The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Nov. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Some folks might feel better about a team that comes out and tries to hit everything in sight, but if they're still losing hockey games it doesn't really matter all that much at the end of the day unless one likes "moral victories" or losing the "right" way. 

Doesn't matter how many hits a player or team throws if they're a bottom feeder, throwing hits ain't gonna change their winning trajectory if their issue is keeping pucks out of their net. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

FhbTLJBXkAEBygH?format=jpg&name=large

People sleep on how good Tanti really was. If you wanted to put a sign that said “one man team” for a couple of years in the mid 80s, Tanti was the Canucks. Kind of “Bure on Florida” levels of “ok I’m here, where is everybody else?”

I only mention this because I don’t want to talk about the Canucks play tonight. Or most nights. 

Canucks Brass: I don’t care if you don’t read this but… I’m available to fix the PK. Seriously, I can come in and make it better than what is there now. 

One of those cymbal crashing wind up monkey toys would also make it better than it is now. 

Actually, hire the monkey toy. It’s cheaper than me. Probably more talented too. I mean it walks AND crashes cymbals. I can only do one of those things at a time.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

This management is making the same exact mistakes as the former brass. 

wait tooo long to make changes

not choosing a clear direction totake thé team

make moves that doesn’t address true team need

so why expect different results? This mediocrity will continue until there is a major restructuring and movément of players 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

My version of NHL Purgatory: not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to draft a Bedard or a difference maker...

What can you say , always play to your strengths. Mediocrity, we are overflowing with it. It’s what we know. Unless you send it packing because clearly you can’t work it out of them. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Hits ain't gonna move the needle for this team as far as winning goes, not if they keep blowing leads and bleeding goals the way they have. If you're trying to throw hits it means your team probably doesn't have the puck as much too. 

They're getting smoked in races to the puck. Opposing team is less likely to try beat you if you staple em to the boards. Myers did jack sh*t and just freely let Tavares move a loose puck to a teammate. Crunch him. Something. Lol. Although that's less of a hitting thing and more of a stop being brain dead thing. But damn. Make em think twice about board battles if you're not play defense.

Just now, Coconuts said:

Some folks might feel better about a team that comes out and tries to hit everything in sight, but if they're still losing hockey games it doesn't really matter all that much at the end of the day unless one likes "moral victories" or losing the "right" way. 

I don’t understand the fascination. I mean I like a good hit and all but you’re right it solves absolutely nothing. Schenn is a great hitter but that’s his game, he has to be. He’s slower than molasses which is fine he makes up for in other areas of the game. 

Just now, N7Nucks said:

They're getting smoked in races to the puck. Opposing team is less likely to try beat you if you staple em to the boards. Myers did jack sh*t and just freely let Tavares move a loose puck to a teammate. Crunch him. Something. Lol. Although that's less of a hitting thing and more of a stop being brain dead thing. But damn. Make em think twice about board battles if you're not play defense.

Myers is a poor example. You know damn rights if he hits someone he’s going to the box. He’s pretty much just useless no matter what he does. He can’t be too aggressive. Zebras hates Giraffes. And he sucks at handling the puck 

• Haha 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Good teams are gonna play through getting hit. Every player who makes the NHL has taken hits, and knows they're gonna take hits. It might make some fans feel better but I don't see it shifting the needle. 

This team is poorly constructed and gives up far too much defensively. Wanna fix that? Build a more collectively talented defense that can skate, which will likely involve embracing a rebuild or retool. Or, you know, have your forwards tighten up defensively to help address what is obviously this club's weakness. Defense. 

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

He’s never been a hitter why would he start now? It’s never been in his game so I don’t understand the point? As I’ve already pointed out Ryan O’Reilly plays a similar style. Yes a more rounded player defensively but also around the same weight. I don’t understand the concept at all. Horvat will be traded bro. Miller already scooped the contract

Ryan O'Reilly won the Selke trophy.  He doesn't need to hit everything in sight because he was actually the top defensive player in the NHL at one point and is still in the top 4 in voting as of last year.  Please don't compare Horvat to a major award winner and a Stanley Cup champion.  It's disrespectful to O"Reilly...

6 minutes ago, igorwasgreat said:

What can you say , always play to your strengths. Mediocrity, we are overflowing with it. It’s what we know. Unless you send it packing because clearly you can’t work it out of them. 

Yeah, the highest paid players on the team are some of the worse performers but their icetime would not be affected.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

I don’t understand the fascination. I mean I like a good hit and all but you’re right it solves absolutely nothing. Schenn is a great hitter but that’s his game, he has to be. He’s slower than molasses which is fine he makes up for in other areas of the game. 

