The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, EB43 said:

Couldn’t agree more, a year or two behind the devils.

If only Aqua-Lini would grow some family jewels and gut this team and Rebuild it.   The way things stand now, we'll be stuck in this middle to bottom of the pack for the next 4-5 years and likely more as they keep delaying the inevitable.  Such a waste of all our time and the talent of the 3-4 top players on our team.    Feel sorry for them as they waste their careers on an Aqua-Lini "Limbo'" team that is going nowhere because Aqua-lini is too greedy and lacks the courage to bite the bullet and do what most "Normal" fans know - needs to be done..

• There it is 1

10 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Steps in the right direction. Still work to be done, but that was an impressive win. They didn’t fold like a cheap tent, they hunkered down and buried the Penguins towards the end of the third. 

Hope this will continue.

Bruuuccceee there it is!!

REALITY CHECK: We have to win 7 out of our next 11 games just to be at .500 by American Thanksgiving - which is the unofficial bell weather mark that usually determines who will likely make the playoffs.     I hate to say it but the Canucks have dug a pretty serious hole that will be extremely hard to dig out of and unless they go on an amazing roll like last year - their season will be over very soon.  Sad but True!   

You can Blame JR, and our inexperienced "Rookie" G.M. Alvin & "The Chipmunk Girls" too if that happens - for their inability to correct all the weaknesses they pointed out themselves in April that they said needed fixing (Too slow, Too small, Bad zone exits, Terrible defence, No grit and No size)   

Edited by RU SERIOUS

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

And the idiot media said we wouldn’t support a rebuild!!! We stuck around through trading Myrenberg.  We held fast through trading a 5th round pick.  

Now we’re reaping the dividends.  Gentlemen, the rebuild is over.  We did it. 

Baby Thank You GIF

• There it is 1

9 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

REALITY CHECK: We have to win 8 out of our next 11 games just to be at .500 by American Thanksgiving - which is the unofficial bell weather mark that usually determines who will likely make the playoffs.     I hate to say it but the Canucks have dug a pretty serious hole that will be extremely hard to dig out of and unless they go on an amazing roll like last year - their season will be over very soon.  Sad but True!   

You can Blame JR, and our inexperienced "Rookie" G.M. Alvin & "The Chipmunk Girls" too if that happens - for their inability to correct all the weaknesses they pointed out themselves in April that they said needed fixing (Too slow, Too small, Bad zone exits, Terrible defence, No grit and No size)   

No it's 7 wins out of the next 11 games that would put us at a pt% of 0.500.

We are currently on 6 pts after 9 games. Need 14 more points to hit 20 pts at the 20 games mark.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I don't care if folks disagree but I wish we'd do a legit rebuild someday. Been following the team since 2001 or 2002 and we've never done it, it was just spin your wheels trying to retool and make the playoffs garbage most of the past decade. We're due. 

You missed the Keenan years but did see the results of that plus some of Quins moves prior to that (Naslund, Ohlund, Jovo etc)...and Quins expert dismantling of the 80's teams soldiers before that.   However you got to see the fruits of the labour, Van, Det and SJ won more games then anyone from 2000-2014...it was the best 14 years we've had to date ... 9 banners was it? 

The next phase was going to be brutal no matter what.  Maybe didn't need to be as brutal though for sure.   Let's see what they decide to do, believe they will pivot based on what happens this season, and you may get your wish.   Only OEL is claused up.  OTT blew it up when EK couldn't be re-signed (and the Duchene trade flopped, and well everything piled on off the ice too) and their young players were getting close to free agency.   All of them were traded.   Stone, Zib, Pageu, EK, Hoffman etc etc.   

Decent odds you might get your wish,  but we'd have to seriously fall on our faces.  Seems like Allvin isn't ready to go there yet, and well, closer to the TDL might get better returns.   Think they start with one hockey trade before giving up completely as well.   And that's Horvat. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

so now that Miller is no longer capable of being a center since he doesnt' play defence.. Horvat is elevated to the 1c role.. so what does that do for his contract.. we might have missed the boat to re-sign horvat.. so much for arguing he's a 3c.. he prolly won't continue his 54 goal pace.. but he'll prolly still be his normal 35-40 goal if he stays healthy wonder how that'll affect his trade value at the tdl and what direction this team goes now that it's proven miller can't play C other than faceoff and he's better off as a winger.. we literally going to go from having 3c to just EP if horvat walks or traded

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

No it's 7 wins out of the next 11 games that would put us at a pt% of 0.500.

