The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Ottawa Senators | Nov. 08, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, The King of Kings said:

why many fans want to trade an asset when you know his value is at all time low currently?

Same thing happened during the earlier part of last season.  People wanted to trade Petterson when we all knew the trade value was low when he struggled.

That was 110% a joke.

10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's an exaggeration.  

OEL following his man behind the net isn't that outrageous.  Myers is a step behind and should recognize that OEL is going that way and then stay back instead of aggressively attacking behind the net as well.  

The puck then goes through Martin's crease and past two Canuck forwards.  

Sure that's not a good play by OEL, but calling it "horrendous" is some diva stuff by Faber. 

OEL should just change his name to Oliver EdLer at this point because the complainers have chosen him as the gripe du jour.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Looking at some of our losses so far...

Here are the games we lost where we had leads

3-0 vs Edm

2-0 vs Philly

4-2 vs Wash

2-0 vs Colombus

3-2 vs Minni

3-0 vs Nash

Those should realistically be 4-1-1 at worst. We would then be 2nd in the pacific with 20 pts... 

Demko simply has to be better.  He has bailed our team out so often previosuly that I feel like he is getting a free pass right now.

He is not playing big in net.  A lot of point shots are going in through the screen where it would have normally hit him. 

I see the tire fire on defense. Myers and OEL HAVE to be better.  

Despite all this, I see many pros compared to cons this year.

With the high scoring  hockey,a lot of guys I want to trade may put up good numbers. Boeser is on pace to put up 60+ pts (over 82 games) . Maybe Millsy does put up over a pt / game. A lot of our guys are set to score career highs. Petey is smashing his pt/game previous best. Even Luke Fricking Schenn is at a 30 pt pace and on pace for a +37

That would be like a first rounder at the deadline LOL. Mikhayev also at a 65 pt pace. 

Every single player on paper is worth their contracts and would be a great addition to another team.

I'm hoping that worst case scenario is that every single player has increased his trade value compared to last year.

Best case scenario is that the team figures out team defence, Demko gets back to playing like Demko and we go on a serious run where they change our minds

I'm hoping worst case scenario is that at the TDL, if we are a borderline wildcard team 7-10th place, we blow it up and trade all of our players who have hopefully put up career numbers this year with minimal/no cap retained.  

The fact that so many of our GA came from the PK helps mask player's deficiencies on defense as their +- is not affected by it.

I'm choosing to look at this season as glass half full.  It looks like a win win to me.

Only way we lose is if we are 7-10 at the TDL and stand pat like last year.  If so, JR and PA need to go.

No matter what , In the post-season interviews It's going to be the same ol' 'we lost out of the playoffs by 4 pts but only if we had won those games earlier in the yr'..Teams a cliche.

I have had nothing to cheer about since 2011, literally..

man, I sound like we lost or something ..:picard:

26 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

OEL should just change his name to Oliver EdLer at this point because the complainers have chosen him as the gripe du jour.

He's having an off year. Last year he was solid running the pp when Hughes was out. This year not so much.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He's having an off year. Last year he was solid running the pp when Hughes was out. This year not so much.

He's definitely struggled in the first 12 games, but there's a large section of Canuck fans that hate him no matter what he does.  

The fact that there were people complaining about him non-stop last year was laughable.  

12 minutes ago, JamesB said:

My takeways:

1. Nice to see the win. Martin let in a bad 2nd goal and  it is hard to give a goalie a "steal" when he allows 4 goals,but Martin had a very good game overall. He deserved the W.

2. The PK and the D generally continue to struggle.  It would be good to get Dermott back. Rathbone had relatively protected minutes and was not great -- better than Stillman but not great. I would put Burroughs in for the next game even if it means playing on his off side.

3. On the positive side, OEL had a good night.,  No sure why there are so many critics. He was not good on the first goal but his problem was that he was outskated by DeBrincat. But OEL is just not a fast skater anymore. And Myers should have made a better play on this goal. Myers, in my view, played poorly tonight. In the "advanced stats" (expected goals for percentage) OEL was the best D tonight and it was not close. But Myers was not good enough to be on the top shutdown pairing. I hope Bear goes back with OEL in that role against Montreal,

4. Miller, Horvat, and  Petey were all good up the middle. Mikheyev keeps improving. Boeser's return was underwhelming.

5. Great to see the win for Bruce. LIke most of CDC I think Rutherford's criticisms are off the mark and Rutherford should take a lot of the blame for the poor start. Maybe he was just strategically trying to motivate the team, but I think it was a cheap shot.This team is not good enough but that is on JR (and Benning), not Bruce.

Just on my own observations it seemed like Myers played well coming back from injury while OEL really struggled and the last few games OEL has looked better but Myers has been brutal.  Just the eye test at a glance, though.  

Overall I think the defence is a team issue rather than one or two guys - even if those two haven’t had good overall seasons thus far.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Exactly, not to mention the complete lack of professionalism.  If I'm Aquilini, I'm hauling that piece of **** into my office and informing him that if he ever disgraces the franchise by pulling a stunt like that again. he will be fired on the spot. 

I appreciate your subtle, nuanced takes, I really do :metal:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3