The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

1 minute ago, Comeback_Kings said:

A rebuild means trading the team's best players, a lot of fans don't want to do that.  I think Pettersson has the chance to be the best Canuck of all time. 

The rebuild would include him. He is the captain moving forward.

Just now, stawns said:

I'm part of the problem?  I'm a person on an internet discussion board

I never said otherwise.

7 minutes ago, myre said:

So do you think this is a contending team? In my opinion, you are part of the problem. You will not embrace a rebuild. How many times do you need to miss the playoffs to recognize The team needs to rebuild? 

You don't trade EVERYONE. Then you turn into Edmonton prior to McDavid, caught in an endless cycle of drafting high and not getting anywhere.

You need veterans to teach the young guys how to play right, an build the right habits, and work ethic. It's all about the right mix.

5 minutes ago, myre said:

I feel like that Russian the next kovalev will fall significantly. Probably a top five talent, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall into the second round

I’ll tell you right now if he’s there at our pick and it’s not top 3 we are taking him. He’s the only other franchisee player in this draft outside of them. We now have 4 Russians with Gonchar on the coaching staff and JR and Allvin won the Cup twice with Malkin being an absolute stud. 

We are not afraid of drafting Russians and if you Remember Malkin also stayed back in Russia a couple years after going 2nd overall. Mitchkov is the 2nd best talent in this draft. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, myre said:

So do you think this is a contending team? In my opinion, you are part of the problem. You will not embrace a rebuild. How many times do you need to miss the playoffs to recognize The team needs to rebuild? 

The Jets, Golden Knights and Kraken are all making the playoffs this year after not making them last season.  A lot of fans, myself included, thought the Canucks would be a playoff team at the start of the season.  This season went off the rails.  There's always next season.  

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

If you make smart trades, trading picks is a good plan and a plan that every team uses

Interesting... What is a smart trade? Because if I look on this board, I see a lot of smart trades, although in hindsight they were terrible trades. I also believe you said the Baer trade was a good trade, that was a horrific trade knowing who we lost out on. In 20 years when all we do is see the two different players. I think it'll look even worse.

Edited by myre

1 minute ago, myre said:

Interesting... What is a smart trade? Because if I look on this board, I see a lot of smart trades, although in hindsight they were terrible trades. I also believe you said the Baer trade was a good trade, that was a horrific trade knowing who we lost out on. In 20 years when all we do is see the two different players. I think it'll look even worse.

They didn't miss out on Anderson.  We have no idea how that season would have played out had the trade not been made.  

Every team in the league has traded picks for young, proven players......every single one, many times over.

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You don't trade EVERYONE. Then you turn into Edmonton prior to McDavid, caught in an endless cycle of drafting high and not getting anywhere.

You need veterans to teach the young guys how to play right, an build the right habits, and work ethic. It's all about the right mix.

I never said we should.

5 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I’ll tell you right now if he’s there at our pick and it’s not top 3 we are taking him. He’s the only other franchisee player in this draft outside of them. We now have 4 Russians with Gonchar on the coaching staff and JR and Allvin won the Cup twice with Malkin being an absolute stud. 

We are not afraid of drafting Russians and if you Remember Malkin also stayed back in Russia a couple years after going 2nd overall. Mitchkov is the 2nd best talent in this draft. 

He is talented. The Russian factor doesn't scare me the compete level does. I just won't be shocked if he falls.

5 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

The Jets, Golden Knights and Kraken are all making the playoffs this year after not making them last season.  A lot of fans, myself included, thought the Canucks would be a playoff team at the start of the season.  This season went off the rails.  There's always next season.  

We have missed a lot more than one season. How would you rate this team since our Stanley cup run?

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think you greatly over estimate the importance any of us have here.  And by greatly, I mean completely.

I have to debated hockey with you over the years. I think you are an intelligent individual. I just happened to completely disagree with you on this.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

They didn't miss out on Anderson.  We have no idea how that season would have played out had the trade not been made.  

Every team in the league has traded picks for young, proven players......every single one, many times over.

