The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

95% here seem to have given up on this season, this owner, this management group, and this core (after a 2-game winning streak)!

Rate this topic

CanucksFan8353

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

We....haven't won anything yet either. 

Buffalo is one of only 5 other teams with a worse record over the last 10 years than the Canucks.  There are two clear reasons why they are currently a comparable.

Buffalo has a lot to look forward to right now.  Depth, cap space and quality youth on their team.  This took them 10 years to build.

But looking at the last decade there's not much difference in terms of success.

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 7.49.37 AM.png

It is hard to overstate... the teams below us were mostly also low budget teams spending half the dollars or less than we were and/or totally rebuilding.  Even though some of them were above the cap floor, they were using free insured LTIR dollars to make it or taking on bad contracts for assets to further their rebuild.

Win per dollar spent makes us right at the bottom.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is hard to overstate... the teams below us were mostly also low budget teams spending half the dollars or less than we were and/or totally rebuilding.  Even though some of them were above the cap floor, they were using free insured LTIR dollars to make it or taking on bad contracts for assets to further their rebuild.

Really wanna feel sad?

Strip away 2012 when we won that last presidents trophy and look at the last 9 years and it's actually really bad.

Out of all of those teams, we've been a spent to the cap team whiel they've all been very frugal.  So by that assertion yes; it's bad.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Really wanna feel sad?

Strip away 2012 when we won that last presidents trophy and look at the last 9 years and it's actually really bad.

Out of all of those teams, we've been a spent to the cap team whiel they've all been very frugal.  So by that assertion yes; it's bad.

The way I see it, is that this is an ownership issue. They spend to the cap(and that should be applauded), but they did not want to go through the pain of a rebuild, and kept trying to throw Band-Aids on the wounds. Gillis wanted to start the rebuild, but he was shut down, and later canned after a failed attempt at a coach change, when it was clear to everyone that this team's window had closed. Linden had the same idea, but ownership did not want to go through the rebuild, and here we are.

I don't think that the owners are greedy, and wanting the revenue from 1 round of the playoffs, and then get bounced. They can simply come out ahead by not spending to the cap if this was all about money. 

The bottom line, is that this ownership group needs to keep their hands out of the running of the team's on ice product to the guys they hire, and not think that they know better.

43 minutes ago, Provost said:

Spending to the cap isn't a problem per se. How you spend that cap though...

Even some of the "veteran leadership" / "foundational" money we spent is/was ok... Kids do in fact need sheltering. And let's face it, a lot of our current/recent woes are due to an acute lack of "Sutters/Beagles" (never mind the D). But you need to actually use that cap to gain assets too. Either for taking those guys on, or selling them at TDL's. And we've utterly failed at that.

Just as we utterly failed at moving Miller for more assets than spent acquiring him, and simultaneously clearing the cap space for adding a guy like Marino for peanuts.

Here's hoping they take a Mulligan on that one...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Can we also add a poll to how many of us think the Aquilini's are good owners and haven't held this franchise back?

I'd be one of them. I don't care about their personal lives, but FA has always spent to the max and whatever additional goodies when asked by a GM. If it was all about the $ he would have been cheap there too. I mean look at AZ and the poop show that thing is. 

On 10/31/2022 at 3:42 PM, CanucksFan8353 said:

The hatred is palpable for the Canucks here.  I just read post after post on the Rogers extension thread calling Aqualini a child-abuser when these allegations are unproven in a court of law and by no means confirmed and demanding the team be sold.  Sold to whom?  Who the heck is your new owner lined up that will be guaranteed to spend to the cap?  Pray tell.  Also, just so you all know, the Maple Leafs went 2-7 to open the season last year and finished with 115 points.  Look it up if you don't believe me.  I'm truly appalled that the vast majority of you on here have already written off any chance this team has to make the playoffs.  Also, the hatred here for a lot of our players is really off the charts.  It must be a real joy playing for the Canucks, knowing that the fan base hates your guts.  Is any player on this team safe from your hatred?  Also, Jim Rutherford has won multiple Stanley Cups.  The only thing I can assume is that it is ageism that makes JR so despised by the fan base when he was just hired a year ago.  ANYONE else with his pedigree would have far more of a leash.  GROW THE HECK UP.  Also, could you possibly wait until our current win streak ends, and we see where we are after the next back-to-back against Ottawa and Montreal a week from now. before you demaind a total rebuild and firing of all present ownership and management? Most fans would be happy with their team after a 2-game winning streak.  Not this drivel of hatred, we get here.

