The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 hours ago, combover said:

Just another 

B2BC7453-3B62-4B72-BF0C-B5663F89520E.gif.d7fd18543d5ff846c5eb6f95f2e67b16.gif

it’s only been 8 years why change anything. Hope they have a BIG NEWS presser to announce nothings changing oh wait they did. Lol

Especially when fans sell out every game (when they play at home)

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

For a team that loves Bruce as much as they do, I'm not sure why they're playing him out of a job.

The team dug deep with a few minutes left in the game, but the game is 60 minutes long. They looked average-to-bad for a big majority of that. Maybe they don't have the high end D that some teams do, but it's a team game and every player should be better defensively. Plus, they have Demko, who claimed he wants to be the best in the league this year. That seems laughable the way he's played. 

The players weren't prepared to start the season, and it's snowballing with every loss. 

Good take. Agree.

My guess is that last season took so much out of them, physically and emotionally, that they really weren't ready to get back at it.

Also last season, they saw exactly what it took night in and night out to win. All that effort and they still fell short. I'm willing to bet there's a mental block there somewhere as a team at the thought of doing it all again. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

But Jersey has been picking at the top of the draft and has a lot more in the prospect pipeline than us. We tried to skirt around the hard part and have traded away pic after pic after pic to try to make up for the lack of a prospect pipeline. This is nonsensical. 

Yes Benning rly messed resisting the natural cycle as we bottomed out. But we have young core players now too, so what do you do? Completely restart & try again in a decade or work your way through it by retooling the wider group? That's the debate. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I think you should prepare yourself for Bo being dealt, like it or not amigo.

I don't think PA dare give Bo as big contract as his play atm warrants...

Maybe if Miller turns up the style again, but atm I doubt will sign another 8x8 deal for a player in a contract year.

Feel some what sad about it, but think, if they can't produce now, maybe the time has come....

Oh I already have. I’ve posted many times after this post when people argue my point. He’s gone. It’s just the wrong move. Nothing we can do about it now after re-signing Miller. It was supposed to be the other way around if we were choosing both.

I was excited about the Miller signing initially. I was waiting for the next move. We did nothing. There was no plan in place. It’s brutal

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

But... if tanking was the best thing for us this year, we should be happy. Management pulled the secret tank on the owner.

Would make sense if they didn’t re-sign Miller. Lost my trust in this management already 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Re-sign Boeser and Miller in the summer and less than a year later dump them for whatever they can get for them. What a fantastic start to this management group.

If they got some value for these pieces than it would be a fantastic start. Trades offers weren’t great for Miller and resigned on what is a value deal, to then turn and trade that with the added value of a player you are not going to lose as IFA and is on a decent value deal for a good return is fantastic asset management. 
‘Brock can’t move until deadline at earliest anyway the cap space around the league is just so thin. moving on from him is just looking at where his game is and where the NHL game has been going.  If can get some value back on him using retention and get back either quality prospects or decent picks would be worth it along with the cap flexibility IMHO. 
‘Ultimately some pieces need to go, and some major ones at that. You have to look at what can do. OEL is unmoveable and if keeps on this path will be bought out in a couple years, Pearson likely not much value, may be able to extract something out of Myers with retention, Garland, Brock and JTM just seem the most moveable.  Kuz looks like a player that will want to re-sign but also have to consider what may be able to get at deadline.  Maybe can extract some value back on Stillman at deadline, never going to get a second but sunk cost.

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

The team has to take responsibility for the way it comes out to play but IMO, the roster chosen last night was wrong. When you have a really good game,

throw the same group out for the next. Rathbone should have played. The new players need time to get use to the habits of their new team mates and vice versa.

Our defense was a cluster fudge to put it mildly. 

Last game was decent. Should've gone with the same bunch, including Spencer Martin.

I agree, what happened to rewarding good play and not for poor play? Whether its the power play, or a line or a starting line up. This has been a TG and a BB issue.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Good take. Agree.

My guess is that last season took so much out of them, physically and emotionally, that they really weren't ready to get back at it.

Also last season, they saw exactly what it took night in and night out to win. All that effort and they still fell short. I'm willing to bet there's a mental block there somewhere as a team at the thought of doing it all again. 

if thats the case, then it's true they are mentally weak. Thats reason enough to break up the band.

Imo this team is yrs away from being a contender for a cup..rebuilding the defence is top priority..this shuffling players around..trading for plug stop gaps has to stop!..start the rebuild.trade who ever..because if this keeps up it will be the same old same old 5 yrs from now..

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Re-sign Boeser and Miller in the summer and less than a year later dump them for whatever they can get for them. What a fantastic start to this management group.

yup........I don't see any other way out of this that will lead to a positive outcome down the road though.  They can't blame this one on JB

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rackdawg said:

Imo this team is yrs away from being a contender for a cup..rebuilding the defence is top priority..this shuffling players around..trading for plug stop gaps has to stop!..start the rebuild.trade who ever..because if this keeps up it will be the same old same old 5 yrs from now..

and that was JB's timeline as well, to some degree,  so we should have all expected as such.  Rebuilds take a decade or longer, we're only about 60% of the way through Van's rebuild and are at the stage where the young core is emerging and starting to take over,

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yes Benning rly messed resisting the natural cycle as we bottomed out. But we have young core players now too, so what do you do? Completely restart & try again in a decade or work your way through it by retooling the wider group? That's the debate. 

We are bad this year, playoffs are very very unlikely and at this point chasing top 5 pics is more realistic and beneficial. 
At the deadline I put all of the group of JTM, Brock, Pearson, OEL, Myers, Stillman, Garland and Dermott up for auction and use retention as incentive. 
Not going to move all but some may be possible. I only take prospects and pics and short term cap dumps to facilitate returns.
‘This gives a young core that has lost nothing, salary cap flexibility and starts to fix some of our biggest issues with the club, lack of pipeline and missing high end prospects at right D and Centre. Then again we may be picking high in the draft and go after another small winger, we are after all the Canucks. 
‘If we can make a good deal or two this will complement our core and we can start building around it properly. If we have a core group anchored by Pettey and Quinn we need to start adding size that can move. You can have small players but need to surround them with big ones who can move and go to the net.  

Edited by DrJockitch

17 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

Difference between a patient rebuild with a systems based approach, team buy-in, team speed versus trade all your picks away, keep picking up Clendenings and hope for the best.

you rely on picks and development and that's a 15 year rebuild, if things go well.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

They resigned 2 of JBs core guys; 1 to above level $$ and one to a retirement deal. They then spent 4.75m is FA to pick up a nice, but redundant piece. Thye are all in on the core...they are just cute in their messaging. 

A true ballsy move would have been to bring in a coaching staff of their often, and made moves in offseason to make it their team. They are just much of the same, with new cliche quotes.

19 minutes ago, Devron said:

They don’t get a break F that. Resigned Miller for 7 years :picard:

Let me clarify, they get the blame for moves they’ve made for sure BUT the overall performance of the team still echos benning’s doing after 7 years of mismanagement of the cap, bad drafting, trading away picks and prospect for “project players” and spending too much in free agency 

I didn’t support re-signing Miller and boeser then and I still don’t. They were signed to fair market value deals but it wasn’t the right move for the Canucks

the market for wingers has cratered and the management group saw that so they held onto the asset…at least for now 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

In a salary cap world it happens all the time. If a team has players that they tried to trade during the seanon and did not like what was offer, and those players need new contracts they sign them to retain assets. They can then try again to get the trade they want or if needed move on from those players for the better of the teams future with a not so ideal trade.

Edited by vancan2233
  • Upvote 1