We are currently on 6 pts after 9 games. Need 14 more points to hit 20 pts at the 20 games mark.

I’ve always found this to be a funny way of looking at 0.500

It’s a hold over from when a tie counted as one point and wasn’t added into consideration of wins losses.

But if a team were to go 0 wins in a whole season and went 0 - 0 - 82 they’re still a 0.500 team.

Edited by Putgolzin

Can't believe this was the first home win of the season. 

Hearing the Bruce chant brought back memories of the first game he coached last year vs Kings in Dec. 

Feels like a new season now. Keep the pt streak going this home stand and they are back in it.   

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

REALITY CHECK: We have to win 8 out of our next 11 games just to be at .500 by American Thanksgiving - which is the unofficial bell weather mark that usually determines who will likely make the playoffs.     I hate to say it but the Canucks have dug a pretty serious hole that will be extremely hard to dig out of and unless they go on an amazing roll like last year - their season will be over very soon.  Sad but True!   

if we win 8 of our next 11 games.. that'll put us at 10-8-2?? pretty sure that's .500 we need to go 7-4 and be at .500.. but because all the team that were in the playoff last season are all off to such a horrible start.. even though the canucks started 0-5-2 it didn't really hurt them all that much. LA minnesota nashville st louis the 4 you expect to make the playoffs are all within reach.. and teams that are occupying spots right now i expect them to fall off soon like seattle winnipeg chicago.. dallas and vegas will prolly come back to earth and be more like a .600 team instead of a 7-2 team so who knows if we go 7-4 unlikely but not impossible.. i mean technically the next 5 is all very winnable.. although we tend to get destroyed by devils.. and then followed by toronto whom we seem to play well against. depending on when we get bodies back and if demko starts to get back in form.. 7-4 is not too impossible looking at the schedule.. it all depends on whether we get the canucks vs the pengs or the canucks the first 7 games

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Good ol home cooking.

Watched the game on pvr.

Seriously was nail biter fun like a little kid. Wow. This is starting to look like Bruce's team again. Audience chant is truly a 7th man effect. Helps everyone relax. I picked Martin good for 20 wins this year and he looks very capable. Demko has had a lot of changes this off season getting married.  I say give Martin another start and Demko can settle in with his new family. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

In retrospect we probably should have started a rebuild after the Torts year imo. The lottery fucking us over also set us back, we dropped multiple times. 

The Miller trade was a win, no denying that, but I agree it probably cut the rebuild short. I don't like the OEL trade in retrospect either, I was eh on it at the time if I remember correctly. All we had to do was wait a year and we'd have had a whack of cap open up. Trading back to back 1sts didn't help the youth movement. 

I'm not gonna dump on folks for being excited about a couple wins but I still don't believe we're a playoff team. I don't think we'll make it, and I don't really believe in this veteran core regardless of how they looked last night. I was advocating for trading Miller and actively working towards stripping things down a bit, a step back to take steps forward so to speak. I still think the Miller signing was a mistake. I wanted to build around Pettersson, Hughes, Podz, and Demko. I'd have signed Horvat instead, everyone else could have been expendable. I wasn't asking for a teardown but I'd have been fine restructuring the roster and moving guys out to actually bring in top 4D. 

Two wins is progress, but they've got a long ways to go before they convince me they can be a consistent playoff team, let alone a contender. I don't see us contending any time soon. There's still a chance things spiral, and I think Bo's gone either way. 

Either way i think this season is a pivotal one for better or worse.   One of the key question marks has been mostly dealt with (until his contract kicks in, Miller isn't 100% off the market).   

OEL/Garland for a 9th overall.   Basically that's what we got.  If the timing was right, a solid move.   Miller of course big win IF the timing was right too.    JB seemed to be able to make moves ... but the overall strategy...well so far it seems like a new coat with a similar mind doesn't it.   Just a better looking suit.  A taloired tux instead of off the rack ordinary.    Still the same beer belly just hidden with bells and whistles lol. 

