The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour). Jake Livingstone D - NCAA - NHL Availability

SilentSam

11 minutes ago, BigBird79 said:

I had a big post written but realized I wasn't approved.  Ugh.
Long time lurker first time poster!

TL;DR from what I wrote:

I used to live in Creston.  It's all hay and dairy farmers, small town, big trucks and hunters.  Lots of hunters.

While I hope to heck Livingstone signs here it's unlikely he has much personal connection to Vancouver.

Most people that lived there would much rather go to Calgary than Vancouver for anything.

We just have to hope management can sell him on the team opportunities since we're not going to lure him in with our housing prices :)

Welcome!  And yeah, I've heard that from a couple places that Creston folks probably feel closer to Calgary than Vancouver.  Oh well, hope the selling point of playing beside Hughes is enough.

• There it is 1

29 minutes ago, BigBird79 said:

TL;DR from what I wrote:

I used to live in Creston.  It's all hay and dairy farmers, small town, big trucks and hunters.  Lots of hunters.

While I hope to heck Livingstone signs here it's unlikely he has much personal connection to Vancouver.

Most people that lived there would much rather go to Calgary than Vancouver for anything.

We just have to hope management can sell him on the team opportunities since we're not going to lure him in with our housing prices :)

Welcome to the forum! 

Calgary signed Conor Mackey, who was a big 6'4 RHD out of college and they just traded him away. 

They have Andersson and Tanev, and then two expiring UFAs on the right side, Stecher and Stone.  

Livingston would be hard pressed to get game time this year but it's not our of the realm of possibilities. 

Really hope we sign him two weeks from now. 

Between Jake, Malinski, Pulli, Biakabutuka etc etc there's a lot of good options that realistically could make our roster.
Then we can hopefully turf Garland and Boeser for picks at the draft, &/or trade JTM for 2C and more picks.

Despite all the moves getting wingers management has overall done good and has made strides in the defense.  One way or another I think OEL and Myers are both gone in the summer (like it or not) and that will free up space for the right guys to play D.  Even if Bear gets traded/walks we just need defensive minded LHD and RHD for Hronek and Hughes from NCAA and Wolanin and Burroughs can be 5/6.  They've both been playing well and Burroughs can be the Schenn-esque dad replacement, he has the 'stache for it.

If we don't get the college kids we wan then they can pivot focus on finding D partners with Boeser and Garland trades.

In the extremely unlikely event we land the lottery gold I'm sure they'll pivot again with plans.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BigBird79 said:

TL;DR from what I wrote:

Welcome to the chat, long time lurker. 

Good points thus far. 

• Vintage 1

I don't recall college free agents being this much of a thing. 

Are they all just undrafted players ? If so , how can you properly scout player's who only play against other undrafted players ? 

Presumably he will be on a one way contract if Mr. Livingston is signed ?

Does Russia have college free agents ? Let's look there too :blink:

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

9 hours ago, BigBird79 said:

TL;DR from what I wrote:

I heard this before about Creston and was skeptical. But I just checked the map and yeah, it's way over there and closer to Calgary.

Creston has an airport that can take regional planes. Maybe they can work some regional air travel into his contract 

15 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Are they all just undrafted players ? If so , how can you properly scout player's who only play against other undrafted players ? 

Not sure if it’s a huge thing, but it’s how we got Tanev, and Stetcher 

• Vintage 1

On 3/7/2023 at 7:21 PM, mll said:

Daniel Wagner in Vancouver is Awesome a year ago:

Finally, Livingstone has a lot of attention from NHL teams, so the Canucks could have a lot of competition for his services if they’re interested in signing him. Of course, the local connection and the lack of depth on the right side of their defence could both be pretty big selling points.

Or maybe the local connection won’t help. In his interview with Halford and Brough, he admitted to being a Calgary Flames fan growing up

The East Kootenays gravitate towards Calgary and Lethbridge. Many Albertans have retirement or cottages homes here. Jake played Junior B hockey here on a team with a lot of Albertans on it. But he also played in Langley for a season so is familiar with the Lower Mainland. More important than that is 4 seasons of NCAA hockey. Has he built attachments in the eastern USA? The opportunity to play with Hughes has to be very exciting.

