The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Hard for Bedard - Playoff chances are already Slim

Rate this topic

Provost

13 hours ago, Baggins said:

There have been some players sign for less because of the flat cap, but I wouldn't exactly call it bargains. Every team has contracts come off the books and there's still a bidding war for the good players. 

A team can decline the arbitration award and the player simply becomes a ufa at that point. 

When was the last time a good rfa wasn't qualified and allowed to walk for nothing into free agency?

Teams cannot decline an arbitration award less than $4.5 million.  They can’t walk away, they are stuck paying it.

That is why we walked away from Hutton without qualifying him, and quite possibly Bear too.

There are bidding wars for the top players, like I already said.  As so much money is spent on those guys and there are so many teams in cap trouble already next season, are now GOOD players who will again available because teams can’t afford them and had for cheap.

8 points back of Detroit seems like too far to jump but we're 6-2-1 recently so you never know, we may really trash that 1st round pick and for no good reason.

At this rate we should be happy with a top 10 pick but I worry bubble Demko has arrived.

Funny fact but points % wise, we have to pretty much win all (but maybe 1 or 2 max) of our remaining games to make the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

With us winning recently during this pointless stage of the season and more games coming with sub 500 teams, kiss our Bedard Sweepstakes away!!! 

Lottery still has to happen. Then we can kiss the Bedard sweepstakes goodbye. Winning games happens. Heck even CHI is winning the odd game. Relax. 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, RolexSub said:

With us winning recently during this pointless stage of the season and more games coming with sub 500 teams, kiss our Bedard Sweepstakes away!!! 

19 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lottery still has to happen. Then we can kiss the Bedard sweepstakes goodbye. Winning games happens. Heck even CHI is winning the odd game. Relax. 

While we aren’t good, I don’t think we were ever legitimately bottom five bad (unfortunately this year). 

My guess is we end up somewhere around 10 <_<

• Upvote 1

It just pisses me off to see teams like SJS stealth tank while we continue to pick up meaningless points. 

Just a week or two ago they were above us, now they're in the number 2 spot and looking great....while we sit at number eight and keep climbing our way further into mediocrity.

"Moral victories" and "team bonding" are all fine and dandy, but not when there's a generational talent around the corner :sadno:

• elephant 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

CHI vs Tampa

1 - 1 late in 3rd, Hawks ease off of the gas pedal....TBL scores with 1 minute left (then again with 2 secs left)

3 - 1 TBL

Stealth tank, that's how it's done.

Then there's our boys playing their asses off to win meaningless games.. :blink: :sadno:

This team just seems to continue to slap us (well those on team tank) in the face every time there's hope. Last yr we thought there was hope after just missing the playoffs. Then this yr we suffered through 3/4 of the season and Bedard was our hope but nope, the team just decides to play well at the worst possible time. Is this truly a change in the right direction or more of a coaching bump when there's no pressure to make playoffs? 

I believe consistency is what distinguishes a good team from a true contender, and Canucks hasn't shown consistency since the Sedins era. It has been a crazy roller coaster ride for fans especially this season. I can't tell if the current stretch is result of coach bump or if the team has finally discovered their identity.  If they can sustain this type of play next season when the games actually matter I'm all for another retool. But I am prepared to be disappointed again because that's what we have been given for a decade now...

any athlete we want on our team isnt going to go into games thinking we need to lose so we can draft Bedard. Thats a fans mentality not a pro athlete. Im glad the team hasnt given up and thats the attitude we want them to play with. We werent going to get to draft Bedard even if we finished dead last as Gary and his merry henchmen would never let us draft number 1. We have a better chance of signing Bedard in four years than drafting him first over all. Lets move on.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:30 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

That list exists every summer. You said there were great players available at bargain prices. Give me the names of the great players at bargain prices, not a general inventory of the bargain bin. The very reason the majority of these players don't get qualified is their teams didn't view them as worth using a contract spot for, or weren't playing up to their QO price. There are players that become late bloomers, but if that was obvious they likely would have been qualified in the first place. Those that the QO is too high for what they provide doesn't equate to not having value, but rather a decent add at a lower price. But those guys tend to get more interest and being ufa's can choose who they sign with. Those that go unqualified because of performance to open a contract slot are the players nobody was interested in trading an asset for. 

The bottom line is this - I have no problem with the team signing unqualified players. But I also have no problem trading assets for young players of higher value, and thus better odds of success. You don't put all your eggs in one basket. Prospects are hit and miss regardless of free agency, trades, or drafting. Never limit your options.

• Cheers 1

After watching Bedard live on Saturday night. I think the Canucks need to sign Rhett Parsons. RHD opened the scoring and smothered Bedard for the entire night.

Connor was fuming and it showed. Tigers waltzed to a 7-0 win. 

Edited by BabychStache
  • Vintage 1

On 3/12/2023 at 9:35 AM, mikeyman109 said:

any athlete we want on our team isnt going to go into games thinking we need to lose so we can draft Bedard. Thats a fans mentality not a pro athlete. Im glad the team hasnt given up and thats the attitude we want them to play with. We werent going to get to draft Bedard even if we finished dead last as Gary and his merry henchmen would never let us draft number 1. We have a better chance of signing Bedard in four years than drafting him first over all. Lets move on.

Well the 2nd half of your post is random conspiracy nonsense, so not worth addressing.

Regarding the first point, literally no one is suggesting the players would ever try to tank… but guess what, teams tank all the time.

Easy, play a crappy back up every 2nd game and let Silovs push Abby towards a playoff run.  Only play Hughes 20 minutes a night rather than 28 minutes a night.  Play some of the young guys in hard minutes to see how they do and help develop them for next year.  Try different players on PP and PK.  

That is how you tank, and it actually helps you the next year by developing players.

Bedsrd isn’t the only cornerstone player in this draft.  Any of the top three centres would be a lifeline for the Canucks.  It would allow Miller to be trade and his cap reallocated to the defence, and give a cheap ELC contributor in the top half of the lineup in 0-3 years.

• Tanks a lot 1

Habs scored 4 goals on 7 shots in 1st period vs Pens....leading 4-2, with 9 minutes left in 2nd.....Les Habitants are doing their part tonight...

Dallas is a much better team, so the Nux have no business to even entertain beating them.

But alas, we have four weapons that are hyper-focused to win...

The X Files Fox Television Classics GIF by HULUAlphabet K GIF200.gifPolar Bear Time GIF

*EDIT* - Habs have won only 2 games in their last 10, so Mtl will stealth, and Pitt will rally for the win

Both Dal AND Van are 7-2-1 last 10gp....

nervous george costanza GIF

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Cheers 1