The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Three top notch pieces?  Coffey once got Craig Simpson, once got Shanahan and a couple times got a mixed bag of stuff...all in his prime.

And that was before the cap.  Like I said, Subban and Weber got each other.  I think the Canucks can acquire a Huddy or Lowe type to play with Quinn and allow him to Housley / Coffey his way into the stratosphere and get that for forwards.  We're talking about an Adam Foote type or and Edler or Tanev from younger days maybe.  Excellent defensemen but available for less than a king's ransom and sometimes as free agents (the exact way we lost everyone from Willie Mitchell to Tanev and so on).

time to upgrade from EA Sports NHL 93

14 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Three top notch pieces?  Coffey once got Craig Simpson, once got Shanahan and a couple times got a mixed bag of stuff...all in his prime.

And that was before the cap.  Like I said, Subban and Weber got each other.  I think the Canucks can acquire a Huddy or Lowe type to play with Quinn and allow him to Housley / Coffey his way into the stratosphere and get that for forwards.  We're talking about an Adam Foote type or and Edler or Tanev from younger days maybe.  Excellent defensemen but available for less than a king's ransom and sometimes as free agents (the exact way we lost everyone from Willie Mitchell to Tanev and so on).

none of the trades that have to happen are going to be easy to make

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Yes; he’s not Makar

Hughes is more offensively gifted than Makar, but lacks the physical dynamic (attacking with puck on stick and checking) that Makar brings.  Then Makar can play that way b3cause he has Toews for a partner.  If we kept ?Tanev, Quinn would be far more offensively minded in five on five play.  

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

I get that. But when he has some god given talents in terms of skating and vision these other aspects can be added or improved over time. His career has really just started.

I agree, but for me, it's him or Petey.  They need a big, lopsided trade heavily in their favour

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

I get that. But when he has some god given talents in terms of skating and vision these other aspects can be added or improved over time. His career has really just started.

Yup.  But like Makar these gifted (but smaller) D need the right partner to excel.  We need Tanev back. Stupid Benning! 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

To really make it work, I think one of Petey or Hughes would have to go.  They really need a lopsided to deal to make a big step forward instead of a lateral move

Thats where the return would be greatest. 

30 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I bet the if DET was offering up Zadina without a cap dump for Brock, the trade would be done but now

Interesting how we overvalue many of our prospects, yet undervalue so many veterans.

Here's an Oilers "pundit's" take on Boeser .....

• Cheers 1

Just now, Googlie said:

Interesting how we overvalue many of our prospects, yet undervalue so many veterans.

I think Boeser is playing well enough to birng back a solid #4-5 dman or legit 3C

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Would the Soilers do Boeser for Evean Bouchard and a cap dump?   Bouchard has struggled a lot.  

6 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Can't help thinking Quinn Hughes is still recovering from an injury which is still affecting him but it's a situation whereas playing isn't going to make it worse or endanger

anything but is affecting his overall game. Sure doesn't look the same as previous years.

And yet he has a chance of leading the league in assists and breaking Henrik's record.

More is required of Hughes...including maybe getting him a Shooter Tutor...but the guy is already a rare breed.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I was thinking that Brock would look good on the Oilers.  McDavid, Drai, RNH.  He'll get set up anywhere he plays on that roster and the space those guys will create for him he'll have lot's of opportunity to get his shot off.  The caveat is that both teams have no cap space so it'll be hard for the Oilers to make room for Brock.  I'd take the 1st from the Oilers and run if they can find the cap space.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

yup........most of the pther moves that have to be made will be lateral moves.  They need a big one to take a significant step forward.

Agree...

I said it earlier...

the players with real value just now is Bo, Petey and QH.., ( Petey and QH probably highest die to their age)...

After that, value goes down for our players... 

from medio return to no return ie lateral moves as you say. Only gain may be some cap space...

So if they really wanna shake it up likely 1 of the 3 above is involved...

and then some lateral moves meeded as well...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Colliton is very high on his Brisebois-Juulsen pairing.  His #1 pair, and top defensive unit (watch his most recent interview).  Wolanin vies with Rathbone as his top offensive D-men.  (And neither Brisebois nor Juulsen looked out of place for the 2 games each was called up for (didn't play toether, ofc ... one with OEL and the other with Myers, in different games).  As both were emergency injury callups, neither could stay.

If only.... that would be heaven sent for this team, but it does look like another bottom pairing...