The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Completely understand what your saying, however there is a big difference between the 2011 group and current. 

All of those players you mentioned had the ability at any point to completely take over a game. They inspired teammates to be better, to step up etc.. because they themselves did that. 

Also the Sedins were both league leading scorers in the same time period essentially. They were all leaders who were leading but there's was no doubt on the ice or in the room that the Sedins together were the leaders. Kes, Burr, Juice were the perfect supporting cast, and it takes a strong leader to create strong followers.

Compare to current. I'm sorry but Bo is not a strong Captain because he has no strong followers. So right now you have a leader who is not leading by example (Bo), and another leader who is struggling (Miller). Right now there is no leader and as a result there is no strong supporting cast.

Personal feelings aside, can you think of one time in the past year where Bo has noticeably stepped up or changed his play mid game in an effort to rally the team?

He and Petey were the best players from January on last season.

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Agree 100%    This team is made up of completely incompatible players.     Until the new management figures out what most of us have know for years, we will continue to struggle.   Don Taylor (from Donnie & Dhali show) and many other older, wiser and more experienced hockey pundits can see in plain sight - that we have a bunch of square, round and triangular pieces (players) being shoved into round holes.    You can see it on most line combinations with little synergy in style and method of play between the players.    This team needs to be re-jigged in a bad way and it should start with leadership at the top with Horvat.  The more time JR wastes in recognizing this the longer it will take to ice a competetive team.

I think you are seeing it too much as a fan and not a hockey player. From a hockey players mind when you approach the opponent blue line you can dump it in and circle around to collect the puck, Pearson is a master of dump and chase. It is a safer play on your body and you don't need skill or speed to 1 v 1 a defender. Other players like Horvat, Kuz, Pod, EP will often try the toe drag or through the legs or a fancy move to beat a defender and lose the puck.

Yes its frustrating as a fan but imagine how fun it is as a player to try to out wit the opponent with a move they tried in practice. A lot of players on Canucks are here for individual efforts not necessarily for team or correct play efficiency and you know what we cant blame them because they are having fun.

It shows you that it isn't about winning at all its about individual performance stats and having fun.

• Cheers 1

JR/PA - Bruce wasn't their hire, and probably isn't their first choice. They gave Boudreau a poor D core and Horvat who is without a contract is playing like he's sulking. They may just be setting Bruce up to fail (someone to blame when the season goes off the rails), so they can then hire their guy. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When Smyl retired, we had 3 co-captains with Linden being one of them.  After that year Linden became the defacto captain at age 21 and the rest is history.  I can see the same happening here if BO is traded.  No co-captains but 4 assistant captains for a year and then Petey takes over the following year as the defacto captain.

OMG......................PLEASE................PLEASE.................No more Swedish Leadership on this team.    We've had that going on for 22 years now (Except for the 2 Luongo years) with Naslund, Sedin and Horvat (who was mentored and neutered by the Sedins and is essentially a Swedish sheep in Canadian sheeps clothing).    It has failed us completely!     Time to get away from soft, euro-centric, stoic, passive & emotionless, Swedish leadership style.    Leave EP to be what he is best at - he is about the last guy that should even be considerd as captain.   

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Nearly every single team who names a kid the captian is a bottom half league team. Excluding mcdavid it sure seems like league wide that is not the play if you want to be successful

The youngest captain in NHL history just won the cup last year. Before that, Stamkos was named captain at 24 and has done a great job with that team.

I see where you're coming from, but young captions can work as well. 

Edited by Shayster007
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

JR/PA - Bruce wasn't their hire, and probably isn't their first choice. They gave Boudreau a poor D core and Horvat who is without a contract is playing like he's sulking. They may just be setting Bruce up to fail (someone to blame when the season goes off the rails), so they can then hire their guy. 

I'm really worried that Yeoh was hired to be the replacement.  I still think the D needs more time to be evaluated due to the damage Green and Baumgartner did to that group over their tenure here.  This is the group's first full season under an actual coach and there will be some growing pains.  While they do need one more top 4 guy, it's nowhere nearly as bad as Toronto or Edmonton.

Edited by King Heffy

46 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Totally agree cause even the pursuant of Horvat, will only keep JBs' roster intact - with all its flaws & strength.  Imo, the Canucks should be selling and not retooling - but to their peril cause this roster, is starting to look stale - despite Kuz & Mikh.  

Yip, stale, and same old story. Too easy to play against. What in the hell is wrong with this franchise and it's peace loving, smoke a pipe, group hug attitude. Please, please some grit and push back. Despite this world and woke attitude crap, its ok to get mad and knuckle a player. It's hockey! I do like Burroughs and Stillmans push. 

• Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

You actually think this is all a setup to get rid of Bruce? Come on now.

They didn’t improve the D core because they didn’t have the cap space and weren’t willing to part with the assets it would have cost to upgrade.

