The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Vancouver and Columbus in trade talks

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benning went and watched OJ in one tournament and declared that was his guy.  He overruled the scouts who had been following those players for years, based on his very limited observation of just one guy.  The next draft Benning wanted Glass and Linden had to step in and allow the scouts to make the choice, which was Petey.  It’s all been posted here lots of times.  

Is CDC a source now???? :shock:

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I recall the media being quite surprised that JB went off-script picking OJ that year.  I also recall interviews after OJ was drafted where he was declaring himself ready for the NHL right away.  Did this delusional attitude not come out in their interviews with him?!!!  JB did well overall I would say (vs Gillis' atrocious drafting record), but OJ and JV were not good looks given those available at the time.

To be fair, OJ almost made the team out of training camp his first year and most on here were starting to feel it was a good pick. So him feeling that he was close to NHL ready wasn't much of a stretch. At that point his skating actually looked great and most just felt he needed to add a few pound to deal with the step up to the NHL.

After camp though OJ somewhat stagnated in London with a very similar season to his draft year but on a worse team (so technically improved but didn't dominate like most hoped he would). Then all of his injuries started to pile up.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

To be fair, OJ almost made the team out of training camp his first year and most on here were starting to feel it was a good pick. So him feeling that he was close to NHL ready wasn't much of a stretch. At that point his skating actually looked great and most just felt he needed to add a few pound to deal with the step up to the NHL.

After camp though OJ somewhat stagnated in London with a very similar season to his draft year but on a worse team (so technically improved but didn't dominate like most hoped he would). Then all of his injuries started to pile up.

There's a ton of revisionist history. At the time, OJ was considered one of the best defenseman in terms of being 'safe'. And how could you blame his pedigree? He was under the supervision of Dale Hunter (London's coach at the time) and was relied upon in key situations. Hell, look at his drafting notes. People who say OJ was a "poor draft pick" is blowing smoke. He WAS ranked alongside Matthew Tkachuk. Sergachev was not even in the same category because his game was all offense and suspect defense. In fact, Sergachev flourished on a powerhouse team like TB, but that does not necessarily mean he would've done well under Vancouver.

Here are the facts though:

Juolevi had a gold medal in the Memorial Cup for London, AND for Team Finland. No one could've legitimately argued AT THE TIME that he would not pan out. Anyone who pretends to know how his development would've ended up is totally BSing.

Juolevi's doing pretty good right now in the AHL.

image.thumb.png.99ec4e5875e38a3f001f5e5a1aa70155.png

Let's see if he can actually rebuild his game from there.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Benning went and watched OJ in one tournament and declared that was his guy.  He overruled the scouts who had been following those players for years, based on his very limited observation of just one guy.  The next draft Benning wanted Glass and Linden had to step in and allow the scouts to make the choice, which was Petey.  It’s all been posted here lots of times.  

A lot of what you said is actually not true.

Pull me a report where Juolevi is not ranked as one of the top defenseman of that draft year. This will rest your theory.

Actually, I'll just present something here. Anyone who said Juolevi was not worth of a top 10 pick now is 100 percent relying on hindsight.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/6/19/11968084/olli-juolevi-2016-nhl-entry-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings-highlights-defenceman

image.png.aaf354e092d95da62d86fd67caa81096.png

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

The case with OJ was we absolutely needed a defensemen in the pool and still do. Everyone though that he would turn out better then he did. Three substantial injuries later he's barely around now.

He's doing well in the AHL right now, for what it's worth. He's not technically a bust at this point.

30 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

A lot of what you said is actually not true.

Pull me a report where Juolevi is not ranked as one of the top defenseman of that draft year. This will rest your theory.

Actually, I'll just present something here. Anyone who said Juolevi was not worth of a top 10 pick now is 100 percent relying on hindsight.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/6/19/11968084/olli-juolevi-2016-nhl-entry-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings-highlights-defenceman

image.png.aaf354e092d95da62d86fd67caa81096.png

Then we should have selected Tkachuk, like most expected when he was there for us, and let the Haberoos draft OJ.  Benning overruled his scouts.  We’ve been through this lots in other threads.  

Hey, I pulle for OJ.  Once he was ours I supported the pick.  But clearly it was the wrong pick then, and most of us knew that when it happened.  Always BPA and that was, without doubt, Tkachuk.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then we should have selected Tkachuk, like most expected when he was there for us, and let the Haberoos draft OJ.  Benning overruled his scouts.  We’ve been through this lots in other threads.  

Hey, I pulle for OJ.  Once he was ours I supported the pick.  But clearly it was the wrong pick then, and most of us knew that when it happened.  Always BPA and that was, without doubt, Tkachuk.  

I suspect you and others would've changed their tune if Tkachuk had busted. This is my point out of this. Hindsight analysis is not analysis.

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

also i wouldnt doubt that tkachuk would of left us as well

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

There's a ton of revisionist history. At the time, OJ was considered one of the best defenseman in terms of being 'safe'. And how could you blame his pedigree? He was under the supervision of Dale Hunter (London's coach at the time) and was relied upon in key situations. Hell, look at his drafting notes. People who say OJ was a "poor draft pick" is blowing smoke. He WAS ranked alongside Matthew Tkachuk. Sergachev was not even in the same category because his game was all offense and suspect defense. In fact, Sergachev flourished on a powerhouse team like TB, but that does not necessarily mean he would've done well under Vancouver.

Here are the facts though:

Juolevi had a gold medal in the Memorial Cup for London, AND for Team Finland. No one could've legitimately argued AT THE TIME that he would not pan out. Anyone who pretends to know how his development would've ended up is totally BSing.

Juolevi's doing pretty good right now in the AHL.

image.thumb.png.99ec4e5875e38a3f001f5e5a1aa70155.png

Let's see if he can actually rebuild his game from there.

When you draft at that spot, you take the BPA. You don't draft for need!

4 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Without the injuries and had he been able to develop properly, he would be an NHLer.

But that second OHL season revealed that he is not a play driver.

It was Marner, Tketchup in London and Laine, Aho, Puljujarvi on Finalnd.

• Like 1

Boeser + Myers  for Gavrikov + Nyquist (UFA 2023) + 3rd

Pearson + Poolman + Lekkerimakki to AZ for “future considerations”

re-sign Bo, Kuz, Gavrikov, Schenn

Sign Zub via UFA 

—————————
Miller Horvat Garland

Kuz Petey Mikheyev

Podkolzin Karlsson/Dries/ufa Hoglander

Joshua Aman Lazar

Hughes Zub

Gavrikov Bear