The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 22, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Players do not have to accept a QO, anyway my point is if we are rebuilding I can't see Petey hanging around

lol so EP is going to decline his QO and sit out until he's 27? if the team qualified the player the player can't just decline his QO and become a ufa.. all he can do is sit out or accept the QO.. he literally would have to sit out 2 years until he's 27 before he can go ufa in 2026-27 season. if we are rebuilding he will be traded to wherever we feel like.. and he's going to be stuck on that team for minimum 1 year

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol so EP is going to decline his QO and sit out until he's 27? if the team qualified the player the player can't just decline his QO and become a ufa.. all he can do is sit out or accept the QO.. he literally would have to sit out 2 years until he's 27 before he can go ufa in 2026-27 season. if we are rebuilding he will be traded to wherever we feel like.. and he's going to be stuck on that team for minimum 1 year

lol great way to maximise the return on a valuable asset

17 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Or he's kept.   The players aren't stupid. If a teams losing and has a modicum of expectations given it's roster, which we do have, has already gone through a coaching change, which we have - the older vets that can be moved are, and the younger ones are kept.   COL did exactly that.   Barrie was close to QHs as far as expectations go at one point too, and Duchene of course too. 

Anyways, knowing us we'd trade Miller and Horvat for plugs, and go on a 12 game winning streak lol.   Cursed ... sometimes it feels that way.

Still only six games ... a ten game losing streak?   Maybe that sets things in motion. 

Edit:  COL kept Landsekog (think Horvat) and McKinnon (EP)...the and turfed whatever else they could.   Had the worst record in the league by 20 points when they drafted Makar five  years ago. 

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Or he's kept.   The players aren't stupid. If a teams losing and has a modicum of expectations given it's roster, which we do have, has already gone through a coaching change, which we have - the older vets that can be moved are, and the younger ones are kept.   COL did exactly that.   Barrie was close to QHs as far as expectations go at one point too, and Duchene of course too. 

Anyways, knowing us we'd trade Miller and Horvat for plugs, and go on a 12 game winning streak lol.   Cursed ... sometimes it feels that way.

Still only six games ... a ten game losing streak?   Maybe that sets things in motion. 

I don’t think Pettersson will stay, if we continue to struggle, and go into a rebuild (like JR mentioned). Petey was adamant about playing for a contender, during his contract talks a year ago.

I think he’s the most likely candidate to be moved if we don’t improve within the next two years. Plus, he’s the only one who has actual value in the trade market (not including Hughes or Podkolzin).

Edited by shiznak

25 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

The QO is only open for acceptance for about 10 days.  After it lapses, the player has no choice but to negotiate a contract by 1 December or sit out the rest of the season.  

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I don’t think Pettersson will stay, if we continue to struggle, and go into a rebuild (like JR mentioned). Petey was adamant about playing for a contender, during his contract talks a year ago.

I think he’s the most likely candidate to be moved if we don’t improve within the next two years. Plus, he’s the only one who has actual value in the trade market (not including Hughes or Podkolzin).

EP said made one comment - exactly one - "I want to play on a winning team" in reaction to a question from a Swedish journalist lol.    Every player in the league has said that at one point or another ... yet somehow that was spun and spun and spun.   If he doesn't want to sign with us, so be it.   It's happened twice in our history,  once with Nedved and again with Bure.    Nedved was actually a pretty good player - just scored 38 goals for us ... Bure of course, was miles ahead of EP so far.    Whatever happens, both those trades helped those teams so i'm not worried about it, and neither should anyone else. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, mll said:

The QO is only open for acceptance for about 10 days.  After it lapses, the player has no choice but to negotiate a contract by 1 December or sit out the rest of the season.  

What a bunch of worried ninnies.   Maybe it's the right thing to do anyways...EP will get an offer, either he likes it or sits.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Im still convinced Miller is a winger.

I feel he played C last year admirably.

But in the face off dot he wacks at the puck.

When he played winger with Petey petey covered C defensive responsibilities not miller.

Last season Pearson and Boeser were stronger on the boards and won puck battles. Miller was also really driving play, very confident and moving his feet.

This year hes constantly standing still or gliding watching plays develop.

Its bizarre.

Last year the turnovers were here. The defensive issues were here. But the compete was there, and he offensive production.

I am not seeing the same player. And we needed him to take a step forward not a step back.

Boudreau clearly sill believes in him and when his super stars struggle he plays them more to get them going.