Because some folks fetishize toughness in the form of hitting when it's scoring goals and keeping them out of your net that wins games. I'm not saying hitting isn't important or shouldn't be part of the gameplan, but it's not gonna win hockey games if your issues are more related to scoring and defending. 

If your team is always trying to hit guys in the defensive zone it means your team probably isn't controlling puck possession as much as you'd like. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ryan O'Reilly won the Selke trophy.  He doesn't need to hit everything in sight because he was actually the top defensive player in the NHL at one point and is still in the top 4 in voting as of last year.  Please don't compare Horvat to a major award winner and a Stanley Cup champion.  It's disrespectful to O"Reilly...

You started out saying how Horvat needs to hit. I compared him to another player that doesn’t hit. So because he’s a selke player it’s fine that he doesn’t hit? Ridiculous. This all started by a poster saying a captain needs to hit to lead. It’s a stupid argument 

• There it is 1

It also boils down to folks mythologizing what a captain is and should be, when most captains don't fit that mold. Lot of folks want a big, tough guy built like prime Shea Weber who will hit, fight, and be an absolute star while doing so. Good luck finding one. 

Here's a list of NHL captains as of October 8th, go down that list and tell me how many of these guys fit that bill. Most NHL captains don't fit that mold. https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-list-of-captains/c-335526652

Now cross reference it with the hit leaders of last season. https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask?q=nhl+hits+leaders+2021-22

Only two captains anywhere near the top are Brady Tkachuk and Jordan Staal. 

Some folks will drone on and on about what an NHL captain should be when most NHL captains don't fit what they describe. 

Take a look at this season thus far, usurpingly most captains aren't near the top. Shout out to Ovi for being an absolute specimen though. Trouba's there too, but he's also a D. Jordan Staal and Brady Tkachuk show up again closer to the bottom. https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/individual/?selectedTable=0&sortStatId=HITS

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

You started out saying how Horvat needs to hit. I compared him to another player that doesn’t hit. So because he’s a selke player it’s fine that he doesn’t hit? Ridiculous. This all started by a poster saying a captain needs to hit to lead. It’s a stupid argument 

You compared Horvat to a player who doesn't need to hit because he is a top defensive player in the league.  O'Reilly has a different skill set than Horvat and is a more complete player.  With Horvat's average defensive skills at 215 pounds he needs to learn to be more engaged in the game physically.  Even Petey is more engaged than him and Petey is a better scorer and a better defensive player to boot.

Horvat doesn't need to hit more because he is the captain.  I agree that is a stupid argument.  He needs to be more engaged because he's one of the bigger players we have and he needs to get more involved in the game physically to compensate for our smaller players who don't hit.

But like I said he will never do that so it's a moot point.  He can score goals and take faceoffs so that is all he needs in his toolbox to get his 8x8 retirement contract...

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You compared Horvat to a player who doesn't need to hit because he is a top defensive player in the league.  O'Reilly has a different skill set than Horvat and is a more complete player.  With Horvat's average defensive skills at 215 pounds he needs to learn to be more engaged in the game physically.  Even Petey is more engaged than him and Petey is a better scorer and a better defensive player to boot.

Horvat doesn't need to hit more because he is the captain.  I agree that is a stupid argument.  He needs to be more engaged because he's one of the bigger players we have and he needs to get more involved in the game physically to compensate for our smaller players who don't hit.

But like I said he will never do that so it's a moot point.  He can score goals and take faceoffs so that is all he needs in his toolbox to get his 8x8 retirement contract...

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey had to be engaged physically in order to survive in this league. You should know that better than anyone else. Did you see how disengaged he was the first half of the season last year? He was a perimeter player. No reverse hits, nothing to shield himself from the competition. Petey can’t get around in this league unless he’s physically engaged. Thats something we all saw and he had to figure out.

Bo his a big boy. He can win puck battles. Go to the net without crushing someone’s skull. So please if I can’t compare Horvat to O’Reilly in one sense, then don’t compare Petey to Horvat 

6 minutes ago, Devron said:

Petey had to be engaged physically in order to survive in this league. You should know that better than anyone else. Did you see how disengaged he was the first half of the season last year? He was a perimeter player. No reverse hits, nothing to shield himself from the competition. Petey can’t get around in this league unless he’s physically engaged. Thats something we all saw and he had to figure out.

Bo his a big boy. He can win puck battles. Go to the net without crushing someone’s skull. So please if I can’t compare Horvat to O’Reilly in one sense, then don’t compare Petey to Horvat 

Petey is a superstar, I would never compare him to BO...   :)

5 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Bruce is about to get fired for JR and Allvin’s off-season mistakes. You could bring in Patt Quinn, Connie Mack, Phil Jackson, and Bill Belichick for the coaching staff and this team would still stink with the personnel they have to work with.

When they fire Bruce, I hope the fans give it to the GM and owners. He has the support.