The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins Sign former Renounced Coyotes Draft Pick Mitchell Miller to ELC [UPDATE] BRUINS RESCIND CONTRACT

AngryElf

3 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Kane is a douche, this Miller kid is a straight up sociopath. He tortured a child with disabilities for 7 years and has shown no remorse what so ever. This is way worst.

People deserve second chances, but not by default. They are earned. This kid has only earned the right to rot away in obscurity as far as I'm concerned.

Heatley and Mactavish committed criminal offences leading to people’s deaths and were allowed to resume their hockey careers.  Mitchell lost a college scholarship and years of development.  Should he be hung up in the street tarred feathered and stoned so the public can achieve eye for an eye?

to be clear I think the guy has or atleast had serious character issues but I think cancelling children is over the top.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Heatley and Mactavish committed criminal offences leading to people’s deaths and were allowed to resume their hockey careers.  Mitchell lost a college scholarship and years of development.  Should he be hung up in the street tarred feathered and stoned so the public can achieve eye for an eye?

to be clear I think the guy has or atleast had serious character issues but I think cancelling children is over the top.

what this kid did is one step away from hurting cats for fun. He clearly had a lot of issues and very little remorse, until it mattered to his career. 

I don't care about easy yap, show me what he's actually done to make amends. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Heatley made a horrible mistake and paid for it. I reckon that mistake haunted him for the rest of his life.

This kid is a sociopath. He could care less that he tortured this child. He never even apologised. He should be canceled. He has not earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt. Some people are evil, and those people deserve to rot. This kid is in that boat, as far as I'm concerned.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Heatley and Mactavish committed criminal offences leading to people’s deaths and were allowed to resume their hockey careers.

Are you insinuating that they both meant to kill the victims? Or are you insinuating that Mitchell didn't mean to use racial slurs, bully a handicapped child and make him ingest candy from a urinal?

Accidents and intentional actions are completely different things. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Are you insinuating that they both meant to kill the victims? Or are you insinuating that Mitchell didn't mean to use racial slurs, bully a handicapped child and make him ingest candy from a urinal?

Accidents and intentional actions are completely different things. 

Would you feel like that if someone killed your child?  They never get an opportunity to live their life.  Accident or not murder is murder and both bullying and driving impaired are supremely stupid choices.  Socially I find it interesting why people are so much faster to permanently cancel someone for something that happened in their childhood.

4 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Would you feel like that if someone killed your child?  They never get an opportunity to live their life.  Accident or not murder is murder and both bullying and driving impaired are supremely stupid choices.  Socially I find it interesting why people are so much faster to permanently cancel someone for something that happened in their childhood.

This has nothing to do with childhood, at all. If a grown ass man did this it would be even more despicable. This guy didn't make a momentary lap of judgement and alter his, and the victims life. This sociopath enjoyed torturing this kid and did it over many years. There's a massive difference between the 2, and honestly is weird you can't see that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Socially I find it interesting why people are so much faster to permanently cancel someone for something that happened in their childhood.

its not this much of a blanket situation, its not like people are running around saying all kids should be cancelled for their actions. 

Again, this is about this particular kid and what he did. Blanket comments don't really get us anywhere. What has this particular kid done to try to correct what he did.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

This has nothing to do with childhood, at all. If a grown ass man did this it would be even more despicable. This guy didn't make a momentary lap of judgement and alter his, and the victims life. This sociopath enjoyed torturing this kid and did it over many years. There's a massive difference between the 2, and honestly is weird you can't see that. 