Cap going up could help us when we really need it depending on what they do sign Horvat for.    Millers cap hit is decent percentage wise, could be better but that depends on him.   Same with Horvat.   Makes me nervous .... because why can't he play a little more consistently at a high level?   Last year he was invisible a lot of nights the first half.   Exploded down the stretch.  

It really comes down to these guys outperforming their contracts.   There is one calculator that does a decent job of that, and last season Horvat, performed at a 6.5 pace.   For the most part, he's given us fair value, but nothing like Miller did with his TB RFA/UFA deal either.   

I'd rather have Horvat and Miller, then McKinnon/Mcdavid plus a plug anyday.   EP should provide some star power which of course we need, but we also need these guys to produce at least what they are getting paid for.   EP?  That's 75-76 points on par given it's a bridge.    Brock?  60 or so given he's also go a UFA year in there.   Hansen was right to call the players and former/current management out, why in the world do these guys get paid like this, when they haven't done much of anything yet.    That said it's a league wide endemic.    Lou is one of a few guys that still gets it - Dobson.   That's what RFA deals are supposed to look like.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

so now that Miller is no longer capable of being a center since he doesnt' play defence.. Horvat is elevated to the 1c role.. so what does that do for his contract.. we might have missed the boat to re-sign horvat.. so much for arguing he's a 3c.. he prolly won't continue his 54 goal pace.. but he'll prolly still be his normal 35-40 goal if he stays healthy wonder how that'll affect his trade value at the tdl and what direction this team goes now that it's proven miller can't play C other than faceoff and he's better off as a winger.. we literally going to go from having 3c to just EP if horvat walks or traded

Last year we didn't have any set lines.  And the Lotto line was terrible, and rightly dismantled.  Motte, Lammy and Highmore led the team in line combos minutes played.   Two coaches and both looked to find that spark.   Most playoff teams have at least one line, that plays 400 plus minutes ... 230ish for us, one line, some have 3.    That's hopefully where we are headed. 

This team has so many forwards, that it's tough to make a distinction between 2-3rd line.   Even last season.   21,18,17 plus some JT, Bo, EP.   All played second/first line minutes, this year i expect it will be even closer.   Sedins usually played mid 18's....

Looks like Kuzmo EP Ilya M/Podz is clicking.   Allvin and JR have stated they want to have players on the same lines for a long time.   IF Miller/Horvat/Garland-Podz click together then great.    For sure did a good job against Crosby last night. 

Miller was on 3/4 of our best line combos last year.   Curiously Pearson was also on them.  Based on GF/GA and puck possession.   

• Like 1

Man! I love CDC's PGT's. It's either, " WE WANT THE CUP!!!! " or " TANK NOW! " You know what I mean. It's all Black 'n' White. 

But that's how it is and that's how it's been. I'm used to it. Anywho.........

Needless  to say, the special teams play woulda' made a difference in the outcomes of our recent disaster of a road outing. I'm somewhat p#ssed at the schedule makers for the away game season openers, but I'm sure that's a poor excuse for our performance in 3rd period play in those games. A much said cliche, "It is what it is."

Coach decision to move Miller to wing was much needed. Rathbone seemed to look more comfortable , and Brisebois was noticeable too. BoHo was pumped and on fire. There's no doubt in my mind of his leadership on this team. Jeez.....no games till Tuesday. 

I look forward to good times in Canucks Nation.

Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Sure.  It's also math.  So we could also just win 3 of the next 3 and be .500.   Then go 3-3-2 and also be .500.    At least we won a couple games, and the power play is back clicking like it was last season with Bruce.  

This team does have holes, it also has strengths.   Balanced scoring for one.   Something both the Sedin and WCE era struggled with.    Either way this year will be a pivotal one.    Playing with a defense that isn't deep to start with ... well it's nice to see us win back to back games despite that (injuries considered of course). 

So many say that and yet when the AHL guys get called up, they are ready to go. Breezer, Rathbone, Juulsen have all played decent hockey that has helped immensely. Grinders and workers just keeping it simple and turning things around.