The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Apathy - what was your last straw?

Rate this topic

dougieL

57 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Sure did. I texted my buddy about having another multiple goal lead. As soon as T.O. tied it and then took the lead, I turned it off. I can't keep watching such a potent offence to go with the worset defence I've ever seen with a team. 

Oel is here for 4 more years at 7 million plus ,cap per year - seems like an extension of the LE deal; and Myers for one more.  

Edited

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I don’t mind the losing.  
In fact, if that is the goal…. Bring it on.  

It’s the lack of identity. 
No actual plan in place. 
No management to make it happen 

No ownership to know they are pockets, not hockey people. 

It’s the set in feeling that we won’t be getting out of this mess.  
It just isn’t going to happen.  
This team needs to be blown up and start over, but we will never properly do it.   

Im 36.  I was born a Canucks fan, and I just don’t see how we will ever win a cup. 

Yeah.  Even the players are aware of the direction - just make the playoffs and hope for the best.   Not really a very convincing plan, to win a cup.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Oel is here for 5 more years at 7 million plus ,cap per year - seems like an extension of the LE deal; and Myers for two more.  

What?! I thought Myers was UFA after next year? Edit. Just checked and Myers is UFA after next season. 

Edited by rekker

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

2 x 7M a year contracts for the twins PLUS spending and trying to buy your way into another playoff run. Esp LE and spending 2nd round picks like candy.

Okay yes - refusing to rebuild because it would be unfair to the Sedins. It made me so angry that we would resist doing what was right for the franchise simply to serve two players who massively underperformed their contracts.

Refusing to rebuild and then signing Eriksson to that anchor contract set us back years. Then just as that was about to finally come off the books, we extend that pain for 6 more years with the OEL anchor contract.

And it should be remembered that, according to Benning himself, it was the Sedins who convinced him to include the second round pick to close the deal because they were so high on OEL. 

This entire chain of events has led to nearly a decade of pain which seems nowhere close to ending.

9 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Okay yes - refusing to rebuild because it would be unfair to the Sedins. It made me so angry that we would resist doing what was right for the franchise simply to serve two players who massively underperformed their contracts.

Refusing to rebuild and then signing Eriksson to that anchor contract set us back years. Then just as that was about to finally come off the books, we extend that pain for 6 more years with the OEL anchor contract.

And it should be remembered that, according to Benning himself, it was the Sedins who convinced him to include the second round pick to close the deal because they were so high on OEL. 

This entire chain of events has led to nearly a decade of pain which seems nowhere close to ending.

And it looks like we're still spending 2nd round picks like candy. 

23 minutes ago, dougieL said:

I remember hearing that rumour, in the radio: about the Sedins vouching for OEL.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Sure did. I texted my buddy about having another multiple goal lead. As soon as T.O. tied it and then took the lead, I turned it off. I can't keep watching such a potent offence to go with the worset defence I've ever seen with a team. 

I can one up you. I was listening to the radio inbetween the 1st and 2nd period. Sat mentioned a prop bet that Toronto would make the come back that paid out 3.7. I took the bet, mostly so the game could be a win/win since I hate Toronto so much. Made 37 bucks...

You know apathy has set in when your gut tells you to take the bet against your own team... I felt dirty, but that dirty is gonna me a cheap bottle is whiskey to try to get through the Boston game tonight.

1 hour ago, dougieL said:

This sums it up for me. No sense of purpose or direction. And the OEL and Miller deals make it impossible to start over. Just a huge mess, and that's what has me feeling hopeless.

It does feel like the balance of the future lies in if they trade Miller or not (or if Miller can play well on a bad team with his mouth shut for a bunch of years which I'm not confident of).  I think they can ride out OEL's contract in a rebuild.

3 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

It does feel like the balance of the future lies in if they trade Miller or not (or if Miller can play well on a bad team with his mouth shut for a bunch of years which I'm not confident of).  I think they can ride out OEL's contract in a rebuild.

No choice but to ride it out 

32 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I can one up you. I was listening to the radio inbetween the 1st and 2nd period. Sat mentioned a prop bet that Toronto would make the come back that paid out 3.7. I took the bet, mostly so the game could be a win/win since I hate Toronto so much. Made 37 bucks...

You know apathy has set in when your gut tells you to take the bet against your own team... I felt dirty, but that dirty is gonna me a cheap bottle is whiskey to try to get through the Boston game tonight.

The classic Donnie Taylor bet. I see nothing wrong with it. Cheers.

For me it was the trade for OEL . I wanted to like it so bad. But we traded a bunch of guys coming off their contracts for a guy who makes 7+ till the end of time. That to me, said the owners were ok with being middle of the pack and the playoffs were the only goal. Boo

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Provost said:

The real slide starter when the new regime gave away a pick for Dermott.  They had been saying all the right things about doing a lot of work to the roster and managed a stellar deal to get a 3rd round pick for Hamonic.

When they went right out and traded a good pick for a bottom of the lineup guy, it was shades of Benning and made no sense with what they were saying.

Then the trade deadline without anyone significant moved even though their value should have been high.  Then the draft and no Miller trade.  Then the Miller signing.

It all added up to the new management team either lying with their initial messaging, and/or just not having the skill to execute on their plan.

I actually gave up my Sportsnet cable package a weeek or so ago.  That is apathy I haven’t felt since the Messier/Keenan days.  I never felt that during the awful underdog teams that we had and lost most nights but left it all out there and as the Black Bart Canucks tune went… “they may lose a game or two, but always won the fights…”

I should note it is apathy for this roster and current iteration of the team.  I still care very much about how it does in the future.

Exact same time for me Provost; all the talk, then using a third and valuable cap space for a fringe dman the Leafs would of waived.

Final straw has been lingering for the last week; I actually simply don’t enjoy watching them play. They have no system of play (skate around halter skelter), have no emotion, no excitement, and play disinterested. Even Bruce just looks like he doesn’t care. Tack on JRs stupid comments with no action, and PA being MIA; no thanks…..rather watch any NFL game right now.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Upvote 2

My passion for this team hasn't gone away. My optimism has deteriorated a lot recently though. New management seems like the old one. Except they seemingly snooze more.

It's disheartening seeing draft after draft we don't pick any defensive folks, or folks with size. And when we do get em we let em walk for nothing. Or trade em for older washed prospects.

Top 4 RD hit the trade market. We pass on em. Sign a 5mil dollar winger, complain we have no cap to fix the D. Well gee, no sh*t. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Worst Defence….can’t be true; it was PAs #1 priority!

I'd say it's pretty clear after the start of this season this organization is going no where and it needs to be stripped to the core and rebuilt. However it won't under this current ownership. I have been a die hard fan for nearly 40 years, worked for the team during some of its darkest times, was a season ticket holder for nearly 20 years and finally dumped my tickets before last season. 

Doesn't make me any less of a fan but as you get older you face the harsh realities and just can't let the losing get to you anymore. 

My younger son cheers more for the Red Wings (my wife is from Michigan) ....I don't have an issue with it but he still enjoys going to Canucks games. 

Moving my family to NC in less than a couple years and don't think I'll become a Canes fan but certainly may not follow the Canucks as much (the 10 PM starts are gonna be rough!) 

• Like 1