The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Nov. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hey JR AQUILINI here are your loyal fans trying to tell you something - like we did with JTM.      Listen to us, we can't all be wrong!  You're going the wrong way with this team!

Fixed it for you. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Ahhhhhhh, we slipped down to 28th spot after tonights loss, only a mere 2 points from the very bottom of the barrel.  Poor babies!

St. Louis is 1 point behind with 2 games in hands. So 29th spot.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He was also in the dressing room and at the rink every day with Stamkos, Point, Cirelli, Hedman, Vasilevskiy, Sergachev, Cernak and Kucherov.  You know, guys that actually know how to win.  And guys that like to hit.  Imagine going from that dressing room to the dysfunctional one that he is in now.  I feel bad for him.  He probably has to take medication just to get by every day...

Schenn won 2 rings by virtue of being on a stacked team. He was a healthy scratch on most nights, and barely played in the playoffs averaging like 11 minutes a game. You’re out to lunch if you think Schenn made any difference in them winning those Cups.

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nobody said all you need to do is hit, which is what those players do.  Reaves and Martin are goons.  Bad examples of players who play physical but can also contribute to the game, which neither one cannot.

Brady Tkachuk hasn't won a Stanley Cup because he plays for the Ottawa Senators.  

Both Reeves and Martin went to the Conference finals on their respective clubs. Why didn’t they push their team over the hump in those series? 

In the past 7 years, there’s only been two players, in the top 10 in hits, that has won a Cup. Lucic and Wilson.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 2

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty much yes.  Hopefully our purgatory results in getting Connor Bedard...

Lol we know what will happen to this team. 10 last games before the regular season ends and near the bottom of the standings.

All of a sudden then go like 6-2-2 in their last 10 and move up 4 or 5 spots in the standings 

Happens almost every year 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

All this talk of Bo and his lack of hitting are  puzzling.

They seem to be missing the truly big problem on this team.

Our goals against are atrocious.

Time for  Bo to make the key save. A true captain would do whatever it takes, for a win.

I know, I know, we have a couple of guys that are supposed to make the save; but we also have guys that are supposed to hit. Since that isn't happening it is obviously Bo's fault.

• Cheers 1

i still say benning killed this core after the bubble. that was the time to add and build around the group's newly grown confidence and belief, but instead he cut out a bunch of heartwood and the tree has now died, despite all their attempts to graft on new limbs. 

this should be a lesson to everyone -- this is what happens to a promising young team when hope turns prematurely into expectation. don't do the same to the next one or you'll be in this sisyphean 10 year loop forever. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Trotz? but he wants to either manage Nashville or coach an original 6 team. We are neither so I would be hesitant for him imo. 

Don't think a coach of his caliber want to be in this mess. 

He wants to win, not to get thrown under a bus.  He can get in another team. Coaches get fired every yr, despite only 32 teams.  It's the AHL and assistants that would take it. Maybe get Willie Desjardins back. Lol. 

16 minutes ago, tas said:

i still say benning killed this core after the bubble. that was the time to add and build around the group's newly grown confidence and belief, but instead he cut out a bunch of heartwood and the tree has now died, despite all their attempts to graft on new limbs. 

this should be a lesson to everyone -- this is what happens to a promising young team when hope turns prematurely into expectation. don't do the same to the next one or you'll be in this sisyphean 10 year loop forever. 

The loss of Marky, Tanev, Edler, and Stecher, plus Beagle, Russell, Sutter can't be understated. These vets don't say much in public, but they are competitive SOBs and leaders in the locker room.  Bo isn't enough on his own, and we got bunch newbies that don't have what it takes yet.  That's why they don't respond well to adversity.

Like Oilers struggling for yrs despite having all those top picks. It takes a while for players to mature and know how to win.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

The loss of Marky, Tanev, Edler, and Stecher, plus Beagle, Russell, Sutter can't be understated. These vets don't say much in public, but they are competitive SOBs and leaders in the locker room.  Bo isn't enough on his own, and we got bunch newbies that don't have what it takes yet.  That's why they don't respond well to adversity.

Like Oilers struggling for yrs despite having all those top picks. It takes a while for players to mature and know how to win.  

Exactly what ive been saying.  We had no one to replace all that character, competitiveness and experience.  They tried replacing them with garbage like Rafferty, poolman,  boyd, vessey, chatfield, dries, rathbone.  

Edited by EddieVedder

People on here overreact when someone says the word hitting oh my god...

Hitting is and always will be a part of hockey, after all it is and always will be a contact sport...

I am not advocating that the Canucks take runs at guys and go after hits that will always take them out of play. Being hard on the forecheck and hitting a D man will make them make mistakes with the puck and cause a turnover...leading to a scoring chance and the more of those you have in a game the more goals you will likely score!

If a player just does a flyby a D man and doesn't pressure or hit him that D man is going to have time to scan the ice and make the right play to get the puck out of his end...it is pretty simple to me, I mean if beer league hockey players can do it why can't we see more of it from the Canucks.

Hitting is not going to change our PK, or team defense...anyone who thinks it will is wrong. Being aggressive and hitting players in your own end when the time is right and you aren't going out of your way to hit someone leading to a penalty also puts more pressure on the opposing team in your own end. What do players tend to do when they are pressured or know a hit is coming...they make quicker decisions with the puck which can lead to more turnovers and in your own end limiting overall scoring chances against.

If your down in a game or your team is in a losing streak, being aggressive and hitting an opposing player can bring energy to the rest of the team. You can hit and do it in a way that won't penalize your team but can lead to turnovers just by pressuring and finishing your check...

It is clear the Canucks have a very poor D group and the coaching for the team as a whole when defending or coming back to defend is subpar. On goals we see a D or F stop skating or lose their man they should be covering for just a second or two and those simple mistakes in your own end are going to lead to goals against...it is the NHL and if you aren't competing hard in both ends of the ice your going to be outscored. As a team the players need to buy in to being a better defensive team, now we don't have the best defensive minded forwards but if a coach implemented a system and held all players accountable for not giving up on a play in both ends of the ice and made everyone accountable I believe this team would not be as bad as it is holding leads which would then lead to more points and a better overall team. You can't rely on a goalie to bail you out and win you a bunch of games if you play so poorly in front of him they are only human after all...

1 hour ago, tas said:

they said last night that Calgary is looking for a forward - I'd give them almost any winger for Tanev back

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

they said last night that Calgary is looking for a forward - I'd give them almost any winger for Tanev back

Give them boeser. 

I dont even care if tanev spends 50 percent of games injured.   Still offers twenty times more than boeser.

Tanev is still only 32 yrs old.  Wtf was Benning thinking. 

Edited by EddieVedder

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I wish they'd send Hoglander, Podz, and Rathbone down the AHL where they could play bigger and more meaningful minutes. At least they'd get ice and special teams time there. 

They could still be something. May as well let them play. 

Podz - 0g 3a in 14gp

Hogz - 1g 2a in 11gp

Definitely reason to be worried about killing their confidence. Podz looked great to start the year but has fallen off.

If we're gonna be this bad send them to the A and play Dries, Di Guiseppe, etc.

• Cheers 2