our lottery odds.  I think there have been a couple changes since they won McDavid...

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I tuned out and went to bed after the second as well. Seen this story enough. The D-core is pathetic. Like you say that right hand side are like super oil tankers speed and mobility wise. Yet some people don't see that as a problem. :sadno: Can it ever be fixed? I don't know how either. We're basically the Oilers trying to outscore our deficiencies. They're just better at it. We're almost the Flyers of the last 25 years desperately trying to find a goalie except with us its RD.

It's pretty unfair to compare our D to the Oilers.  We might not have the strongest top 4, but all the guys we're playing have proven that they can play at the NHL level.  Edmonton has an overpaid Nurse followed by AHL trash, including the worst right side in the history of the league. 

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Coaches should get one red flag to throw on the ice to challenge the call or non call. One flag only.

Thats all this game doesnt need is flags flying on the ice...leave that to football ffs...games got enough f@#$ing stopages as it is.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Offseason - Canucks added some grit and toughness! 

Game 1 - Canucks got pushed around by McDavid, Kane and Nurse, and there was no pushback

Is this the Canucks culture and identity?  "You better watch it! We'll play you fairly and with good sportsmanship darn it!" 

The Canucks is type of team that plays soft against our hated rivals, then all of a sudden have fighting majors and lots of hits against an 

eastern team we have no history with. So frustrating! 

2 hours ago, 250Integra said:

The best team in Canucks history that was famously known for letting Brad Marchand use Daniel Sedin's face as a speed bag? The best team where we let the rat submarine and injure our players? The best team where a player's back was broken and no one did a thing about it? The best team where someone like Ben Eager and Duncan Keith almost ended Daniel's career with viscous blows to the head and the closest thing to "retaliation" is a Myers hit 10 years later? Is this the identity you want?

Yes, actually I do wish our PP had that level of prowess as back then. This is 2022, not 2011. The last years SC champ was balanced team that played a clean game...ditto the year before.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Oh yeah you are correct. A darker Jersey will win them the cup. 

Jersey? You missed where I bolded your statements of not blaming the leadership or not seeing the pattern that has been there for decades. Whoosh! :lol:

Too upset last night to comment.  They blew a chance to humiliate the Coil in their own building for their opener.  Would have been sooooo sweet.

I think that missed call on Hughes actually did have a big effect. I wouldn't go so far as saying that was THE reason they lost. I know they were still ahead by two after that, but its moments like that that can totally flip a game.  Took Hughes out for a stretch and he never was the same after that. 

That said, there were other reasons we lost.  The PP and the PK.  They simply must have a few alternative "looks" on the PP.   They don't have to totally abandon their signature system of the static three man PP altogether.  Pass around the outside between three players until Petey gets his perfect pass for the one timer.  And/or force a set up Bo for a quick shot from the slot.  Or pray another player can capitalize with a tip in or deflect a Hughes long shot.  But...other teams, like the Oilers, know exactly what we will do, and can prepare for it in advance. And such a static PP can be much easier defended against, than a fluid one.

Why can't they have two or three approaches?  Just to confuse the opposition if nothing else.  Like others have said, sometimes we need to collapse to the net way sooner and more often. Shorter quicker passes up closer. We have the talent for that, we just have to use it.  We should be able to execute the same kind of PP goals that Edmonton did on their PP with that quick one...two...three and its in.  Mix it up to execute more of a North South PP than a East West PP.  Sometimes our static, set up Petey system, works too.  It wouldn't help if we took that play right off the table completely. But we need to trust our talent and allow them to skate around and play keep away more often. They have one more player than the opposition on the ice. Get creative.  Maybe its more that we are too "coached" on the PP than not enough.

I'm going to give a little leeway to the older vets like Bo, MIller, Pearson, and also Boeser just because he was coming in cold.  Some just need a few games to condition themselves into prime game shape.  Of course one could ask why didn't the Oilers vets need a few games, but hey, I'm looking for excuses here, lay off.  I will say that Bo, being our captain, does have a greater responsibility on the ice, when he sees the team's lead collapsing like that, to step up and DO SOMETHING. In fact I'll say that Podz energy was wasted by playing with Bo and the Elf, who both seemed a little disinterested. And does Garland have ANY other play than his tiny percent odds of shooting at the goal directly from the side trying to catch the goalie sleeping?  Seen too many forechecks just die after that.

But, I have to remind myself it is only one game. And also, like it or not, there are going to be games where McDavid just decides that his team cannot lose this game, like the home opener of the season they are expected to go far.  We had a couple like that last year too against them.  One way to get the sting out is to win in Philly. 

Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Problem is that half brain Benning got rid of our only defensive d and best PKer in Tanev thinking he was outsmarting other teams. The dude was asking for only 4 million dollars but Benning decided Poolman was better for that money :picard:

Am still pissed at that decision and his excuse of running out of time. Not sure if Alvin can find us another Tanev but we badly need one.

Agree, but you are leaving out the fact that Tanev was always injured as a canuck; it always left a big hole in the lineup when he was out. Don't get me wrong, in retrospect he should have been signed, but JB made the smart decision at the time; you don't inverst in a 30+ year old with constant injuries.

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Yes, actually I do wish our PP had that level of prowess as back then. This is 2022, not 2011. The last years SC champ was balanced team that played a clean game...ditto the year before.