Honestly, if most Canucks fans are like the posts I see on here, we simply.do.not.deserve.a.cup.

I could see the rage if we were verified legit out of the playoffs by American Thanksgiving, but I see ZERO indication of that happening at this point.  Also, the past does not always and necessarily predict the future people.  This apoleptic rage is really stunning and disturbing (freaky) to be honest, especially given the team hasn't played 100% healthy (starting to get there) and has been starting to play well recently.

Oh great.  We have another soapbox hero here^^^^^^.

• Huggy Bear 1

"I could see the rage if we were verified legit out of the playoffs by American Thanksgiving"

We now have to win 7 of our next 10 to be at .500 by the 20 game mark on Nov 23rd (usually the bellwether point in the season that determines the likelihood of making the playoffs if at .500) to have an outside chance of perhaps maybe squeaking in the very last wildcard spot. 

I hope they do it - but get ready for... computer rage GIFrage GIFkid rage GIF

7 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'd be one of them. I don't care about their personal lives, but FA has always spent to the max and whatever additional goodies when asked by a GM. If it was all about the $ he would have been cheap there too. I mean look at AZ and the poop show that thing is. 

Meh, forget his personal issues, and even the labor controversies that surround how he treated his employees. As a fan, I never did forgive him for the way he kicked Linden to the curb after he used him to deflect blame away from ownership after the Torts fiasco. That still sits sour with me. Linden was proven correct with his slower rebuild plan.

• Huggy Bear 1

10 hours ago, DSVII said:

Meh, forget his personal issues, and even the labor controversies that surround how he treated his employees. As a fan, I never did forgive him for the way he kicked Linden to the curb after he used him to deflect blame away from ownership after the Torts fiasco. That still sits sour with me. Linden was proven correct with his slower rebuild plan.

the Linden thing is pretty complex imo. He really should have been an assistant AGM for a while before taking the big job. 

On 11/2/2022 at 1:33 PM, JM_ said:

He doesn't cheap out on much. There is one central point of failure for this ownership. And that was the refusal to bottom out and rebuild. Maybe it isn't about the playoff revenue. That's just or best guess. Maybe Aquilini the elder is a bigger hockey fan than we know. 

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He doesn't cheap out on much. There is one central point of failure for this ownership. And that was the refusal to bottom out and rebuild. Maybe it isn't about the playoff revenue. That's just or best guess. Maybe Aquilini the elder is a bigger hockey fan than we know. 

well, maybe now he'll be more open to it, we'll find out. 

The hatred is palpable for the Canucks here.  I just read post after post on the Rogers extension thread calling Aqualini a child-abuser when these allegations are unproven in a court of law and by no means confirmed and demanding the team be sold.  Sold to whom?  Who the heck is your new owner lined up that will be guaranteed to spend to the cap?  Pray tell.  Also, just so you all know, the Maple Leafs went 2-7 to open the season last year and finished with 115 points.  Look it up if you don't believe me.  I'm truly appalled that the vast majority of you on here have already written off any chance this team has to make the playoffs.  Also, the hatred here for a lot of our players is really off the charts.  It must be a real joy playing for the Canucks, knowing that the fan base hates your guts.  Is any player on this team safe from your hatred?  Also, Jim Rutherford has won multiple Stanley Cups.  The only thing I can assume is that it is ageism that makes JR so despised by the fan base when he was just hired a year ago.  ANYONE else with his pedigree would have far more of a leash.  GROW THE HECK UP.  Also, could you possibly wait until our current win streak ends, and we see where we are after the next back-to-back against Ottawa and Montreal a week from now. before you demaind a total rebuild and firing of all present ownership and management? Most fans would be happy with their team after a 2-game winning streak.  Not this drivel of hatred, we get here.

Honestly, if most Canucks fans are like the posts I see on here, we simply.do.not.deserve.a.cup.

I could see the rage if we were verified legit out of the playoffs by American Thanksgiving, but I see ZERO indication of that happening at this point.  Also, the past does not always and necessarily predict the future people.  This apoleptic rage is really stunning and disturbing (freaky) to be honest, especially given the team hasn't played 100% healthy (starting to get there) and has been starting to play well recently.

