The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

LA aren't contenders, Demko isn't putting them over the top even if he does bounce back. LA's got a mix of cup winning vets, prime aged talent, and a lot of youth. Plus, why would they give up some of their best young talent to a divisional rival instead of looking elsewhere? We're a direct competitor, why help us? 

He's injured right now but they'd be better off inquiring about Blackwood from Jersey, he should be back sooner than later and he'd probably cost less. Jersey had done just fine with their Vanacek and Schmid combo. Vanacek is 11-2 and Schmid is 5-0. Blackwood is 4-2. Blackwood is also a pending RFA, if Jersey is confident in Schmid they've got a goaltender to spare. 

I think Demko to BUffalo makes a lot of sense too

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I wouldn’t be sure about that. LA is suffering with horrendous goaltending. The one who was to take over from Quick has been nothing but a disaster. Demko also meets the young age retirement. 

I personally wouldn’t part with him, even with that haul. We have no one in the system that can be a future number one, never mind potential of elite level like Demko. Then again, if this team goes into sell mode, no one is safe and we will endure a year or two of garbage. A situation not good for Demko even if he stays….

goalies are one of the easiest positions to replace in UFA too, imo.  I'd want to build around Demko, but he wouldn't be untouchable for me, for the right price

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I wouldn’t be sure about that. LA is suffering with horrendous goaltending. The one who was to take over from Quick has been nothing but a disaster. Demko also meets the young age retirement. 

I personally wouldn’t part with him, even with that haul. We have no one in the system that can be a future number one, never mind potential of elite level like Demko. Then again, if this team goes into sell mode, no one is safe and we will endure a year or two of garbage. A situation not good for Demko even if he stays….

I'm not opposed to trading Demko but I think some folks get too hung up on what a potential trade does for the Canucks. Good proposals factor in the needs of both sides equally, as a team that's been gradually drafting, developing, and building their team why would LA help Vancouver going forward by giving up one or two premium young pieces when they could shop elsewhere? I don't see Demko being moved within the division. I've proposed Demko to Buffalo in the past, they could use a tender. LA would be better suited looking elsewhere imo. 

Kopitar and Doughty aren't getting any younger, Byfield and Clarke are their top center and D prospects and both will be needed if LA is to have success going forward as Quick and Kopitar retire sooner than later. Doughty will be 33 on the 8th. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think Demko to BUffalo makes a lot of sense too

It does, I made a proposal discussing it last month

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

goalies are one of the easiest positions to replace in UFA too, imo.  I'd want to build around Demko, but he wouldn't be untouchable for me, for the right price

Agreed, I think Demko's better than he's shown this season. I'm fine trading him, I'm fine keeping him. 

30 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Due to his contract and recent play Demko could have returned a great haul last offseason.  I (jokingly) said the Leafs would give the moon for him. 

But no one is trading for a guy who stunk it up all year and is currently injured.

I think his reputation and past level of play would far outweigh a poor start.  Injuries could bring his value down though.  Ultimately goalies don't bring a big return, so it would have to be a can't pass deal or demko wanted out

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Tank4Bedard said:

Y'all be cheering for useless wins blows my mind. Yes, I know we might not win the lottery, but we can potentially get a top 4 pick without winning the lottery. 

We can maybe get a potential pick for a player who potentially works out.

I'll cheer for wins.

• Like 2

Just now, -DLC- said:

We can get a potential pick for a player who potentially works out.

I'll cheer for wins.

We need to tankeroo this season n and hope we get lucky.  Bedard is a franchise changer.  And he’s local!  Considering how bad we are, and have been, it’s stupido we don’t tankeroo.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We need to tankeroo this season n and hope we get lucky.  Bedard is a franchise changer.  And he’s local!  Considering how bad we are, and have been, it’s stupido we don’t tankeroo.  

Yup, regular season wins vs a real contender for the cup.  Anyways, the Canucks won...

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't want my team to try to tank but if it happens naturally...silver lining.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tank4Bedard said:

I'll cheer for L's for more future dub's. Bedard is game changing. I know we prob won't get him, but getting one of Bedard, Michkov, Fantelli, Carlsson is hella nice. 

Who is the guy we get at 15OA because with our owner pushing for “winning now” we all know that about where we will pick? 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I don't want my team to try to tank but if it happens naturally...silver lining.

I see both sides and I side with you more.

The frustration with “mediocrity”, the no Stanley Cup, the no playoffs for such long stretches, bad contracts, etc have pushed some fans to think this way. 

At the end of the day you are right, draft picks don’t always work out and we definitely are not bad enough to get Bedard. The Ducks, Blackhawks. Coyotes and Blue Jackets have this one locked. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

I see both sides and I side with you more.

The frustration with “mediocrity”, the no Stanley Cup, the no playoffs for such long stretches, bad contracts, etc have pushed some fans to think this way. 

At the end of the day you are right, draft picks don’t always work out and we definitely are not bad enough to get Bedard. The Ducks, Blackhawks. Coyotes and Blue Jackets have this one locked. 

Tanking is a very real way to stay bad for a very long time

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1