The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm a big QH fan.

Having a seemingly off year and is still a ppg guy.

Tough to lose a dude like that. 

I don’t even get the whole having a tough year thing. Schenn Hughes pairing has been good. Even in the fancy stat world. So he doesn’t have a goal, whatever. He could be a bit better but he’s been far from the problem we’ve been having defensively 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Well that's exactly the point isn't it. Think about it. A true insider would have known and brought something up if there was a little something amiss. He use to be much better.

He keeps tabs on every team. It's unrealistic to expect anyone to know every story well in advance.

Perfectly fine to talk about something that's already come out. That's reporting.

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's a retool, is it a not?  Personally, I think pivot is a better term.

I keep Bo at all costs if he wants to be there and build around Petey, Bo, Podz, Hogz and Demko.  I also keep OEL, Bear, schenn, lazar, Joshua and Aman for support.......Myers and Pearson likely have to stay until they expire.

Potato v PoTAto...

I can be called just about anything...

As long as there is a decent shift of top 6 FWD and top 4 D's...

Players to play up to their contracts... Now if you can shift those and get something useable back, I'll support it, but that is what I doubt...

Following players have big value just now: EP, Bo, QH, Kuz, 

Following players have value: Miller, Garland, Mik

The rest won't more the needle...

We need to get something useable back.... on top of Cap space some how.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

No, I'm fine chewing on the stick.

Someone can leave but does it have to be EP or QH? 

MAdness I say!

You did mention hoglander , there’s a few peripheral players that would be expendable. Combined I guess? Salary wise can it it bring back what the team needs?. Without sacrificing the top 6? 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Big gamble, but I think Horvat might be that player to get VAN a great return. He's having a career year (on pace for 60 goals?), a C who wins faceoffs. He's also only making $5.5 this season. 

Also irreplaceable -  unless you think Dries is the answer at Center

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

No, I'm fine chewing on the stick.

Someone can leave but does it have to be EP or QH? 

MAdness I say!

What do you think NJ would give up to get the third Hughes brother?  I think they'd give up an awful lot

• Like 2

Just now, chon derry said:

You did mention hoglander , there’s a few peripheral players that would be expendable. Combined I guess? Salary wise can it it bring back what the team needs?. Without sacrificing the top 6? 

In a perfect world this Demko absence creates another asset in Martin. Making lemonaide. 

Martin plays lights out, Thatcher comes back to form when he returns....adding a bit of value to move one of our goalies. 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

In a perfect world this Demko absence creates another asset in Martin. Making lemonaide. 

Martin plays lights out, Thatcher comes back to form when he returns....adding a bit of value to move one of our goalies. 

That’s 2 things. 1 makes the other harder. Ya he was trending upwards but 6 weeks puts him back further than he was before the uptick. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm pretty sure someone in Abby is doing better than Stillman. 

I don't really have much of an issue with Stillman.......he's just the latest in a long string of low hanging, fall guy fruit.  He makes mistakes, but he makes some good plays too.  He's still developing, so I'm happy to reserve judgement

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Very solid point.

Some of their best players, prospects, picks and first born children is the return I would like. 

Only real trade I’d accept for Hughes would be a package that probably only NJ could provide 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Very solid point.

Some of their best players, prospects, picks and first born children is the return I would like. 

First born children I’ll go along with as long as Rutherford/yeo commits to being the babysitters full time. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

That’s 2 things. 1 makes the other harder. Ya he was trending upwards but 6 weeks puts him back further than he was before the uptick. 

Do you get the sense that I have Monty Pythons 'always look on the bright side of life ' on repeat in my head?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Very solid point.

Of course, you definitely don't give away your best chip.......they'd need at least three pieces coming back, which would also have to include some salary

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

What do you think NJ would give up to get the third Hughes brother?  I think they'd give up an awful lot

Sure. But can nux draft or trade for another QH like player with whatever they get from NJ?  Probably not. He's already projected to be the best D men in Canucks history.  

But everyone wants to rebuild again, like it's easy to get QH or EP just by tanking. 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Only CDC complains we have 4 players at or above a point a game. 

ZOMG Miller, who is on pace for 82 points. 

Petey is on pace for 95 Points

Horvat 85 points 

Hughes is on pace for 89-90 points. 

Our top guys are fine. Our defence is the problem. I really like Bruce, but the defensive system on this team sucks. I'm still hesitant to pin that all on Bruce.

I'm pinning a lot on our lacklustre assistant coaches. 

We would have to offload some struggling forwards and or defensemen to clear salary and try to improve our defence, and perhaps have some bigger, faster more defensive forwards. We can't wave a magic wand and trade Brock for a RHD d-man. (Unless it's a reclamation project.) Benning painted the team into a corner. It's going to be tough for PA to fix the mess. 

I bet if we let both Brock and JT walk last summer people would have been screaming for management's heads on a plate. 

You'd lose that bet, there were many kicking around who'd have been fine seeing both shipped out. 

As for Horvat, it doesn't matter what fans want if he doesn't want to stay and his wanting to stay isn't the guarantee some folks like to believe it is.

All he's done coming up as a Canuck is lose on mediocre teams for the most part. He made the playoffs once on a team that was actually good, and that was a Sedin led team. He also made the Covid playoffs due to the season being canceled and math. With Markstrom having gone down with injury and the team stumbling we likely would have missed had the season continued.

He ain't getting any younger, careers go quick, and there are teams out there like Boston and Carolina who could use a 1/2 who will likely pay his price. If he wants to win and make the playoffs consistently there's a good chance it'll have to be somewhere else.

• Vintage 2