The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Nov. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Was sad watching Tanev in the Flames game. Blocking shots, making plays and a big difference for them on d.

People here screamed for him to be gone....the same old "too old/fragile" stuff. But I feel like letting him go was a mistake and that's why I often bring up the be careful what you wish for deal.

Dummies like sat shah and most of the dimwits on the radio wanted tanev gone.  A few on this board who cant think for themselves as well.  Will never forget the poolman thread where several posters here tried arguing he would be better.

• Upvote 1

I also think, at times, too much focus is on "blown leads". I mean, that's how games go...rarely does a team just go ahead and it's no turning back. 

Last night a few examples:

Kings were up 4-1 and barely held on as Detroit got 2 goals in the 3rd.

Ducks were up 2-0 and lost 3-2 (like we did)

Pens were up 4-2 and lost to Montreal 

Sure, for our team it's becoming a pattern and that's a problem but I also feel that close games where a team storms back are quite normal. Not really blowout wins. 

Not saying there aren't issues to address...clearly there are. But this whole narrative that the media taps into because it gives them a spin isn't something I buy into.

12 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

Please just continue to suck... give us Bedard please please please

Actually though the team played well offensively, but defensively they were chasing shadows.... 

And this Leafs team is poor defensively as well.... Maybe Myers to leafs for a first at TDL?

• -DLC- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
12 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Was sad watching Tanev in the Flames game. Blocking shots, making plays and a big difference for them on d.

People here screamed for him to be gone....the same old "too old/fragile" stuff. But I feel like letting him go was a mistake and that's why I often bring up the be careful what you wish for deal.

He was frail here.... Mega unlucky with injuries... 

But yes as always be careful, what you wish for....

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Give them boeser. 

I dont even care if tanev spends 50 percent of games injured.   Still offers twenty times more than boeser.

Tanev is still only 32 yrs old.  Wtf was Benning thinking. 

Agreed.

That said, history being 20/20 and all, I didn’t want to lose Tanev, but I also would have guessed that 50% injury time would have been likely.

5 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

Agreed.

That said, history being 20/20 and all, I didn’t want to lose Tanev, but I also would have guessed that 50% injury time would have been likely.

We had the perfect partner for Hughes and pushed the guy out.  Then we traded a third for Schmidt, who was terrible and made 2 more per season on the cap than Tanev did.  Didn’t like it then and we can see how awful it was since Tanev’s been gone.  

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

He was frail here.... Mega unlucky with injuries... 

But yes as always be careful, what you wish for....

Frail isn't really the right word though....he was a warrior, really. I mean he's had surgery for a torn labrum and is STILL out there throwing himself directly in front of pucks. Twice that I saw.

Injuries were the sign of the willingness he had to sacrifice his body for a win. Like he did last night. sigh

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine being 215 pounds and not wanting to hit the other team's players in a contact sport.  No wonder Horvat is the captain of one of the worst teams in the NHL over the last 10 years.  I miss the days of Trevor Linden.  

This is a pretty rubbish take. Horvat is a very good hockey player thrust into a Captain role at a young age on a bad team. You didn't see guys like Sakic leading the league in hits. Hirschier? Captains main strengths are keeping a level head and contributing on the ice which Horvat does. Blaming Horvat for not being a different player as a Captain seems pretty disingenuous. If you want to name a different captain that goes out bashing heads fine but why crap on guys that don't do that?

In fact who else besides Schenn would hit people ... Petey? :frantic: I guess he'd be a piece of garbage as a Captain too in your eyes.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is a pretty rubbish take. Horvat is a very good hockey player thrust into a Captain role at a young age on a bad team. You didn't see guys like Sakic leading the league in hits. Hirschier? Captains main strengths are keeping a level head and contributing on the ice which Horvat does. Blaming Horvat for not being a different player as a Captain seems pretty disingenuous. If you want to name a different captain that goes out bashing heads fine but why crap on guys that don't do that?

In fact who else besides Schenn would hit people ... Petey? :frantic: I guess he'd be a piece of garbage as a Captain too in your eyes.

Bo doesn’t need to “bash” guys with big hits, but he most definitely could use his 215 pound frame more effectively.  He has nearly the perfect hockey body.  Very heavy bottom and not too tall.  Pear shaped.  Miller is built like that too.  They would both be improved players if they played heavier games.  

• Cheers 3

Horvat is doing a better job of being vocal,, problem is this team has no balance.  We have the talent but there is no heavy lifters who can check with size and speed.  We are filled with perimeter players who dont want to do the hard work..   this imbalance will not go away quickly as it starts with drafting.  We dont need anymore small slow talented players.. size and speed to interject in this lineup from our own drafting is what we need, not over priced castoffs from other teams.  Its a shame as petterson, hughes and demko will be wasted.  Have to start again to get the right mix

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Bo doesn’t need to “bash” guys with big hits, but he most definitely could use his 215 pound frame more effectively.  He has nearly the perfect hockey body.  Very heavy bottom and not too tall.  Pear shaped.  Miller is built like that too.  They would both be improved players if they played heavier games.  

Yeah, like hundreds of other players. Would be great if they scored a 100 goals a year too. I'm not sure why they don't do that. I think it would help the team win. Bo uses his body well in positioning but he's not fast enough to be out hitting like a machine. He was drafted as a two way player not a Gary Roberts type.