I think he needs to put him on he wing with Petey and let him finish some of these beautiful passes that Kuzmenko Hoglander and Podz / insert wingers name have had issues 

I say run:

Miller-Petey-Boeser (Petey first line and get Boeser and Miller scoring again since hes firing on all cylinders and needs finishers around him rn)

Kuzmenko-Horvat-Garland (Secondary Scoring)

Pearson-Aman-Mikehyev (Checking Line)

Joshua-Lazar-Podkolzin (Energy Line)

I think if you can play Aaman up against McDavid his kid can play this role till we get Miller going and maybe Boeser too.

Agree 100%

Not so concerned about the line combinations, but they need to change the lines around.

Miller up on Petey's wing or Horvat wing, but they need to get Miller going.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, mll said:

if this is still a losing team by the time EP is up for his contract. the most likely scenario for EP is he opts for salary arbitration and gets a 1 year that will easily be higher than his current QO more likely than not. The most likely scenario for the team is EP will be traded if they can't negotiate a long term because the team is not winning/competitive. i'm only referring to the previous guy i quote when he said EP will likely walk after next year by declining his QO which is not accurate he can decline but he still remains canucks property till he reach 27 or play 1 more season in the NHL.

• Cheers 1

Horrible start to the season.

Been reading through most of the posts here, and two things stands out.

1. I was on the fence regarding keeping Miller, and didn't complain when we resigned him. But regardless, I don't think anyone could have anticipated the play from him to start this season. No-one no matter how much they wanted to trade him... 

He is in a massive funk just now, There may be/likely is something else going on, and none of us really knows the reason. There is even questions about him being the next Messier, which I find astonishing.... 

He is signed to a 7 year $8M contract to start next season. He is not going anywhere...  so accept it. 

2. If I am FA, I would also say screw a rebuild/tear down. First home game of the season, the team plays badly and are getting booed and jerseys thrown on to the ice...

If anyone tries to tell one more time, that this fan base has the stomach for a total tear down, I'll scream... 

We sit and watch on tv, and lots of comments about cancelling their tv subscriptions until they play better... I'm no different, but if I'm FA, I'd say, I'm not going to pay for this sh!t show, when fans are jumping off the bridge already now?

A total tear down means every one has to go, not just the usual suspects and hate figure of the month... 

Imagine they do this, and the drafted players don't live up to the hype? How many teams have been door mats for 15-20 years? Do you honestly think FA, is going to sponsor that? Are you even prepared to pay for this, if it takes this long. 

Tank for Bedard is a dream... It won't happen. NHL is not going to have McD and Bedard in the same division... and even if they couldn't control it, there are several other clubs trying to get a hold of him. Oilers 7000 1st OA, Devils, Islanders, Panthers, Jets (while on a holiday trip in Atlanta) etc etc etc they all though draft at the top, and we're cool... took forever to get it turned around. 

Canucks, same team mostly, played very good hockey last year, and a garbage start to the season does not mean it will not turn around.

Management put all their eggs in the basket, when they signed Miller to that extension.... Unfortunately, it could spell the end for Horvat here, as I don't see management extending him, while we are playing like this.... 

Once bitten, twice shy....and all that jazz... 

Disappointing start to the season, yes, but a total tear down? Don't see that happening, especially after extending Miller.  

They need D, and Horvat will probably be the cost...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

if this is still a losing team by the time EP is up for his contract. the most likely scenario for EP is he opts for salary arbitration and gets a 1 year that will easily be higher than his current QO more likely than not. The most likely scenario for the team is EP will be traded if they can't negotiate a long term because the team is not winning/competitive. i'm only referring to the previous guy i quote when he said EP will likely walk after next year by declining his QO which is not accurate he can decline but he still remains canucks property till he reach 27 or play 1 more season in the NHL.

It's sign or sit out.  He'll be 1 year to UFA - it's the Tkachuk situation.  If he's not interested in signing long term they'll probably just work out a trade.