I just don’t think it’s reasonable to cancel the guy permanently, if he’s taken steps to improve himself and learned from it which based on the reports of the agent he has then why not provide a chance for redemption?  Obviously if there’s a single incident one strike your out.  Growing up I was bullied it was awful I overcame it but the bully has to live with what they did.  Most of the bully’s I had run ins with had screwed up home life’s with broken homes or addicted parents and frustrated with the world.  Maybe I’m too empathetic a person.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

I just don’t think it’s reasonable to cancel the guy permanently, if he’s taken steps to improve himself and learned from it which based on the reports of the agent he has then why not provide a chance for redemption?  Obviously if there’s a single incident one strike your out.  Growing up I was bullied it was awful I overcame it but the bully has to live with what they did.  Most of the bully’s I had run ins with had screwed up home life’s with broken homes or addicted parents and frustrated with the world.  Maybe I’m too empathetic a person.

Didn't they just outlaw pedophile registries? Even convicted felons have the opportunity for parole and eventual reintegration into society. This kid was 14 when caught. I would hope that he has had professional help since then. 

34 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

What steps? Reports say he didn't appolgize or make any attempt at contact what so ever until he had a huge sum of money sitting in front of him. The only way that's "improving himself" is financially. The mother of the child just made a statement saying they have not received any sort of sincere apology or attempt to make things right. Infact, he refused to apologize in his draft year when the Yotes required him to do. He straight up refused to attempt to make amends. That means he felt he didn't need to, he had nothing to apologize for. That's the signs of a person who was proud of their behaviour.

This one is not a single strike. This is a pattern of malicious behavior over the course of many years preying on someone vulnerable. This pos woke up in the morning and knew he was going to engage in this behaviors. 

Maybe you are to emphatic. But nothing I've read from you sounds at all emphatic to me. At least in this discussion you sound nieve.

And to be clear, I don't think he needs to be cancelled permanently. He can live a normal life like the majority of the population. But I do not think he should be given the opportunity to earn millions of dollars and live our his dreams. I don't think evil people deserve that opportunity.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2022 at 5:23 PM, HKSR said:

Definitely a Bruin type player.  What a loser.

EDIT:  Ok, he was in 8th grade, so I'll give him that excuse.  At 13 or 14 years old, his brain is still developing. 

Empathy is around 10-12 years when developing. Being 14 bullying people the way he did is not a good sign. 

12 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Devils advocate if a 14 year old murdered someone what jobs would they be ineligible for when they are 25 years old?

Miller is or at atleast was a POS but what’s the extent of cancelling someone over something they did as a teenager.  Is what he did worse than what any adult  physically abusing a spouse/partner.  Can you argue any of Evander Kane’s shenanigans as an adult aren’t on par with Miller’s douchebaggery?

The things he did shows that it’s a risk he is a bad influence in a roster.

If he’s cleaning toilets no one would argue about his bullying but now he is supposed to build team spirit.

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

59 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Didn't they just outlaw pedophile registries? Even convicted felons have the opportunity for parole and eventual reintegration into society. This kid was 14 when caught. I would hope that he has had professional help since then. 

Do you believe the bullied kid’s family or think they are lying? It’s one or the other because if you read their earlier story and statement you’d have a very clear answer opposite the one you currently think. He hasn’t taken any of the proper steps to improve himself or learn from it unless you believe his agent and Miller’s words backed up with zero actions over the family whose kid was and likely is traumatized for the rest of their life. I’m choosing to believe the victim and not the perpetrator. Talk is cheap. Anyone can say anything, but not anyone actually means what they say.

- He continued bullying him physically and emotionally for nearly a decade, as recently as 2018.

- He didn’t apologize until the Bruins management said it was required for a signing.

- In his public apology he still refers to his despicable actions over many years as the incident.

- His only apology to the family was in an instantly deleted Snapchat message.

- He hasn’t met with or apologized directly in person to the family and trauma ridden kid.

- The Coyotes who drafted him asked him to apologize and he refused.

- He was convicted in juvenile court and an apology was ordered by the court.

- The judge William Hutchenson, the juvenile magistrate in the case, even said to Miller, “I don’t have a sense of real remorse. But I do feel that you feel sorry for yourself.”