As for Bo “sulking” because he doesn’t have a contract that’s bs. Miller just signed a fat contract and he’s playing the same way. 

This team is just taking time to gel and injuries on D are forcing them to adapt a bit. I don’t think we played that badly in either game that we couldn’t have easily pulled out two W’s. A bit better finish, stronger kills on the pk, and of course not giving up two shorties, and we’re not talking about any of this.

Its a fine line between winning and losing and right now they’re finding ways to lose rathe than win. Eliminate some of the mistakes and this team should be fine.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BPA said:

3 Hours ago Gurn said: Finally get our old number one line back together    Tanner, Bo, and Brock. 

2 Hours ago BPA said: Coincidentally, these are the players some posters want gone.

:mellow:

Aren't they gone allready,  Haven't noticed them out there the last two games !  :mellow:

Edited by RU SERIOUS

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm really worried that Yeoh was hired to be the replacement.  I still think the D needs more time to be evaluated due to the damage Green and Baumgartner did to that group over their tenure here.  This is the group's first full season under an actual coach and there will be some growing pains.  While they do need one more top 4 guy, it's nowhere nearly as bad as Toronto or Edmonton.

No chance Yeo is their number one choice. He’s proven he’s not head coach material.

If they do have another coach in mind it would be Barry Trotz IMO. Championship experience, local connections, and a history of developing strong defensive minded teams.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Come to me Garly, let's see what you got." Coaching, a mixture of guidance and encouragement. Listen in as Canucks Assistant Coach Trent Cull is mic'd up at practice in Philadelphia.

He seems like a really supportive coach and fun guy all around/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I'm worried.

And as a long-suffering fan, I've set the bar higher than just "hope it'll happen". My expectations are much higher than that.

We don't have the luxury to yet again sit back and watch how it all unfolds. It would be a catastrophic failure (as coach BB put it) if we were to not make the playoffs and be on the outside looking in yet again this year.

Wouldn't it be nice to come storming out of the gates for once, and by Christmas or even the TDL be in a worry free, solid playoffs position? Shouldn't we expect that? If not now, WHEN? Always having the insurmountable and uphill battle every year just to squeak in is brutal. We deserve more.

Management needs to be proactive and start kicking ass. This isn't that big of an ask. 

I am too. We have heard for years "We need to be better". Well when are they going to put what they say to actual "on ice" performance? If it hasn't happened yet, I don't think it will later in the season and for sure not in the post season. We seen the same in the preseason too.

Frustrating.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No chance Yeo is their number one choice. He’s proven he’s not head coach material.

If they do have another coach in mind it would be Barry Trotz IMO. Championship experience, local connections, and a history of developing strong defensive minded teams.

Trotz would definitely be my first choice.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Good cop to Yeo’s bad cop.

Bruce is in the middle and can be either from why I’ve seen.

I really don't like Yeo at all.  I think down the road if Bruce is let go, they will probably go with Colliton.

22 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

OMG......................PLEASE................PLEASE.................No more Swedish Leadership on this team.    We've had that going on for 22 years now (Except for the 2 Luongo years) with Naslund, Sedin and Horvat (who was mentored and neutered by the Sedins and is essentially a Swedish sheep in Canadian sheeps clothing).    It has failed us completely!     Time to get away from soft, euro-centric, stoic, passive & emotionless, Swedish leadership style.    Leave EP to be what he is best at - he is about the last guy that should even be considerd as captain.   

RU Serious?

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Burroughs has looked great and seems to be a guy who I think can really develop into a shutdown defenseman.

He was our best player on the ice in every single metric and was playing like a top 4 defenseman. He reads the ice extremely well, his skating ability is by far his best attribute and comparable to Tanev’s, and he is physical and fights, gets pucks to the net and makes great zone exits.

As many have said, our defense hasn’t been the issue this far, in fact, our defense has been excellent and Burroughs seems to be emerging. It’s our top players Hughes, Horvat, but especially Miller who have lost us games, ESPECIALLY Miller.

With Poolman and Myers out now, Burroughs is going to have every opportunity available to him now, and I think he’s going to be one of those defenseman we look back on and say “he did one helluva job”. 

Our defense isn't the only issue but 2 games in 8 goals against.  Can't give up 4 goals a game & win.

Burroughs looked good last night. Hope he plays that hard every night.

Hughes - Looked like he's scared to get hit, the league has taken note that in the defensive zone, plaster him, he'll start rushing & making mistakes. Same thing was noted on the PP obviously. Philly was pressuring Hughes & Petey the second they got the puck.

OEL - Steady game, didn't really stand out in any way. You want that from your 5/6 guys, you want something to pop off the sheet from your 1/2 dmen and nothing did at all except for how many board battles they lost collectively. 

Schenn - physical, steady, what we've come to expect from him. 

Stillman - didn't notice him much which is what you want from a 5/6.

I thought we were lucky to be up 2, certainly didn't reflect the play on the ice. The whole group is manure right now.

• Haha 1