The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins Sign former Renounced Coyotes Draft Pick Mitchell Miller to ELC [UPDATE] BRUINS RESCIND CONTRACT

AngryElf

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I said didn’t know his back was broken and stand by that. 

I was just quoting your reply to Pears-Trying to let Pears know he is arguing against his own strawman

nobody said they cheered for his back being broken, likewise nobody has said they were not cheering an injury to a player.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

There is such massive change in social development between the age he was then and the age he is now. He may be truly horrified at the actions of his younger self (as most of us are!).

None of us know. We can only speculate. Most people mature over time. There is certainly societal value in accepting a genuine apology. It will be interesting to follow his story now that hes back in the spotlight.

I think we all know at 14-17 years old that picking on a retarded person is sick. This Miller kid was picking on that regarded person at age 17 and likely even more after that.  To me, that’s a sicko.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

As someone with a brother who has autism, the thought of this type of thing is my nightmare. What this guy did is psychopathic and can rot in hell. This wasn't just teasing - stuff like this only belongs in places like Auschwitz...

My brother (rest in peace) was retarded.  It’s disgusting that anyone would bully retarded people.  All people know that’s sick behaviour. 

11 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

As someone with a brother who has autism, the thought of this type of thing is my nightmare. What this guy did is psychopathic and can rot in hell. This wasn't just teasing - stuff like this only belongs in places like Auschwitz...

Imagine making a child with autism literally eat your piss ridden shorts or whatever the hell he did... What a horrifying and traumatic ordeal for that poor soul.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

My brother (rest in peace) was retarded.  It’s disgusting that anyone would bully retarded people.  All people know that’s sick behaviour. 

Alf - love ya to death but we haven't used that term in a long time and for good reason - Person with a Disability is much more appropriate

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

There is such massive change in social development between the age he was then and the age he is now. He may be truly horrified at the actions of his younger self (as most of us are!).

None of us know. We can only speculate. Most people mature over time. There is certainly societal value in accepting a genuine apology. It will be interesting to follow his story now that hes back in the spotlight.

There is 2 forms of I’m sorry

first is a true understanding. This route starts and ends with him going back to his victim and working his way back from there 

the second is photo ops before the camera saying a few words and then expecting to be able to move forward as if it never happened. The victim is no part of this. 

The player chose to apologies to a camera and tell a camera he will do better. The camera isn’t alive so can’t respond 

14 year olds are developed enough to know that going after a disabled kid is deplorable behaviour ….  The other kid couldn’t even defend himself and this show for the camera is as fake as it gets.  

I don’t think he should be banned for life from sport .,,I do feel he should be told that when his victim says he accepts the apology …. That’s when his path to the nhl should begin 

the fact that the victim is not even part of this speaks volumes ….  The player doesn’t owe you or I any apology ….. and has nothing he needs to do to make it right for us. He does however need to make it right for his morally repulsive bullying of a disabled student to the actual person he harmed 

Edited by Sapper

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

This is horrible. The Bruins are truly a classless organization to sign this guy. I read about the things he did to this disabled kid and it’s absolutely disgusting. 

Disabled yes.  But this kid was mentally unable to understand he was being taken advantage of.  How can anyone take advantage of people who don’t have the mental capacity to understand what’s happening?  That’s  just beyond sick.  

Seems about right for the Bruins organization.   The Bruins, Blackhawks, and now Oilers don't put much stock into morality.  The douchier the better for these organizations.    

I don't care if this punk did this as a teenager or younger - you know better than to do that.  One would have to live under a rock to not know what bullying is or why it is wrong, let alone bullying someone with special needs. 

Signings like this make me sick.  I am not saying I am entirely for cancel - culture but consequences should be signifcantly more dire.  This punk should be banned from NHL, or juniors.  Same with trash bags like Kane (take your pick Evander or Patrick), Slava Voynov, Steve Downie,  etc. Should not be on contracts

Though as an aside I prefer the term Neuro-divergent - I find it more inclusive with less negative connotation of someone being "less-than".   Regardless of the diversity there is always an area a person excels.  Be it someone on the spectrum, someone with downs, etc.  

2 minutes ago, Danie_Canuck said:

Seems about right for the Bruins organization.   The Bruins, Blackhawks, and now Oilers don't put much stock into morality.  The douchier the better for these organizations.    

I don't care if this punk did this as a teenager or younger - you know better than to do that.  One would have to live under a rock to not know what bullying is or why it is wrong, let alone bullying someone with special needs. 