LOL! You do realize that every game is different and the beginning of the playoffs(Round 1) is usually the roughest part of the post season? This is usually where players get roughed up(injured) and have a hard time playing the rest of the play offs.

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Don't even compare apples and oranges. We don't have a Captain like Landeskog or leadership players like MacKinnon and Johnson that actually stand up for their star or role players. Don't even get me started on Kadri.

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

LOL! You do realize that every game is different and the beginning of the playoffs(Round 1) is usually the roughest part of the post season? This is usually where players get roughed up(injured) and have a hard time playing the rest of the play offs.

LOL.....I do. It is also where the biggest level of disparity in talent is, and scoring is easiest. A good PP win games, period. It did last night. IF the Canuck's PP wase half decent last night, (go 2-3 for 8), we walk away with a win. And playing "tough guy" hockey would have been the Oilers demise. 

Let's face the true fact; our special teams were terrible last night and cost us a game.

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Too upset last night to comment.  They blew a chance to humiliate the Coil in their own building for their opener.  Would have been sooooo sweet.

I think that missed call on Hughes actually did have a big effect. I wouldn't go so far as saying that was THE reason they lost. I know they were still ahead by two after that, but its moments like that that can totally flip a game.  Took Hughes out for a stretch and he never was the same after that. 

That said, there were other reasons we lost.  The PP and the PK.  They simply must have a few alternative "looks" on the PP.   They don't have to totally abandon their signature system of the static three man PP altogether.  Pass around the outside between three players until Petey gets his perfect pass for the one timer.  And/or force a set up Bo for a quick shot from the slot.  Or pray another player can capitalize with a tip in or deflect a Hughes long shot.  But...other teams, like the Oilers, know exactly what we will do, and can prepare for it in advance. And such a static PP can be much easier defended against, than a fluid one.

Why can't they have two or three approaches?  Just to confuse the opposition if nothing else.  Like others have said, sometimes we need to collapse to the net way sooner and more often. Shorter quicker passes up closer. We have the talent for that, we just have to use it.  We should be able to execute the same kind of PP goals that Edmonton did on their PP with that quick one...two...three and its in.  Mix it up to execute more of a North South PP than a East West PP.  Sometimes our static, set up Petey system, works too.  It wouldn't help if we took that play right off the table completely. But we need to trust our talent and allow them to skate around and play keep away more often. They have one more player than the opposition on the ice. Get creative.  Maybe its more that we are too "coached" on the PP than not enough.

I'm going to give a little leeway to the older vets like Bo, MIller, Pearson, and also Boeser just because he was coming in cold.  Some just need a few games to condition themselves into prime game shape.  Of course one could ask why didn't the Oilers vets need a few games, but hey, I'm looking for excuses here, lay off.  I will say that Bo, being our captain, does have a greater responsibility on the ice, when he sees the team's lead collapsing like that, to step up and DO SOMETHING. In fact I'll say that Podz energy was wasted by playing with Bo and the Elf, who both seemed a little disinterested. And does Garland have ANY other play than his tiny percent odds of shooting at the goal directly from the side trying to catch the goalie sleeping?  Seen too many forechecks just die after that.

But, I have to remind myself it is only one game. And also, like it or not, there are going to be games where McDavid just decides that his team cannot lose this game, like the home opener of the season they are expected to go far.  We had a couple like that last year too against them.  One way to get the sting out is to win in Philly. 

Go Canucks Go!

I felt like we fell into our old PP problem of guys just having trouble pulling the trigger when they have a clear shot. Hughes/Petey/Miller in particular. Now don't get me wrong, I love a lot of what we saw in those guys last night, but too often on the PP one of these guys would receive a puck and instead of taking the clear shot, they try one extra deke or a low percentage pass, fail, and kill the play. I'm sure they'll figure it out, but what a stark contrast from what we saw in preseason.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Don't even compare apples and oranges. We don't have a Captain like Landeskog or leadership players like MacKinnon and Johnson that actually stand up for their star or role players. Don't even get me started on Kadri.

I didn't compare apples to oranges. I just stated "tough guy" hockey hasn't won the last couple cups; skill has. And Kadri is a walking suspension waiting to happen; he was lucky to not get one the last year...

Skill would have won the game last night for us

Edited by BC_Hawk

I don't get all the Boeser hate. 

I think he's gonna have a good year.

There was a play down the right wing where he was  in a foot race to chase the puck on the forecheck. It's the best I've seen him.skate in a while 

For those that know Boes, his success really depends on how he is skating because that's what allows him to get to pucks and open ice. It's what also helps how he back checks and dictates how he looks defensively. 

I thought we saw 2 different boesers last night. First half was solid. 2nd half he looked a step behind. 

I only remember a couple plays were he was a step late / I aggressive along the wall. 

Give this guy a chance folks. He's gonna show up this year. 

I predict a goal from him next game. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

You guys are down in Aman eh? Highmore & Lammikko were very ineffective after Motte was traded.

It's early but I kinda like Aman more than Highmore, both are fast (and don't do much else) but Aman has size whereas Highmore was small, and Aman can play C.

He's also alot faster than Lammikko who wasn't anything special either. Keep in mind Aman is only 22, he's still young & adjusting.

I'm optimistic about Joshua too but he has shown the least so far. 

Agree; I thought the 4th line look good last night for the most part. We have to remember that they were often getting matched against the best line in hockey, and we SOMEWHAT kept them in check 5on5.

Aman and Joshua just need a bit of time; both showed some jitters

• Cheers 2