The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

Lost most of our games without Myers in the lineup actually. OEL is banged up. 

Just excuses and even healthy that top pairing, is a mess - especially, when being pressured.  Saw them alot last year and it was already obvious, that it was 13 million well wasted.  Good chance, both will be paired again cause Boudreau has no choice and "try to" pay attention to the circus on ice.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just excuses and even healthy that top pairing, is a mess - especially, when being pressured.  Saw them alot last year and it was already obvious, that it was 13 million well wasted.  Good chance, both will paired again cause Boudreau has no choice and pay attention to the circus on ice.

We are short a no.1 RH defencemen and our depth is suspect. Plain and simple. Hopefully Bear helps but we still need a Stud RH defencemen 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

We are short a no.1 RH defencemen and our depth is suspect. Plain and simple. Hopefully Bear helps but we still need a Stud RH defencemen 

I understand the roster situation the team, is on.  But our discussion was on both OEL & Myers ability to still defend effectively.  We can both agree that both are overpaid but I don't agree, that both are still quality defenceman in the NHL -  unfortunately their salary, dictates their ice time vs their actual performance, which is just hurting the team on the ice and from improving cause 13 million, is wasted on them.

Thanks JB & Francesco 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I understand the roster situation the team, is on.  But our discussion was on both OEL & Myers ability to still defend effectively.  We can both agree that both are overpaid but I don't agree, that both are still quality defenceman in the NHL -  unfortunately their salary, dictates their ice time vs their actual performance, which is just hurting the team on the ice and from improving cause 13 million, is wasted on them.

Thanks JB & Francesco 

I don’t know man OEL at 6 and Myers at 4, I don’t think anyone is complaining. I suppose they would still be as we have no choice but to play them more than they should. It’s more of actually filling the defence with other quality defencemen then anything. Yes we will agree to disagree 

8 minutes ago, Devron said:

I don’t know man OEL at 6 and Myers at 4, I don’t think anyone is complaining. I suppose they would still be as we have no choice but to play them more than they should. It’s more of actually filling the defence with other quality defencemen then anything. Yes we will agree to disagree 

Actual cap hit is: 6 million for Myers with 2yrs left  and 7.25 million for OEL with 5yrs left = 13.25 million well wasted.

The Canucks capfriendly page, is an accountants nightmare - so much waste but it ain't my $..

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, ktcy2 said:

I am sorry. But Miller had a 100 point season and Boeser has been trash for two full seasons and counting. It’s not the same. They are different level players. Boeser at his best is a 25 goal scorer but he has been hampered by injuries. I doubt he can even go back to 20 goals but he might. In any event, he can not be earning 6 million. 

Revisionist history.

2 yrs ago, Boeser had 49pts compared to Miller 46pts.  Last year Boeser father had complications that eventually led to him passing.  I’m willing to give Boeser a pass for last year.  Will you?? Miller had a breakout year last season.

This year, Boeser played mostly with Miller.  Yet it’s Miller that needs to move to the wing because he needs other players to cover for his mistakes.

No doubt Boeser is not living up to his current contract.  He needs to be a 30g scorer for that price.  But playing with scrubs and virtually no PP time, there’s no way he’s getting 30g.

• Cheers 3

Interesting on Hughes - He looked noticably weaker on his skates on that roadtrip than he did in Pre-season when he was fit. As bad as our D looks without him, we gotta get him rehabbed and back 100%.  

Rathbone needs a run to build his confidence and work on his decision making - there's a player there for sure, and he can be a difference maker but needs to clean up the tasty pizza throws. Rooting for Bear but i'm not sure u can play him and Rathbone in the same lineup despite them playing different sides. 

I would send Boeser out on a conditioning stint to Abby - let him get his pre season in and his confidence back. I know a lot of people are on his back right now, but he can be a special player - just seems to need to starts to absolutely align to make that happen. I don't think a semi fit, poorly conditioned Brock is the kinda player that helps us in the dirty scrap that our return to form with a thin AF blue line is gonna need. 

Podz kinda needs to get his game back - he's really fighting it right now and has been a for a few weeks - hope its just a knock or an illness or something.  He needs to put in some responsible shifts on the 4th line before he starts to climb the lineup, specially with the top 2 lines firing of late. So don't mind him there. 

Interesting to see what Studnika can bring as 3C - Aman has looked quiet good but hasn't be able to break through creatively. 

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

Revisionist history.

2 yrs ago, Boeser had 49pts compared to Miller 46pts.  Last year Boeser father had complications that eventually led to him passing.  I’m willing to give Boeser a pass for last year.  Will you?? Miller had a breakout year last season.

This year, Boeser played mostly with Miller.  Yet it’s Miller that needs to move to the wing because he needs other players to cover for his mistakes.

No doubt Boeser is not living up to his current contract.  He needs to be a 30g scorer for that price.  But playing with scrubs and virtually no PP time, there’s no way he’s getting 30g.

Miller has been averaging a point a game since he arrived in 2019.  Boeser has been on a steady decline since his rookie season.  Boeser was on a line with Horvat, so I wouldn't call him a scrub.  Also, Boeser played on the first unit PP all of last year and couldn't manage more than 23 goals.

The two players aren't even comparable right now.  Boeser doesn't even fit into our top 6 and is not a bottom six player, so there is no room for him in the lineup.  Miller does make mistakes but when he is on, he is a top 20 forward in the NHL.  Same can't be said for Boeser...

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Muttley said:

Podkolzin hanging on by a thread. Never expected this. Thought he'd guns a blazing this year. Hopefully, he turns it around...

I can't help but wonder if Podz might not be better suited getting top six ice with the baby Canucks. Just because he's a top pick doesn't mean he couldn't benefit from AHL time, at least he'd be getting his reps in as far as big minutes go. I understand he had an exciting rookie year but I also question whether the benefits of practicing with the bigs but getting fourth line ice time outweigh the benefits of playing in a top six role at the AHL level. 

He's still young, he's waivers exempt, and if the idea is to develop him into a top six player maybe it's something management should consider. 

I know this probably won't be a popular take, but being a top 10 pick isn't a guarantee of not seeing AHL time. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Revisionist history.

Brock has never had 30 goals.5 years playing,so how long do you think it will take if he ever gets 30?5 years to me seems he may never get there.

Slow start makes a bit more sense with Hughes, Myers and OEL all banged up to various degrees.  

Toss in injuries to Dermott, Poolman and Stillman. 

Less important but Boeser and Mikheyev also with injuries to start the year.

Hopefully we’re just getting some back luck out of the way early!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1