Time to call on the alumni. Jamie Huscroft, good Creston boy, lives in Seattle now. He played for both the Flames and Canucks. I have always wanted the Canucks to interview him while in Seattle for a game. Loved his time with the Canucks. Jake certainly would know of Jamie Huscroft. Maybe our secret ace.

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Free prospects, late developers. There is drafted players that play college hockey. 

I heard this before about Creston and was skeptical. But I just checked the map and yeah, it's way over there and closer to Calgary.

Creston has an airport that can take regional planes. Maybe they can work some regional air travel into his contract 

Seriously, you needed a map?:lol:

Edited by myre

It is 8 hours driving time to Vancouver and 5 hours to Calgary. Ya, a lot of Flame flags but they are newbies. Most Crestonites are Canuck fans. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

19 hours ago, BigBird79 said:

It's all hay and dairy farmers, small town, big trucks and hunters.

You forgot their most important claim to fame..... Kokanee.

Canucks can set Jake up with a supply I am sure.

18 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Welcome to the forum! 

Calgary signed Conor Mackey, who was a big 6'4 RHD out of college and they just traded him away. 

They have Andersson and Tanev, and then two expiring UFAs on the right side, Stecher and Stone.  

Livingston would be hard pressed to get game time this year but it's not our of the realm of possibilities. 

Really hope we sign him two weeks from now. 

Besides if he really wants to play in Calgary.

Sign in Vancouver. And wait.

E691EE61-438B-4FED-AF4B-70C2658095A4.jpeg.f870a93a98101efc9247058ac793d574.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, GB5 said:

You forgot their most important claim to fame..... Kokanee.

Canucks can set Jake up with a supply I am sure.

Ha!  Totally forgot about the brewery.
It's been over 20 years since I was there.  Tried to get in working there but everyone and their mom applies when there's an opening so it's tough.
I'm pretty sure Kokanee would just give him a sponsorship if he cracks the NHL!

Not sure how it works over there but the schedule shows them in CCHA semi's tomorrow, Finals next Saturday if they win.

Same schedule for Cornell and Malinski.

Then there's the NCAA Regional and NCAA Frozen Four? Do all College teams play NCAA games?
Worst case end date is April 8th for them.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Already taken care of. His Dad works there.

Was just thinking of yesteryear. Fans might remember Donnie Murdoch of the NYR, late ‘70’s fame. #6 draft from Cranbrook. His Dad worked at Columbia Brewing as well. A great guy to talk to. Now Jake’s dad works there. I worked there as a summer student. Johnny Bucyk was a regular visitor. Another great guy.

Edited by Boudrias
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

On 12/9/2022 at 11:54 AM, N7Nucks said:

Thankfully we won't have to develop this guy, he's 23. So they did all the work for us. We just gotta not be stupid and not sign him. Dude spent 3 seasons and some change in Langley in the BCHL before NCAA. The only way I see us failing to sign him is if we don't even try. Our RHD depth is non existent. He's almost guaranteed a spot next to Hughes, one of the most dynamic scoring D in the league. If we don't land this kid I am actually done with this management team. I was gonna say done with this team, but I bleed blue and green. I can't lie. But I will definitely not be happy. Lol.

Make no mistake, there'll be plenty more development to come.  It's a step up from College to the AHL and a further step to the NHL.  Some guys make the leap like Stecher and Tanev but they are the exception.  Most don't.

College players tend to be on the smaller side, the good news is that Livingston is not small but it will be a big adjustment in terms of the speed and size of NHL players.

I'm not saying don't go after him.  Please do.  Just temper expectations

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Make no mistake, there'll be plenty more development to come.  It's a step up from College to the AHL and a further step to the NHL.  Some guys make the leap like Stecher and Tanev but they are the exception.  Most don't.

College players tend to be on the smaller side, the good news is that Livingston is not small but it will be a big adjustment in terms of the speed and size of NHL players.

I'm not saying don't go after him.  Please do.  Just temper expectations

Livingston will Hughes' partner. It's the carrot, we can dangle that no other team can, to get him here. He play well and with Hughes, his next contract will be a lot more money than if he's on any other team. Hughes is the key.   

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 2