At some point you have to be able to know the difference between true remorse and worth of a second chance and someone doing so only in order to benefit themselves that doesn’t actually mean anything they say. There’s such a thing as pr bs when someone or some company has been caught doing wrong. Or maybe I guess you believe everything everyone says, yet oddly don’t believe the family of the victim. Meanwhile the victim continues to face mental trauma every time this happens furthering the damage Miller caused.

How about you and everyone else so willing to give the kid another chance do two things: 1) ask yourself if all of the above happened to your child what you would feel instead of it being a black disabled one you can easily detach yourself from and 2) read the family’s latest statement that just came out and decide who in this case is worth believing and supporting.

Bruins’ Mitchell Miller signing ‘stunned’ bullying victim’s family — mother says son ‘not doing well’ after the news

https://theathletic.com/3766096/2022/11/06/mitchell-miller-bruins-bullying-victim/?amp=1

“It’s sad in that Mitchell and his family think his career trumps being a good person? That’s kind of the message the Bruins are sending out too — that talent trumps what you do,” said Meyer-Crothers. “I can’t say it enough. We want Mitchell to get the help that he needs. Because he needs help, too. So we’re not against that, at all. But it’s a privilege to play hockey. Maybe he should have been rehabilitated, and then re-focused and re-looked at to play hockey after he truly was rehabilitated and understood the magnitude of what he’s done to our son.”

“Every time this is brought up, it puts him right back to where he was,” said Meyer-Crothers of her adopted son. “To sit at the table with Mitchell in seventh grade, he had to say he was his N-word, or he had to sit by himself at the lunch room. It’s all this stuff that keeps replaying in his mind all the time. That he’s not of value. That his life doesn’t matter. He was told his Black mom and dad didn’t love him; that’s why he has White parents. Imagine the identity problems that Isaiah’s dealing with.

“He was already behind the eight-ball because he had fetal alcohol syndrome and drug exposure. So cognitively, he’s already behind. Then you’re adding this stuff on to a kid that just wants to have friends. Because he already knows he’s not functioning like the other kids. He was tormented. That’s where I’m struggling.”

“This has been something every time when Mitchell turns around and tries to get on to another hockey team,” Crothers said. “Last year, it was his USHL team. Being drafted by Arizona. Every time this comes up, everybody reaches out to us and to him. This is like the third or fourth time we’ve been through this circus, all over the same situation. Every time, Mitchell has chosen never to reach out and apologize.

“The only time he sought Isaiah out to apologize to him was about a week and a half ago when Boston told him, ‘We’re not signing you unless you apologize.’ So then he decided, ‘Hey, I better get ahold of Isaiah and apologize.’ At that point, he was sorry, but it wasn’t hockey-related. He told Isaiah specifically that he was sorry, that this was not hockey-related, he just really wanted to help kids in a similar situation. That’s why he was reaching out. He tried to sit down with Isaiah and tell him he was sorry, but it was all because of this, because of being signed by Boston. It was about hockey. It wasn’t about kids. It wasn’t about being sorry. It was about his hockey. So it’s empty.”

“The biggest thing people need to know is it’s not a one-time thing,” Meyer-Crothers said. “It was years and years and years of abuse and torment. Our son is an emotional mess at the hands of Mitchell. I’m so thankful the organization wants to help Mitchell. But you’re forgetting that there’s a victim that is traumatized for the rest of his life. What are we doing for him? Because he doesn’t have a hockey talent, his life isn’t as significant? That’s how we kind of feel.

“They keep using the word mistake. He made a ‘mistake’ when he was 14. My problem with Sweeney and with Mitchell is, let’s call it what it was. It was years of abuse. It wasn’t one time. A mistake is maybe something stupid. But what he did really is a lot more. It was premeditated.”

“Isaiah is just victimized over and over again because Mitchell’s a good hockey player,” she said. “So it’s like you don’t have to show that you’ve grown and you’re remorseful because you’re a good hockey player, so that trumps everything Isaiah’s went through. So it minimizes what Isaiah’s went through and makes him feel like he went through everything in vain. That his life doesn’t matter. And his life does matter. His life matters significantly.”