Signings like this make me sick.  I am not saying I am entirely for cancel - culture but consequences should be signifcantly more dire.  This punk should be banned from NHL, or juniors.  Same with trash bags like Kane (take your pick Evander or Patrick), Slava Voynov, Steve Downie,  etc. Should not be on contracts

Though as an aside I prefer the term Neuro-divergent - I find it more inclusive with less negative connotation of someone being "less-than".   Regardless of the diversity there is always an area a person excels.  Be it someone on the spectrum, someone with downs, etc.  

Dose the victim here suffer from Down’s Syndrome?  Holy SH*t!  This Miller person is beyond a sick MOFU. 

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dose the victim here suffer from Down’s Syndrome?  Holy SH*t!  This Miller person is beyond a sick MOFU. 

I don't know if this victim does - I mentioned downs because I friends who's children have it, my spouse has a cousin with downs and so many write off people with downs as being just special needs and do not see the amazing talents that each has.  Much like autism, lots are great at math, or art etc, but because they communicate/act/look etc differently than neuro-typical they are labeled as "slow", or "special needs" or worse "retarded" 

In this case, Isaiah Meyer-Crothers (Mitchell Millers victim) I don't think his disability was ever published.  Nor should it be, that is a personal thing.   But I do recall reading that Miller continuously called this kid the N word, and the physical bullying was from the 1st grade onward.  Long enough for something to have been done... So again no excuse - age and youth are no excuse in this punks case.  I also read that Miller only had to write a court mandated apology but he has shown little remorse for this actions (remorse for his consequences but not his actions towards the victim) 

• Thanks 1

Had Miller apologized in person to Meyer-Crothers like his accomplice did, I would maybe consider giving him a second chance.

An Instagram statement just one week ago, many years after he had the opportunity to make a proper apology and not just a court-mandated statement, just doesn't cut it for me. Dude's gonna have to do way more than that to atone for what he did to that kid.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think we all know at 14-17 years old that picking on a retarded person is sick. This Miller kid was picking on that regarded person at age 17 and likely even more after that.  To me, that’s a sicko.  

Its obviously disgusting behaviour. 

Also, teenagers are idiots. They follow their peers' influence and they are incapable of thinking through their actions. This kid is not beyond redemption. 

We cant be willing to completely write somebody off because of disgusting behaviour they once had when they were a teenager. If someone is sincere, they are worth forgiveness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

Its obviously disgusting behaviour. 

Also, teenagers are idiots. They follow their peers' influence and they are incapable of thinking through their actions. This kid is not beyond redemption. 

We cant be willing to completely write somebody off because of disgusting behaviour they once had when they were a teenager. If someone is sincere, they are worth forgiveness.

Of course.  Has Miller been sincere in his apology to the victim?  Sounds like he hasn’t.  Sounds like Miller is one very sick MOFU. 

1 hour ago, Sapper said:

There is 2 forms of I’m sorry

first is a true understanding. This route starts and ends with him going back to his victim and working his way back from there 

the second is photo ops before the camera saying a few words and then expecting to be able to move forward as if it never happened. The victim is no part of this. 

The player chose to apologies to a camera and tell a camera he will do better. The camera isn’t alive so can’t respond 

14 year olds are developed enough to know that going after a disabled kid is deplorable behaviour ….  The other kid couldn’t even defend himself and this show for the camera is as fake as it gets.  

I don’t think he should be banned for life from sport .,,I do feel he should be told that when his victim says he accepts the apology …. That’s when his path to the nhl should begin 

the fact that the victim is not even part of this speaks volumes ….  The player doesn’t owe you or I any apology ….. and has nothing he needs to do to make it right for us. He does however need to make it right for his morally repulsive bullying of a disabled student to the actual person he harmed 

You're not wrong! 

(Except the part about 14 year olds understanding the consequences of their behaviour on other people. They dont. They are in the process of learning this, but they do not understand it.)

But yeah, obviously a false apology for the sake of public relations would be awful. And yes, a sincere apology is ideal. 

Ideally, the perpetrator learns how they impacted the victim, feels deep regret and compassion, truly integrate that experience and never have that behaviour again. 

We just dont know if this is the case here. It may be. He may be absolutely genuine. Or maybe the kid is a dirt ball for life. I dont know. Neither do you. I just think its wild how many people are willing to completely write off a kid for a situation they know nothing about.