The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Nothing's stopping us from acquiring assets at the TDL, and then signing him in FA for 2 years. Maybe he's made it clear that he's signing in Vancouver and is purely a rental, which has affected his value? Wishful thinking but he's made a home for himself here, lives in Kelowna, and is clearly one of the main leaders in that locker room. 

Ya those scenarios rarely happen. If this return price is true, I wouldn’t risk it. I would extend him now. He means way more to us than this. 

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Ya those scenarios rarely happen. If this return price is true, I wouldn’t risk it. I would extend him now. He means way more to us than this. 

They are rare, for sure. I do think that if someone were to do it, it'd be Schenn. He came back once already. Clearly he has his spot on our roster, which he probably knows isn't a guarantee next year anywhere else, especially close to home. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Seravalli again spot on in terms of Schenn's trade value. I' ll give him some props for his realistic perception of Luke's current trade value as a pure rental. Nice work Frank.

There is word that the Canucks turned down a second-round pick for Schenn last season, but he also had one more year remaining on his deal at just above the league minimum. Now as a pending free agent, the price may be slightly lower and Braun is a decent comparable from last season. The comparable to Hakanpaa was added to point out that Vancouver is also looking for young, NHL-ready roster players in trades – and although that one isn’t apples-to-apples because Fleury needed to be protected in the Expansion Draft and that must be considered – it adds some food for thought.

I would say his value increased; he has gotten a lot of attention for being a league leader in hits and has the 3rd most points from a defender going into free agency. He is also a plus 8 on a very defensively negative team. 

Add the fact that he is a very low Cap hit, good fighter, good leader and all around team guy.

I say Seravalli is out to lunch.

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

We have plenty of B level prospects and that 3rd is really a 4th with these guys.

While I agree with that with Schenn I’d take as much as we can get now. As much of a great leader and person he is, he’s 34 years old. Another year or 2 you probably ain’t getting anything for him 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If it’s Calgary…these guys are talking Toronto and Boston

You must not have read it through. Clearly says Calgary Boston 

Back in Toronto for a few days after a redeye from LA. As Chychrun Watch continues, another name to keep tabs on, as I just noted on @TSN690, is Luke Schenn. Lots of talk this morning that things are getting close there. CGY/BOS still in mix, heard TB is out. Price: 3rd RD pick +
  • Thanks 1

If the Canucks received a 3rd from Cslgary then I'd expect blueline prospect Poirer coming back.

Again, Brett Kulak similar player but far less physical or productive was in the exact same  position as Schenn but in Montreal. He was traded for:

2nd rd pick

7th rd pick

William Lagesson.

So people thinking its realistic to put Schenn's valuation at a 3rd is not accurate. That is just simply below market value and the Canucks DON'T  have to trade him. This is teams calling trying to obtain him.

11 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

We have plenty of B level prospects and that 3rd is really a 4th with these guys.

Depends on the prospect. We're thin on centers, RD, and could use more tenders for example.

Seems lot of Canucks fans, including myself, may simply have inflated Schenn's value. Though it could be a 3rd and a B prospect isn't far off from a 2nd. We'll see.

It's all moot if management thinks they can get him back as a UFA.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

3rd round pick? Terrible. This is more like a 4th rounder when it comes to the picks these guys will get. 

Would it be better to just keep and extend him? He means so much more to the team (as long as it’s a low Cap hit). 

3rd +

But we should all remember we overvalue our own guys big-time. It's very easy for anyone to look at schenn and understand yes he brings toughness but he really is only a 6/7 dman. New EP ( our top prospect as per Faber ) was a 3rd rounder. We should just be happy we are finally selling not buying for once :P

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

I would definitely prefer a premium asset for Schenn, but that may not be in the cards.  If we look at Boston for example something like a 3rd + Ryan Mast it could be a good package.  Mast is a big two way RD who could develop into a defensive guy for us.  Definitely a bit of a stretch project, but gives us more options and then hopefully we can bring him back in the offseason.

• Upvote 1

Gotta consider the tank too, not having Schenn makes us easier to play against and that's a short-term tank savvy move. 

Ottawa will drop without their tenders, San Jose will sell Meier and Karlsson, Anaheim will sell Klingberg and whatever else they can, Arizona will sell Chychrun and probably Ghost.

Everyone around us will likely be selling what they can, holding steady will not help us this season.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would definitely prefer a premium asset for Schenn, but that may not be in the cards.  If we look at Boston for example something like a 3rd + Ryan Mast it could be a good package.  Mast is a big two way RD who could develop into a defensive guy for us.  Definitely a bit of a stretch project, but gives us more options and then hopefully we can bring him back in the offseason.

This is a realistic return in my opinion. This OR a mid/late 2nd (I know Boston doesn't have one...just value wise). I don't think we are over valuing him; he is the perfect defensive depth rental for a team with SC aspirations this year. 

Schenn offers a bunch of stuff to a true contender:

- a steady 6/7 dman

- A guy that can play 2/3 dman minutes in relief for a couple games

- Cheap expiring contract

- Is a physical defensively sound player

- SC winner...veteran presence 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Gotta consider the tank too, not having Schenn makes us easier to play against and that's a short-term tank savvy move. 

Ottawa will drop without their tenders, San Jose will sell Meier and Karlsson, Anaheim will sell Klingberg and whatever else they can, Arizona will sell Chychrun and probably Ghost.

Everyone around us will likely be selling what they can, holding steady will not help us this season.

Exactly. If, as anticipated ,he resigns with us in the summer, we basically acquire picks or assets for nothing. Win, Win, Win....

• Cheers 1