The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Hard for Bedard - Playoff chances are already Slim

Rate this topic

Provost

Just now, Coconuts said:

I'm totally on board with this, but it'll require management trading out some of the players that make us respectable and I'm all for it. Strip it down. 

We move Miller and Myers and all of a sudden we may not be able to outscore our problems for the few wins we do get.  Defense might be better though.

• Tanks a lot 1

14 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

We move Miller and Myers and all of a sudden we may not be able to outscore our problems for the few wins we do get.  Defense might be better though.

Schenn too, he helps make the D respectable which is counterintuitive 

• Tanks a lot 1

7 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

TBH the Leafs never thought that they could get #1 and they did 

The leafs tanked hard for Matthews, they didn't just 'see what happens'. They intentionally made moves to considerably weaken their team with long term goals in mind. Vancouver needs to do the same, but won't. A competent management team would have moved out Boeser last year, and not resigned Miller. They can still trade Bo which would help the team stay lower in the standings, but I wish they would also sell off Miller as well.

• Cheers 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

It is entirely possible by the end of tonight we are in very last place in the league.  We are currently 31st and if the Ducks win (they are tied as of when I am posting this) we drop to 32nd.

Our odds have gotten worse since the OP and we aren’t even trying to tank. 

I legitimately think if we trade away players for futures, we will actually end up better this season just by taking back the expiring contracts we will have to in order to make cap work in trades.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

It is entirely possible by the end of tonight we are in very last place in the league.  We are currently 31st and if the Ducks win (they are tied as of when I am posting this) we drop to 32nd.

Our odds have gotten worse since the OP and we aren’t even trying to tank. 

I legitimately think if we trade away players for futures, we will actually end up better this season just by taking back the expiring contracts we will have to in order to make cap work in trades.

That thought has crossed my mind as well. I'd not be shocked at all to see the remains, and the cast offs we take back, actually have a pick up in play and record :lol:

• Tanks a lot 1

48 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Looks like Anaheim actually lost in regulation

Well god damn it!  I saw they were tied with a minute to go and I guess I just assumed it was OT.

I guess they can’t stand being second fiddle to us in the race to the bottom.

• Tanks a lot 1

On 11/13/2022 at 9:13 PM, RWJC said:

Same thing said about JTM.

imho, the time to cash in on our assets is now and create options for our future. 
we have had arguably the top 2 UFA rental trade pieces this year and last year. We should have already capitalized on the JTM situation. No sense in repeating it. 

This is a good point.  This management has already proven their stupidity. Better to get assets we so desperately need as compared to screwing this up too.

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

On 11/15/2022 at 8:27 AM, HKSR said:

Guys let's face the truth.  The best shot this team has at finishing last overall is to keep playing this same roster.  Oh and maybe bench guys like Kuzmenko, or at least replace him with a slower player with less hockey IQ.

Play him and trade him for a pick at the deadline. Hopefully a second. As of now we can't afford him anyways. 

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

On 11/15/2022 at 9:49 AM, aGENT said:

What "win now" team wouldn't be interested in looking at a 1ppg power forward (on a crap team no less), that can win draws/play C in a pinch, and is on an expiring bargain deal, with a below market extension already signed?

Sorry, not buying the "Miller is immoveable" narrative. Is it a limited market of likely 5 to maybe 10 teams, who would also need cap coming off this summer (as well as us taking some back/retaining). Yup. But he's quite moveable if they have the balls IMO.

Maybe they should bring Sutter on to management? :lol:

I sure hope you're right.  Seems way harder than without an extension imo. I highly doubt they move him anyway. Way to cocky and clueless management group. I really hope I'm wrong though.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

His ability and his cap hit put his value higher than a 2nd IMO.

Yeah I was going back and forth on a first or comparable. I think it depends on how he plays moving forward. He started hot and showed scoring touch but will he hold up and show ability to be able to battle in the playoffs was my cause for dropping it down.

• Tanks a lot 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I was going back and forth on a first or comparable. I think it depends on how he plays moving forward. He started hot and showed scoring touch but will he hold up and show ability to be able to battle in the playoffs was my cause for dropping it down.

If we are going to actually sell pieces (we should IMO), he should end up getting more opportunity, and we likely see less roster juggling from whichever coach, as they won't be desperately trying to get wins at all costs. They can just play guys and focus on fundamentals.

The rest of the season (until TDL), likely on Pettersson's wing, with no pressure... Likely puts up points

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If we are going to actually sell pieces (we should IMO), he should end up getting more opportunity, and we likely see less roster juggling from whichever coach, as they won't be desperately trying to get wins at all costs. They can just play guys and focus on fundamentals.

The rest of the season (until TDL), likely on Pettersson's wing, with no pressure... Likely puts up points

Yeah that's my hope as well and should be the path. I'm pretty jaded though at this point as you've probably noticed. :( I have yet to see a single move that shows any sign they are on the same page. Just the opposite actually. 

If they ever make a move we'll find out. Hopefully it's not letting Bo go to FA. :lol: Realistically it might be the only thing they do this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Tanks a lot 1