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

no thats not correct: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supreme-court-sex-offenders-register-1.6632701

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

It's not actually murder... it's vehicular manslaughter. I don't see how you can't tell the difference between doing something by accident and intentionally doing something (or in this case numerous somethings over numerous occasions). Apples and Oranges bud. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, coryberg said:

It's not actually murder... it's vehicular manslaughter. I don't see how you can't tell the difference between doing something by accident and intentionally doing something (or in this case numerous somethings over numerous occasions). Apples and Oranges bud. 

Would you rather I bully you or accidentally kill you.  I’d rather be alive but that’s just me.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Do you believe the bullied kid’s family or think they are lying? It’s one or the other because if you read their earlier story and statement you’d have a very clear answer opposite the one you currently think. He hasn’t taken any of the proper steps to improve himself or learn from it unless you believe his agent and Miller’s words backed up with zero actions over the family whose kid was and likely is traumatized for the rest of their life. I’m choosing to believe the victim and not the perpetrator. Talk is cheap. Anyone can say anything, but not anyone actually means what they say.

- He continued bullying him physically and emotionally for nearly a decade, as recently as 2018.

- He didn’t apologize until the Bruins management said it was required for a signing.

- In his public apology he still refers to his despicable actions over many years as the incident.

- His only apology to the family was in an instantly deleted Snapchat message.

- He hasn’t met with or apologized directly in person to the family and trauma ridden kid.

- The Coyotes who drafted him asked him to apologize and he refused.

- He was convicted in juvenile court and an apology was ordered by the court.

- The judge William Hutchenson, the juvenile magistrate in the case, even said to Miller, “I don’t have a sense of real remorse. But I do feel that you feel sorry for yourself.”

At some point you have to be able to know the difference between true remorse and worth of a second chance and someone doing so only in order to benefit themselves that doesn’t actually mean anything they say. There’s such a thing as pr bs when someone or some company has been caught doing wrong. Or maybe I guess you believe everything everyone says, yet oddly don’t believe the family of the victim. Meanwhile the victim continues to face mental trauma every time this happens furthering the damage Miller caused.

How about you and everyone else so willing to give the kid another chance do two things: 1) ask yourself if all of the above happened to your child what you would feel instead of it being a black disabled one you can easily detach yourself from and 2) read the family’s latest statement that just came out and decide who in this case is worth believing and supporting.

Bruins’ Mitchell Miller signing ‘stunned’ bullying victim’s family — mother says son ‘not doing well’ after the news

https://theathletic.com/3766096/2022/11/06/mitchell-miller-bruins-bullying-victim/?amp=1

“It’s sad in that Mitchell and his family think his career trumps being a good person? That’s kind of the message the Bruins are sending out too — that talent trumps what you do,” said Meyer-Crothers. “I can’t say it enough. We want Mitchell to get the help that he needs. Because he needs help, too. So we’re not against that, at all. But it’s a privilege to play hockey. Maybe he should have been rehabilitated, and then re-focused and re-looked at to play hockey after he truly was rehabilitated and understood the magnitude of what he’s done to our son.”

“Every time this is brought up, it puts him right back to where he was,” said Meyer-Crothers of her adopted son. “To sit at the table with Mitchell in seventh grade, he had to say he was his N-word, or he had to sit by himself at the lunch room. It’s all this stuff that keeps replaying in his mind all the time. That he’s not of value. That his life doesn’t matter. He was told his Black mom and dad didn’t love him; that’s why he has White parents. Imagine the identity problems that Isaiah’s dealing with.

“He was already behind the eight-ball because he had fetal alcohol syndrome and drug exposure. So cognitively, he’s already behind. Then you’re adding this stuff on to a kid that just wants to have friends. Because he already knows he’s not functioning like the other kids. He was tormented. That’s where I’m struggling.”