I think its more about the big picture of we will be getting worse not better after this year due to the salary cap. We will be losing one of Horvat or Kuzmenko without the opportunity to fix our defence and staying status quo for the next few years until some other contracts come off the books. Lots of our players under contract would take some big sweeteners in order to move and our prospect pool is already one of the worst in the league. We have already started the process of losing draft capital already with a second and fifth round pick traded in order to get two #6 and #8 Dmen just to stay a float. Expect more picks gone this summer in order to get rid of Myers, Pearson and potentially OEL if any team would actually want those players. That also significantly worsens our back end and you can’t replace them because the money has to go towards Horvat and Kuzmenko. 

Now we have a worse backend and potentially a few less picks. The optimism is so short sighted with some fans as it’s usually the educated group that knows what needs to happen and what could have been done to avoid this. If we traded Boeser and Miller for picks and prospects and maybe a NHL ready Dman we could have avoided all of this and those two are some of the laziest players on the team. 

im not commenting on what Benning did as he is no longer here and in charge. The new regime said Miller didn’t fit our timeline and Boeser wasn’t part of our core but they went out and locked them up to $14.675 million, you seriously can’t make this stuff up. Frustrating!!!!!!!

Edited by KyGuy123
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

I think its more about the big picture of we will be getting worse not better after this year due to the salary cap. We will be losing one of Horvat or Kuzmenko without the opportunity to fix our defence and staying status quo for the next few years until some other contracts come off the books. Lots of our players under contract would take some big sweeteners in order to move and our prospect pool is already one of the worst in the league. We have already started the process of losing draft capital already with a second and fifth round pick traded in order to get two #6 and #8 Dmen just to stay a float. Expect more picks gone this summer in order to get rid of Myers, Pearson and potentially OEL if any team would actually want those players. That also significantly worsens our back end and you can’t replace them because the money has to go towards Horvat and Kuzmenko. 

Now we have a worse backend and potentially a few less picks. The optimism is so short sighted with some fans as it’s usually the educated group that knows what needs to happen and what could have been done to avoid this. If we traded Boeser and Miller for picks and prospects and maybe a NHL ready Dman we could have avoided all of this and those two are some of the laziest players on the team. 

im not commenting on what Benning did as he is no longer here and in charge. The new regime said Miller didn’t fit our timeline and Boeser wasn’t part of our core but they went out and locked them up to $14.675 million, you seriously can’t make this stuff up. Frustrating!!!!!!!

They are just like politicians. Say a bunch of things and do the opposite

Here's how I see things playing out.

Kuzmenko is a 50+ point 20 goal player at the TDL.  Horvat is having the season of his life approaching 30 goals and 30 assists towards the TDL.  Bo comes in asking for $8 million + and Kuzmenko is asking for a short term 2 years $6.5 million deal.

Management is dangling a 45 point Boeser and Pearson hoping anyone will take them but nobody does.

Knowing we have just gone on a decent run and are only 6 points out of a playoff position management goes for it.  Trades this years 2nd and next years 1st for help now banking on LTIR cap space for a 25 year old ish player with a year or two left.  We fail to make the playoffs and Kuzmenko and Horvat are on the cusp of leaving unless their contract demands are met.

This is totally illogical.  I know.  except this has happened a few times in the last few years to this club and this is literally Jimmy Rutherford's MO as he's done exactly this numerous times in his career as GM.

How do you all feel about the likelihood of this happening?  

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Here's how I see things playing out.

Kuzmenko is a 50+ point 20 goal player at the TDL.  Horvat is having the season of his life approaching 30 goals and 30 assists towards the TDL.  Bo comes in asking for $8 million + and Kuzmenko is asking for a short term 2 years $6.5 million deal.

Management is dangling a 45 point Boeser and Pearson hoping anyone will take them but nobody does.

Knowing we have just gone on a decent run and are only 6 points out of a playoff position management goes for it.  Trades this years 2nd and next years 1st for help now banking on LTIR cap space for a 25 year old ish player with a year or two left.  We fail to make the playoffs and Kuzmenko and Horvat are on the cusp of leaving unless their contract demands are met.

This is totally illogical.  I know.  except this has happened a few times in the last few years to this club and this is literally Jimmy Rutherford's MO as he's done exactly this numerous times in his career as GM.

How do you all feel about the likelihood of this happening?  

The likelihood is awfully high. He is the win now, lose forever guy.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

A two game winning streak? So you win more than one , that's a streak....  Got it. The only real streak the canucks have had in 12 games is on the proverbial mattress.   Can you guess the color? Nothing new ;)

poop GIF

Edited by cuporbust