The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Nov. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, guntrix said:

We need to stop the habit of blindly defending players. That’s never helped.

Miller was playing for his payday last year. Not the case anymore. I do worry about Miller keeping up last year’s intensity when he’s not playing for himself anymore 

"We" don't need to do anything. It's not blindly defending....he was one of the league's top point getters last year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Yep, was just going to post that....funny they never ever do address the part about what he did that was positive. Nope, that doesn't fit the agenda.

every player can get nick picked to death. If someone thinks Miller isn't a good player they don't have any credibility, imo. 

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

"We" don't need to do anything. It's not blindly defending....he was one of the league's top point getters last year. 

I like how you conveniently ignored the point about contractual differences between last year and this one. 

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

The lack of reading comprehension is off the charts at CDC today!

No one said Miller is a bad player. But there’s a difference between playing for the payday of your career and playing post-payday. 

Yes, sure....Miller just doesn't care.

That's totally his personality. Guntrix says so.

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, guntrix said:

We need to stop the habit of blindly defending players. That’s never helped.

Miller was playing for his payday last year. Not the case anymore. I do worry about Miller keeping up last year’s intensity when he’s not playing for himself anymore 

No he wasn't playing for his "pay day" last year. This year is the final year of his existing contract. Some people need to get their facts straight before spouting off. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I just can’t believe they overlooked the importance of assistant coaches again.

Like you didn’t learn your lesson with Baumgartner and you doubled down on another rookie coach from the farm to handle our biggest area of weakness?

The moment Shaw said he was moving on they should have been calling up John Stevens and offering him whatever he wanted.

The incompetence involved in these coaching decisions is baffling. How long did it take them to realize that Shaw was in the wrong role? And then they replace him with Yeo? A guy with a horrible track record for coaching?

It shouldn’t be a shock to anyone that our D and pk are struggling. Yes the personnel is an issue but there’s no way it should be this bad. That comes down to the poor coaching hires.

No, the top defencemen are making mental mistakes, has nothing to do with the system. They could have the simplest play at hand and still manage to try something other than the simple play. Watch them its mental just like Demko. Both OEL and Myers (most the D) are making rookie decisions with the puck. They do not pratice the plays they make, its on them and no one else. If Yeo is getting called out because of the defensemen mental lapses why is goaltending guru Torenius not in the same situation.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if Demko realizes the damage to our club his crappy play is causing?  

I wonder if he realizes that he was the only reason we were in the hunt last season?

Wonder if he thought management would have done more to help him in the offseason?

I think he knows how much this team relies on him.

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Werenski done for the season in Columbus. They all of a sudden have space to add another D.

Maybe they’d take a look at Myers if the cost is cheap?

Only one more season of his contract. Nyquist coming off their books and the cap going up.

OEL would be a better fit but I can't see them taking that contact. Maybe Rathbone? 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if Demko realizes the damage to our club his crappy play is causing?  

I think the fact that he cares about his play is making it worse on him mentally. It's a massive mental hurdle he's trying to work himself out of. If he didn't care, it'd probably be easier to re-find his game. But every goal allowed is just compounding on the pressure he's putting on himself right now.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

I’m hoping JT is the last guy to be mentoring Podz lol

I dunno. For the last three years or so, the one consistent thing I’ve heard said about Podkolzin is that he “needs to be more selfish.” :ph34r:

(I’m just kidding. Sure Miller didn’t look too great last game, between the turnover on the Dach goal and JT going pointless in a game when the team needed scoring from its big guns. But he’d scored 10 points in his previous 7 games, largely improved his play, and turned around a lot of the horrible underlying numbers he had to start the season. He’s not really the problem. Definitely wouldn’t make it anywhere close to my top-5 list of Canucks that I’m concerned about right now. Well, other than maybe getting him off of the PK. But as far as JT showing mentorship and taking Podkolzin under his wing to work with him pre-practice and hopefully build up his confidence, this is only a good thing and what you’d hope to see from veteran players/leaders. Especially when the team is struggling. And even more so when you have a youngster like Podz who tends to be a little too hard on himself.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

OEL would be a better fit but I can't see them taking that contact. Maybe Rathbone? 

I think they would be looking for someone to at least be able to play top 4. I don’t think Rathbone is that guy.

Myers has struggled but he he’s shown he can play that role at least. 

Depends how desperate Columbus is to stay in the fight after their huge investment in Gaudreau.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I think they would be looking for someone to at least be able to play top 4. I don’t think Rathbone is that guy.

Myers has struggled but he he’s shown he can play that role at least. 

Depends how desperate Columbus is to stay in the fight after their huge investment in Gaudreau.

what about something like Voracek for OEL? CBJ gets a top 4 LHD that they need, we get out of the OEL deal 3 years earlier than planned? 

Just now, JM_ said:

what about something like Voracek for OEL? CBJ gets a top 4 LHD that they need, we get out of the OEL deal 3 years earlier than planned? 

OEL has a NTC.

Doubt he waives for Columbus and doubt they’d have that kind of appetite for risk right now.

Just now, DeNiro said:

OEL has a NTC.

Doubt he waives for Columbus and doubt they’d have that kind of appetite for risk right now.

OEL may be very happy to get out of this tire fire. 

CBJ has loaded up, getting OEL from us helps to solidify their team. Don't forget, this is the GM that gave 30 year old Gudbranson 4 mil x 4 years.