The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Locke Lamora said:

Stuck with Miller for just less than 8 more years. Think on that.

Can we hold hope that it’s part of some master plan haha. Remember how pumped people were for new management. I was good with Benning at least it was the devil you know lol. I don’t know what’s going on now

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

You are absolutely correct and that is in fact Problem#1.     I've can say with all certainty that this team is made up of completely incompatible players.     It's a complete scrambled mess that THIS TEAM MUST BE TAKEN APART AND REBUILT.  I can say with 100% conviction that THIS IS THE ROOT OF THE CANUCKS PROBLEMS.  

It happens. Taylor Hall is a good example of a pretty good hockey player that just didn't help Edmonton.

But I'm sure they could have got a better return than Larsson?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

At this point I wouldn’t care, zero leadership shown.. time for something to change

He's been by far our most consistent offensive performer.  Neither you or I know what he's like in the room, but he's sure as hell leading by example on the ice.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

40 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

You overestimate the return on Miller.  He had 1 year left on his deal and management felt underwhelmed at the offers they were getting and decided he was more valuable as a member of the team as opposed to trading him.  What makes you think Miller's value is higher now than it was at the deadline or draft?  

Did I say his value was higher now? 

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

This team is still a product of Bennings management.

Primarily the defense corps is the biggest deficit that Rutherford inherited.

Benning had failed to put the investment into good D... his focus, with the one exception of Hughes, (who was an offensive D) was on the forwards.

Plus he traded away or left unsigned veterans like Tanev and Edler.  Right now Tanev would be a great addition to the 3/4 pairing and Edler would be a great 5/6.

So Rutherford is left with a bad situation.

But the fact that he decides to stand pat and not acquire the defense that was desperately needed was a bad decision.

Basically an off season and draft was wasted.

The two other problems the team has are:

-  Demko is not up to speed yet... he is recovering from the injury which he suffered on April 19 2022 during the Canuck's playoff drive... he was played two games after suffering that injury which might have been a big mistake.... he subsequently required off season surgery... the actual injury has not been revealed.  If it was the same hip he had a problem with earlier in his career then it may be a more serious issue than first thought.

-  The entire Canucks team is playing poor defensively.... forwards included.  There is a real lack of coverage, lack of backchecking, the forwards are not contesting the zone entries... it can't be just the D which does that... and there is a lack of physicality in the D-Zone.  If your D-Men are smaller, as a lot of the Canucks are, then the forwards need to make up for that.

I am still wondering if it is the Assistant coaching... as I have mentioned before, the two guys who were under BB during the 2nd half of last season left for elsewhere.  The guys who replaced them are not in my opinion, great replacements.

Management has had a summer to do what re-sign a Benning player. I like the Russian moves but c’mon they can handle some heat. There are plenty of good forwards on this team they did nothing with. 

They do not deserve the benefit of the doubt imo 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Very astute of QH to finally notice ! LOL!  Too bad that won't change anytime soon because we have a bunch of square pegs trying to fit in round holes.  This team is an ardvark team made up of the wrong pieces that WILL NEVER mesh together.   It must be dis-assembled!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

It happens. Taylor Hall is a good example of a pretty good hockey player that just didn't help Edmonton.

But I'm sure they could have got a better return than Larsson?

Goes back to what I said prior. To get a dman even like Larsson takes more then there worth. Quality defencemen are few and far between now, so what would you offer up to teams that MAY be willing to part with one? Good luck... 

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's been by far our most consistent offensive performer.  Neither you or I know what he's like in the room, but he's sure as hell leading by example on the ice.

Team is a gong show though, never see him talking or any kind of interaction on the bench. Someone pointed out Taylor Hall in Edmonton, he put up points to buy they didn’t miss him when he left!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Team is a gong show though, never see him talking or any kind of interaction on the bench. Someone pointed out Taylor Hall in Edmonton, he put up points to buy they didn’t miss him when he left!

Looking like a good chance we’ll find out. Then Miller can be captain. What a sight that’ll be 

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Very astute of QH to finally notice ! LOL!  Too bad that won't change anytime soon because we have a bunch of square pegs trying to fit in round holes.  This team is an ardvark team made up of the wrong pieces that WILL NEVER mesh together.   It must be dis-assembled!

I don’t even like what he said after the game, show some damn emotion and figure out what is constantly going wrong!

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

It's already been nearly 10 years. Mediocrity isn't what this team is trying to avoid, it's what they've ironically become stuck in because of their short-sightedness.

This is exactly it.

I hope management opens their eyes enough to see it, and actually does something about it.