The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Hard for Bedard - Playoff chances are already Slim

Rate this topic

Provost

On 11/16/2022 at 2:14 AM, aGENT said:

I don't see us going "full rebuild". I doubt we're moving out Pettersson, Hughes, Demko at all. And we're unlikely able to move guys like Myers or Pearson until next year anyway.

But I could certainly understand Bo wanting to exercise his UFA rights to go play on a team looking closer to win now. Happily retain him if we can though.

be dumb to move myers and pearson now ... they are intregal components of the stealth tank

• Tanks a lot 1

2 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

How does adding another C going to help?  Should it be best player available or best defenceman available?   Our problem is not our forwards, it is our D.  And unless trades are made to diminish our forward depth, our D is killing us right now. 

We tried our hand and drafting for D before. The reverberations of that epic bust are still being felt today. 

• Tanks a lot 1

2 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

How does adding another C going to help?  Should it be best player available or best defenceman available?   Our problem is not our forwards, it is our D.  And unless trades are made to diminish our forward depth, our D is killing us right now. 

Our 2C may walk due too our failure to actually build a competitive team. We might need that C.

Never mind that our top 9 forwards ability to support the puck and play defense, hold a lead, PK etc is just as big of a problem as our abysmal RHD.

• There it is 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

54 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

top 10 is FWD heavy. A lot of current mocks have 1D there.

Top 5 is C heavy.

Top 3(1W and 2Cs) are considered generational talents.

You will find more D outside the top 10 this year. 

We should be looking to acquire more 1sts. We could likely get a couple more if we sell big. 

2nd and third round for D

• Tanks a lot 1

7 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

You don't just look at position that your team needs.. you also need to look at the top player talent on C vs. top player talent on D.  IF top C is mcdavid/crosby calibur you almost always pick them if you have #1 pick.. because even if you say you don't need more forwards, if the player is THAT talented and skilled you could always trade him for a top D along with perhaps something else as well..  This is why picking the best player available is almost always the way to go.  Besides.. teams ALWAYS can use more centers since Centers can play on the wing as well.. they are flexible unlike pure wingers.

Edited by quattrobaj
  • Tanks a lot 1

2 hours ago, sassbs said:

Canucks will never ever win 1OA.   They don’t know how to tank.  The odds could be 75% in favor of winning 1OA but then they will go on a 10 game winning streak at the end of the season 

Good thing the top 5 of this draft is all pretty highly touted then.

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

6 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

TBH the Leafs never thought that they could get #1 and they did 

Unfortunately, there's bad luck, and then there's Canucks luck.

At least when the Leafs selected Matthews, the article would read:  "Matthews -- first Leafs selected #1 OA since Wendel Clark!"

Canucks article would read:  "Nobody -- first Canucks selected #1 OA since NEVER!!!!"

Man...

https://thehockeywriters.com/teams-that-have-never-picked-1st-overall-in-nhl-draft/

"The Canucks joined the NHL in 1970 and are the longest-serving NHL team to never have the top pick in the draft..." :sadno:

Edited by HKSR
  • Sad 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

6 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

We should aim lower.  Dead last gaurantee's a Top 3 pick.  One of those center's and this team may be able to re-jiggy-thing this team quicker.

Yup.

My guess is Bedard and Fantilli go 1-2.  If we pick #3OA, a very nice consolation would be Carlsson.  Or better yet, if whoever is picking #4OA really wants Michkov, we could trade down and get an additional pick back in round 2 or 3.  Finishing dead last would be ideal, which likely means we won't lol.

• Tanks a lot 1

9 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

We should aim lower.  Dead last gaurantee's a Top 3 pick.  One of those center's and this team may be able to re-jiggy-thing this team quicker.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yup.

My guess is Bedard and Fantilli go 1-2.  If we pick #3OA, a very nice consolation would be Carlsson.  Or better yet, if whoever is picking #4OA really wants Michkov, we could trade down and get an additional pick back in round 2 or 3.  Finishing dead last would be ideal, which likely means we won't lol.

I'm totally on board with this, but it'll require management trading out some of the players that make us respectable and I'm all for it. Strip it down. 

• Tanks a lot 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Yup.

We can dream! Lol.  Picking top 2 would be incredible, especially if we end up with Bedard.  I hope that Bettman see's Bedard on the Canucks as a marketing DREAM and absolutely can't say no to that money making machine.  There's too many story lines that would benefit the NHL to screw us over again.  You owe us Bettman!! (and hockey gods)

• Tanks a lot 1