Sure you aren't wrong in that aspect. However, you are wrong that every team gambles on other teams cast offs for second round picks. In fact, I've asked you for examples multiple times you haven't shared any.

Just now, myre said:

I never said we should.

He is talented. The Russian factor doesn't scare me the compete level does. I just won't be shocked if he falls.

We have missed a lot more than one season. How would you rate this team since our Stanley cup run?

I have to debated hockey with you over the years. I think you are an intelligent individual. I just happened to completely disagree with you on this.

Sure you aren't wrong in that aspect. However, you are wrong that every team gambles on other teams cast offs for second round picks. In fact, I've asked you for examples multiple times you haven't shared any.

You don't think every team in the league hasn't traded a draft pick for a reclamation project?

Shirley you can't be serious?

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Didn't answer the question but yeah sure all teams trade picks ... I just didn't know that all picks were useless. Why would any GM trade for picks then? :huh:

I never said they were useless at all.  In fact I agreed they are good currency that can be used to being in other assets.  

Just now, stawns said:

You don't think every team in the league hasn't traded a draft pick for a reclamation project?

Shirley you can't be serious?

You sure like moving the goal posts..

I said second rounders for reclamation projects hence why I said Vey and Baer.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Didn't answer the question but yeah sure all teams trade picks ... I just didn't know that all picks were useless. Why would any GM trade for picks then? :huh:

Certainly, at this point, acquiring draft picks should be down on their list of priorities, outside of the first round anyway.  They need to deal with the now first.  They need young players in the 21-23 range who are ready to jump i to the NHL and/or start making an impact.

There's a lot of people here who think there's only one way to skin a cat.

1 minute ago, myre said:

You sure like moving the goal posts..

I said second rounders for reclamation projects hence why I said Vey and Baer.

Did I ever say they all work out?  I'd bet they have a higher hit rate than most of the actual second rounders picked though.

3 hours ago, Tower102 said:

I really want another 1st so we can try to get  Pellinka and Reinbacher on top of the forward we take with our pick. 

Sandin-Pellika is an undersied offensive dman who may really struggle defensively in the NHL. Tyson Barrie comparable. We already have an offensive dman in Hughes.

Rather go with Reinbacher and Bonk.

And hopefully we get a little luck and Strbak falls to us in the early 2nd round.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Did I ever say they all work out?  I'd bet they have a higher hit rate than most of the actual second rounders picked though.

I never claimed you did say they all worked out. I'm just telling you it's a poor strategy. In fact, I think you're absolutely wrong and I think more second rounders work out then these reclamation projects. Also, I pointed that out to you because you are now moving on to 3rd and 4th round picks and pointing out other teams make those trades. I was specifically talking about second rounders. I don't really like management moving any pics to be honest but it is part of the business. However, especially when you are a team where we are at. We shouldn't be trading first or second rounders and that's being about 10 years now. It should have been that way

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I never said they were useless at all.  In fact I agreed they are good currency that can be used to being in other assets.  

But not to use for yourself though right. I ask again, why would any GM trade for picks then?

Doesn't seem to add up.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Certainly, at this point, acquiring draft picks should be down on their list of priorities, outside of the first round anyway.  They need to deal with the now first.  They need young players in the 21-23 range who are ready to jump i to the NHL and/or start making an impact.

There's a lot of people here who think there's only one way to skin a cat.

What team is willing to trade those guys for LS? Hell what team is will to trade those guys in general? You're living pre-salary cap guy.

Just now, myre said:

I never claimed you did say they all worked out. I'm just telling you it's a poor strategy. In fact, I think you're absolutely wrong and I think more second rounders work out then these reclamation projects. Also, I pointed that out to you because you are now moving on to 3rd and 4th round picks and pointing out other teams make those trades. I was specifically talking about second rounders. I don't really like management moving any pics to be honest but it is part of the business. However, especially when you are a team where we are at. We shouldn't be trading first or second rounders and that's being about 10 years now. It should have been that way

It's literally a strategy every team has used and does use

Devon toews acquired by Colorado for two 2nd round picks, neither of which will likely amount to much.  Pretty good deal for the Avs, no?