“This has been something every time when Mitchell turns around and tries to get on to another hockey team,” Crothers said. “Last year, it was his USHL team. Being drafted by Arizona. Every time this comes up, everybody reaches out to us and to him. This is like the third or fourth time we’ve been through this circus, all over the same situation. Every time, Mitchell has chosen never to reach out and apologize.

“The only time he sought Isaiah out to apologize to him was about a week and a half ago when Boston told him, ‘We’re not signing you unless you apologize.’ So then he decided, ‘Hey, I better get ahold of Isaiah and apologize.’ At that point, he was sorry, but it wasn’t hockey-related. He told Isaiah specifically that he was sorry, that this was not hockey-related, he just really wanted to help kids in a similar situation. That’s why he was reaching out. He tried to sit down with Isaiah and tell him he was sorry, but it was all because of this, because of being signed by Boston. It was about hockey. It wasn’t about kids. It wasn’t about being sorry. It was about his hockey. So it’s empty.”

“The biggest thing people need to know is it’s not a one-time thing,” Meyer-Crothers said. “It was years and years and years of abuse and torment. Our son is an emotional mess at the hands of Mitchell. I’m so thankful the organization wants to help Mitchell. But you’re forgetting that there’s a victim that is traumatized for the rest of his life. What are we doing for him? Because he doesn’t have a hockey talent, his life isn’t as significant? That’s how we kind of feel.

“They keep using the word mistake. He made a ‘mistake’ when he was 14. My problem with Sweeney and with Mitchell is, let’s call it what it was. It was years of abuse. It wasn’t one time. A mistake is maybe something stupid. But what he did really is a lot more. It was premeditated.”

“Isaiah is just victimized over and over again because Mitchell’s a good hockey player,” she said. “So it’s like you don’t have to show that you’ve grown and you’re remorseful because you’re a good hockey player, so that trumps everything Isaiah’s went through. So it minimizes what Isaiah’s went through and makes him feel like he went through everything in vain. That his life doesn’t matter. And his life does matter. His life matters significantly.”

What are your thoughts on Kyrie Irving’s coerced apology to maintain his NBA career after promoting hate against the Jewish community amongst millions of followers on social media.  In a couple weeks he will be playing basketball again and potentially done worse than Miller?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Kane is a douche, this Miller kid is a straight up sociopath. He tortured a child with disabilities for 7 years and has shown no remorse what so ever. This is way worst.

People deserve second chances, but not by default. They are earned. This kid has only earned the right to rot away in obscurity as far as I'm concerned.

Playing in the NHL or any profession league is a privilege.. Not a right. The people who want to play Devils advocate here don't seem to understand this. He's not being told he cannot get a job. He's not being gifted the privilege to play in the league after the horrific things he did to another child.

Easiest way to put it is this kid fudged around, And now he's finding out

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

What are your thoughts on Kyrie Irving’s coerced apology to maintain his NBA career after promoting hate against the Jewish community amongst millions of followers on social media.  In a couple weeks he will be playing basketball again and potentially done worse than Miller?

I don’t understand this tendency when trying to defend one’s position to point to someone or something else. Does it effect this current situation at all? No, but it is a whataboutism and deflection in order to try to lessen the impact of criticism of a persons opinion. This one’s real easy, just like with any other incident or person you bring up to me: No it’s not ok. Two wrongs never make a right. He was wrong to do so, his apology was insincere and forced and he shouldn’t be allowed to play again unless he has shown through actions (words don’t count) that he is remorseful and working hard to educate himself and become a better person. That is the only time someone should be deserving of a second chance. That fact goes for any professional athlete in any league who has done/or said racist, bullying or bigoted things or actions that you or anyone else points to. It’s not the gotcha question I think you believe it is.

Now to get back on subject do you believe the victim’s family or not?

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Like 2