The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 22, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

There’s something about Vancouver that makes NHL players want to retire prematurely going as far back as Messier.  It’s like every time we sign an aging vet for any length of time.  There’s a country club feel to Vancouver.  I felt it with Eriksson, Schaller, Sutter, Pearson, Beagle, and now Miller, it’s like there’s something in the air that makes you want to kick your feet up and pat yourself of the back for accomplishing mediocrity.  It’s more than just the nerves after signing a big contract, it’s an unwillingness to push hard.  It’s a take it easy and relax city, there’s no hunger in a lot of our vets right now

Sutter, Beagle and pearon have been great in Van.  Sutter just couldn't stay healthy and we're seeing how imprtant Beagle really was.  Pearson is the most versatile player on the current roster and busts his hump every night.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

I think Bo will be the one moved...

He has been ok during this start, and with his contract coming up, he'll be a lot easier to move than both Brock and Miller in particular.

Something will have to give, its becoming blatantly evident, its not going according to plan... 

And at this stage its a question, how do we get the most, that can help us afterwards... and I believe that is Bo. Unfortunately...

Brock won't give us anything on D of real value... but cap space... We can survive letting go of a winger, but Bo will leave a massive hole.

then you're nt really fixing anything as I don't think the split is between Bo and Miller.  I think Bo is the bridge tryng to manage the split in the room.  It's about fixing the roomm as much as it is the return.  Moving Miller and Boeser for what you can get also brings a lot of cap relief

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Schenn is clearly an important guy in the room, removing him makes the problem worse, not better.

I know this as well. We need 4 more of him. There is no fixing this group. Blow it up. Lots of pieces to keep still but we have a chance to maximize some value for once and gain assets. I'd rather go that route just once in my lifetime rather than tread water. Could always re sign him in the summer for the big brain play lol

Edited by Mustard Tiger
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I think Bo will be the one moved...

He has been ok during this start, and with his contract coming up, he'll be a lot easier to move than both Brock and Miller in particular.

Something will have to give, its becoming blatantly evident, its not going according to plan... 

And at this stage its a question, how do we get the most, that can help us afterwards... and I believe that is Bo. Unfortunately...

Brock won't give us anything on D of real value... but cap space... We can survive letting go of a winger, but Bo will leave a massive hole.

Bubbles-trailer-park-boys-eyes.gif.d9d8e11820b1f85085aef68a99a43450.gif

• Haha 2
  • There it is 1

Just now, stawns said:

then you're nt really fixing anything as I don't think the split is between Bo and Miller.  I think Bo is the bridge tryng to manage the split in the room.  It's about fixing the roomm as much as it is the return.  Moving Miller and Boeser for what you can get also brings a lot of cap relief

Yep, but unless Miller finds his game in a hurry, he'll be expensive to get rid of.

7X8 from next season says so... and let's be honest, it was not as if it was raining with offers last season, when he played his skin out.

Hence I fear its Bo, who plays the price. He is younger a good strong C with good F/O numbers... he'll gather a lot of interest.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Decent points, but Bruce is the Head Coach and thus wears a significant amount of responsibility for what’s happening. Along with the players, upper management, and yes, the owner.

Yeah totally and look what his influence did last season.

The problem is the mindset and overall juice (no not KB3 haha) behind this team. They continually enter the season bunged up, tentative, sloppy…

that’s not on coaching. That’s certain players being mentally undisciplined, focused, buying in, what have you.

Aside from the assistant coaching changes, what do you notice has changed in Bruce’s own tactics that would cause this team to fall back into old, bad habits and patterns?

it’s not him, this team is just perennially weak going into each season and that’s because of the roster makeup and lack of a winning culture.

it why it needs to be torn down.

to rebuild promise and potential in what could come.

this team now almost feels to me as though they are a little entitled. I remember them only showing up for the big games in the past as though they were amongst the alphas, and then blowing chances and playing uninspired against the teams that they should be dominating and accumulating pts against.

they just don’t have it as a group. Minor to moderate changes have only perpetuated the issues concerning team chemistry, reliability, camaraderie.

How many players come here and likely feel an energy is off? Some of our notable acquisitions in past seasons have come in, played poorly, and then departed indicating that it just wasn’t a good fit. Why is that?? Really? Do they enter a dressing room and immediately find there are cliques or circles and that the team isn’t a whole entity like most other NHL clubs.

that’s what I expect is occurring. 
Bad atmosphere, too much expectation on them to become winners, and not enough players with requisite leadership experience or guttural desire who can truly take this team over and guide it effctively.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sutter, Beagle and pearon have been great in Van.  Sutter just couldn't stay healthy and we're seeing how imprtant Beagle really was.  Pearson is the most versatile player on the current roster and busts his hump every night.

What do you define as great?  They’re a mixed bag of over paid, injury prone and sluggish vets for most of the time they were here. You can start adding Boeser to the list of underachievers.  Bad practice habits or a bad strength and conditioning it’s got to be something because Boeser is a way better player that what he’s showing here.  

Edited by Pure961089

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

This all sounds vaguely familiar, as though I've read all this before somewhere... 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

For the record, I don't think Miller is a bad person, I think he's not a good fit forthis group.  I've played with somany Miller's in my life and it's a tough gig.......on one hand, they can really lift you up and motivate you, on the other they drag you down deep when they are down and ultimately never knowing what to expect from them, in the dressing room and on the ice, is really stressful to be around.  

A player like Miller needs to be on a more veteran team, imo.  A team with guys who have dealt with the Miller's of the world before and know how to keep him more even keeled.  You can call that "lack of leadership" from Bo, Petey etc, but they are a young team and they need stability to grow together.

Boeser just needs a new start, he's done here.

Miller to Calgary. They already have some long-term commitment with Kadri and Huberdeau. He fits their timeline. Get r done JR.

No way Miller pulls this $h*t off with Darryl. Kinda pisses me off knowing it wouldn't fly there, but in this dressing room it's anything goes. 

Like I've been saying this team needs stronger leadership. Wtf is Bo gonna do??

Edited by Maginator

30 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The fans sent a message to the team yesterday. Not sure if it's necessary for the management team to send another message to the team.

I disagree; I think JR and PA need to sit down with Miller for example, and discuss the problems.

e.g. Do you really want to be here if you are pissed all the time and getting called out by smart veterans like Schenn?

I previously said it would be wrong for management to trade Miller in the gap between signing and beginning his new contract.

But Miller's play and behaviour has undermined management's ability to take the high road on this one.

If Miller cannot grow up and lead this team instead of tearing it apart, I would even add to get him out of here.

No to long-term salary take back; but Miller and Boeser, even for 'future considerations' could get this team out of this f-ing funk.

A head-to-head meeting could also go in a positive direction where Miller stays and actually helps the team succeed.

I could see management giving it today as an off-day, and next game, but no more than that, before becoming more pro-active.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

What do you define as great?  They’re a mixed bag of over paid, injury prone and sluggish vets for most of the time they were here. You can start adding Boeser to the list of underachievers.  Bad practice habits or a bad strength and conditioning it’s got to be something because Boeser is a way better player that what he’s showing here.  

It just feels like you’re going “here is a list of contracts I don’t like and I am now going to call them lazy.”  

Pearsons been rock solid as a Canuck and we’ve seen how our PK has done post Beagle and Sutter.  That’s not a lazy assignment. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

I have a feeling they'll go on a big streak eventually, this isn't a coaching issue or anything, I think its just a confidence issue. We are a much better team than we were last year. I don't blame Rutherford for resigning Miller, no one expected him to drop off like this. Hopefully just a slump, lets wait 20-25 games before coming to conclusions.