Poorly constructed team is poorly constructed. Support players should be the guys hitting and setting precedents.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

Yes, but they're tough to get ..... especially for a capped-out team. I honestly don't know how this gets solved. 

Boeser, Miller, Myers, Hughes, Pearson for a mix of roster players, nearly developed prospects and maybe some picks (though not necessary).  Get what you can and as much cap space as you can possibly get as that will be the real value.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tanev is the one guy we should never have pushed out.  

Tanev and Edler.  We can really use Eagle for bottom pair, crease clearing, PK minutes and Tanev to play with Hughes and play PK.  They would be the first pair PK and I bet that would bump it from last place this season.  

Hughes - Tanev

OEL - Bear

Edler - Schenn

Burroughs 

I feel like the biggest failure we have this season is a lack of defined rolls which leads to "not enough structure" that JR has been alluding too.  15 games in and we still don't know who we can throw out as a #1 PK unit that the guys take pride in.  

Rolling 3 "balanced" scoring lines isn't working since Miller has become a liability defensively.  We aren't the Pens with a Stall/Bonino 3C or have a top 6 scoring winger in Kessel on the 3rd line with a 2way 3C.

We need to load up the top 6 for offense, 3rd line shutdown/pk and 4th line crash and bang energy.  Oh yeah, and trade Miller, find a true 3C, clear cap and get creative to rebuild the defense.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Maginator said:

Podz - 0g 3a in 14gp

Hogz - 1g 2a in 11gp

Definitely reason to be worried about killing their confidence. Podz looked great to start the year but has fallen off.

If we're gonna be this bad send them to the A and play Dries, Di Guiseppe, etc.

Yuppp, I def question whether this is the right environment for them right now too.

Being a top 10 pick doesn't mean Podz shouldn't see AHL time while waivers exempt, same goes for Hoglander. They'd be better served playing key roles while getting bigger minutes and special teams time.

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, injuries were a legitimate concern with Tanev when he was a Canuck. It's easy to point to Calgary but he's been healthy there like he never was here. 

He played all of 2020-2021, he played all last regular season. He's missed a few this season but by and large he's been healthy there in a way he wasn't here. He never played more than 70 games as a Canuck and he only did that once. Over ten seasons here he played more than 64 games 4 times, and only hit 70 once with the other two times being 69 apiece. Durability was a question mark.

I think a lot of folks recognized what he brought, but many of us weren't devastated when he walked because of said health concerns. There were questions of how his body would hold up as he aged, because yeah he had a history of frequently getting hurt.

Their D as a whole has been better during his time there so he's better supported, he never had much help here besides Edler for many of those lost seasons. But I reckon systems play also factored into his injuries.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Tanev and Edler.  We can really use Eagle for bottom pair, crease clearing, PK minutes and Tanev to play with Hughes and play PK.  They would be the first pair PK and I bet that would bump it from last place this season.  

Hughes - Tanev

OEL - Bear

Edler - Schenn

Burroughs 

I feel like the biggest failure we have this season is a lack of defined rolls which leads to "not enough structure" that JR has been alluding too.  15 games in and we still don't know who we can throw out as a #1 PK unit that the guys take pride in.  

Rolling 3 "balanced" scoring lines isn't working since Miller has become a liability defensively.  We aren't the Pens with a Stall/Bonino 3C or have a top 6 scoring winger in Kessel on the 3rd line with a 2way 3C.

We need to load up the top 6 for offense, 3rd line shutdown/pk and 4th line crash and bang energy.  Oh yeah, and trade Miller, find a true 3C, clear cap and get creative to rebuild the defense.

I don't have a lot of faith that this management group can pull this off.  I feel like they're going to look for the easiet path, rather than the right path.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Yuppp, I def question whether this is the right environment for them right now too.

Being a top 10 pick doesn't mean Podz shouldn't see AHL time while waivers exempt, same goes for Hoglander. They'd be better served playing key roles while getting bigger minutes and special teams time.

Thing is, injuries were a legitimate concern with Tanev when he was a Canuck. It's easy to point to Calgary but he's been healthy there like he never was here. 

He played all of 2020-2021, he played all last regular season. He's missed a few this season but by and large he's been healthy there in a way he wasn't here. He never played more than 70 games as a Canuck and he only did that once. Over ten seasons here he played more than 64 games 4 times, and only hit 70 once with the other two times being 69 apiece. Durability was a question mark.

I think a lot of folks recognized what he brought, but many of us weren't devastated when he walked because of said health concerns. There were questions if how his body would hold up, because yeah he had a history of frequently getting hurt.

Their D as a whole has been better during his time there so he's better supported, he never had much help here besides Edler for many of those lost seasons. But I reckon systems play also factored into his injuries.

they don't need AHL time, they need ice and opportunity in the NHL.  They finally have enough young guys t make up a core group, now it's time to let them have the team.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

How do we know this,is this been proven fact?to me seems like speculation.What I do know is this team is toxic for whatever reason We need a management group to root it out and get rid of it weather through a rebuild or retool

There’s absolutely no other explanation as to why this team hasn’t been through a complete rebuild as of yet.   This can’t be on the GM’s because they are afraid.