His QO is 8.82M - he's more likely to just sign it than to go to arbitration.  It's Vancouver that might take him to arbitration - prevents him from signing his QO or an offer sheet. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Edit:  COL kept Landsekog (think Horvat) and McKinnon (EP)...the and turfed whatever else they could.   Had the worst record in the league by 20 points when they drafted Makar five  years ago. 

sure if you can convince him to sign.. not sure how committed EP is to signing a 7 or 8 year contract in vancouver if we continue the current trend. 

colorado kept landeskog but i believe he was only 24/25 at the time compared to horvat who's 27 now. even if we decides to turf everything.. unless we win the sweepstake for Bedard (unlikely) and he come as advertise. i doubt we can convince him to stay. 

i'm actually in favor of tearing everything down if we only have say 1 or 2 win after 10 games.. get as many 1st as we can and aim for bedard.. if we can heck if we move everyone like horvat miller etc and get enough 1st.. package enough 1st rounders along with ours and try to hit the home run trading it all for the 1st OA. one can dream. i dunno if 3 1st rounder (includings ours which likely be a top 5 if we decides to sell everything) + maybe even our 1st round pick from last draft be enough.. yes it's 4 1st rounders.. i honestly don't care.. from a marketing standpoint alone you give them whatever the hell they want for that 1st overall..  we can get 1st rounders back when we have infinite cap space to eat expiring contract the next couple seasons.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

It's sign or sit out.  He'll be 1 year to UFA - it's the Tkachuk situation.  If he's not interested in signing long term they'll probably just work out a trade.

His QO is 8.82M - he's more likely to just sign it than to go to arbitration.  It's Vancouver that might take him to arbitration - prevents him from signing his QO or an offer sheet. 

which is what i said he is not going to sit out he'll take his 1 year QO and leave.. unlike what the other guy said he can decline his QO and walk.. and he's not going to sit out because he would have to sit out 2 years before becoming a ufa not 1 as he won't be 27 yet.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

which is what i said he is not going to sit out he'll take his 1 year QO and leave.. unlike what the other guy said he can decline his QO and walk.. and he's not going to sit out because he would have to sit out 2 years before becoming a ufa not 1 as he won't be 27 yet.

1 year to UFA.  It's the earliest between 7 pro-seasons and age 27.  He'll have 6 pro-seasons once his contract is up.  

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

EP said made one comment - exactly one - "I want to play on a winning team" in reaction to a question from a Swedish journalist lol.    Every player in the league has said that at one point or another ... yet somehow that was spun and spun and spun.   If he doesn't want to sign with us, so be it.   It's happened twice in our history,  once with Nedved and again with Bure.    Nedved was actually a pretty good player - just scored 38 goals for us ... Bure of course, was miles ahead of EP so far.    Whatever happens, both those trades helped those teams so i'm not worried about it, and neither should anyone else. 

Exactly what i was going to say.  

I'm not interested in pointing fingers at any particular player who appears to be underperforming.

This team has no cohesiveness......play a disorganized game.

Anyone who thinks that if we add another top 4 d that it will solve our problems will be sorely disappointed. 

So if I'm correct then the next logical question is why is it like this?

Poor coaching? Something wrong in the dressing room?  

We all like to jump to conclusions.....schenn and Miller thing.....aha   that's the problem right?

One thing I'm convinced this team needs is a true leader. Bo, hank, naslund were types of leaders.....passive ones.  

Then there's leaders like Kesler, MacKinnon types. 

We are a team that on paper, talent wise, should be really good. 

But we are a mentally weak, incohesive, hang your head hockey team. A bunch of nice guys.

Who will pull thus team together. ? 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

34 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'm not interested in pointing fingers at any particular player who appears to be underperforming.

This team has no cohesiveness......play a disorganized game.

Anyone who thinks that if we add another top 4 d that it will solve our problems will be sorely disappointed. 

So if I'm correct then the next logical question is why is it like this?

Poor coaching? Something wrong in the dressing room?  

We all like to jump to conclusions.....schenn and Miller thing.....aha   that's the problem right?

One thing I'm convinced this team needs is a true leader. Bo, hank, naslund were types of leaders.....passive ones.  

Then there's leaders like Kesler, MacKinnon types. 

We are a team that on paper, talent wise, should be really good. 

But we are a mentally weak, incohesive, hang your head hockey team. A bunch of nice guys.

Who will pull thus team together. ? 

I remember a play that stuck out today. I think Myers or OEL tried to make a pass to each other in our zone and missed the mark on the pass and turned it over and then we were hemmed in. It was a pretty simple play but we missed. Don't remember if that led to a goal... I then remembered a comment from BB last year along the lines of at this stage of level of hockey, he is not there to teach how to pass the puck. Our team has guys in critical areas that can't pass the puck. Ridiculous... 

• Thanks 1