The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Bear | #74 | D

-AJ-

I think we're seeing a combination of a few things with Bear - we've given him confidence, he's paying it back, but also we're extremely thin on the blueline. Zadorov is having a similar season in Calgary - Sutter is putting confidence in him and he's succeeding. 

It's a funny one because if you give too much time and responsibility to the wrong person (eg. Myers or Stillman) you end up with an absolute mess, but it seems to be fuelling Bear well because he's got some talent locked away there. At this rate he's a top-4 defenceman. Probably not on most playoff teams, but I think this current play is worth a bottom pairing role on most teams at the very least. On the Canucks minutes-wise he's technically our number 1 RD right now...

Got to wonder what Bear's next contract looks like, you'd hope if he keeps up this play he'll re-sign with us but he could command a fair bit and we're going to be tight for cap space. It'd be nice if he signs a 3-4M deal but to be fair, he's playing as our top right handed defenceman and scoring some points too, around a 30 point pace and 20+ minutes while being a solid + player on a dreadfully minus team (although the PK obviously affects that a lot). A bridge contract, say 2-3 years at 3.5M would be ideal.

On 11/26/2022 at 5:57 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Got to wonder what Bear's next contract looks like, you'd hope if he keeps up this play he'll re-sign with us but he could command a fair bit and we're going to be tight for cap space. It'd be nice if he signs a 3-4M deal but to be fair, he's playing as our top right handed defenceman and scoring some points too, around a 30 point pace and 20+ minutes while being a solid + player on a dreadfully minus team (although the PK obviously affects that a lot). A bridge contract, say 2-3 years at 3.5M would be ideal.

the PK doesn't affect the minus thou

16 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

dad was just telling me about a special on tv with Ethan Bear, anyone know if it'll be on sportsnet?

14 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

thanks but think it was a new one on tonight i think, maybe pop up tomorrow

It was on TSN, I don’t think that special about his hockey camp in First Nations territory is available on SN. It’s called Ethan Bear Camp of Dreams. Maybe TSN has exclusive rights to all the extra hockey specials like the one about breaking the glass ceiling. I’ve never seen it on SN. My suggestion if it’s not available On Demand or on YouTube is to be patient, it usually shows up on the tv schedule once a month if not more frequently. Same with the other special.

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

It was on TSN, I don’t think that special about his hockey camp in First Nations territory is available on SN. It’s called Ethan Bear Camp of Dreams. Maybe TSN has exclusive rights to all the extra hockey specials like the one about breaking the glass ceiling. I’ve never seen it on SN. My suggestion if it’s not available On Demand or on YouTube is to be patient, it usually shows up on the tv schedule once a month if not more frequently. Same with the other special.

ah okay, yeah he didnt*** say if it was on SN or TSN, yeah ill just look around, think they usually put it out the next day i think.

Edited by TNucks1

Just now, TNucks1 said:

ah okay, yeah he didnt*** say if it was on SN or TSN, yeah ill just look around, think they usually put it out the next day i think.

It was a replay. It first aired on Sept 30th. They’ll keep scheduling it for a while, I just don’t know offhand when that’d be. It’s definitely only on TSN though. I know this because all the other sports specials from football and basketball to soccer and hockey have only been there. SN gets the rights to the games themselves, not the background stories about who plays in them.

4 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

It was a replay. It first aired on Sept 30th. They’ll keep scheduling it for a while, I just don’t know offhand when that’d be. It’s definitely only on TSN though. I know this because all the other sports specials from football and basketball to soccer and hockey have only been there. SN gets the rights to the games themselves, not the background stories about who plays in them.

ah okay thanks

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 7:01 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

I would be inclined to give him a 3 X 3.5 million or a 4 X 4 million or a 5 X 4.5 million

He has shown to be a decent player, certainly adds to the team. 

And that gives us time to add and develop.

Remember Gudbranson signed for 4 million X 4 years

Yeah i hope we keep him for about that. He is a UFA

Edited by OldFaithfulCap

On 12/17/2022 at 7:01 AM, OldFaithfulCap said:

Yeah i hope we keep him for about that. He is a UFA

Columbus overpaid Gudbranson -- Gudbranson is a 3rd pairing D man # 5 or 6 guy can move up and play #4..Guddy is slow and will get in trouble with foot speed.  ..Guddy 4 yrs X 2.5 million at the most.. 

The 4 million X 4 year deal was crazy..

Bear 25 needs to show more before you offer over 3.3 million X 4 years....

Bear 5'11 - 195 lbs RD - playing good in Vancouver but remember wasn't long ago Oilers traded him and Carolina never played him this season?

Show me more 3 yrs X 3.3 --3.5 million... His present contract is 1.8 million.. 

I like the upside PK solid #4 RD man..

On 12/24/2022 at 6:15 AM, Boudrias said:

Undisclosed injury or flu? Played great against the Oilers. 

Bear 25, RD played 21:30 mins looked like a # 3 D man all good-- Sign him this summer..

3 yrs X 3.5 million -- Show me more.. bear is making 1.8 million this season..

• Huggy Bear 1