The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Bo goes then get rid of Rutherford!

Rate this topic

Steve The Poolman

Just now, smithers joe said:

you mean selling the team to the aquillinis was a bad move. i believe JR and PA could fix this team. i think linden could have done it but  the owners want to make the playoffs every year even when they are not good enough.

Well, someone had to buy the team at the time it was being sold by McCaw. I do think that the Aquilini family have made their wishes clear to each and every management group they've hired. And I do believe their approach has always been a short-sighted one. I have no way to prove it, mind you, but after a decade of futility (which includes 5 coaches, 3 GMs, and 2 presidents) things are still just as listless as they've been. 

I do think going with a younger president would have been a better move. Rutherford was on the cusp of retirement and should have continued in that direction. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, someone had to buy the team at the time it was being sold by McCaw. I do think that the Aquilini family have made their wishes clear to each and every management group they've hired. And I do believe their approach has always been a short-sighted one. I have no way to prove it, mind you, but after a decade of futility (which includes 5 coaches, 3 GMs, and 2 presidents) things are still just as listless as they've been. 

I do think going with a younger president would have been a better move. Rutherford was on the cusp of retirement and should have continued in that direction. 

i think JR's reputation of moving players was what we all wanted. his trades, not all good ones changed the complexion of his teams. i think they have found out how tough that can be with the contracts JB handed out.  i'm sure they are trying to make changes. are the aqualinnis on board with a tear down?  i agree that a younger president that is into na full rebuild would be preferable but that can back fire too, i agree with chonsy, i'ld be okay with any move that made this team better in the long run.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i think JR's reputation of moving players was what we all wanted. his trades, not all good ones changed the complexion of his teams. i think they have found out how tough that can be with the contracts JB handed out.  i'm sure they are trying to make changes. are the aqualinnis on board with a tear down?  i agree that a younger president that is into na full rebuild would be preferable but that can back fire too, i agree with chonsy, i'ld be okay with any move that made this team better in the long run.

I'm no fan of the Aqua's. But I find it odd. He let one GM go because he wouldn't go ahead with trades. But he instructs all the others not to make big trades?

I'd like to see someone talk to JR and PA and simply ask. Do you have total autonomy running the team? Because I think from what I've seen Benning tried to build a team that looks good on paper and not on the ice. And there was no one to reign him in on contracts. Now the team is painted into a corner. And because of the cap, we're pretty much stuck.

Even if we had a new owner. And let the GM's do what they want. I don't think there is an easy way out of the mess that Benning has made. Other NHL teams are against the cap too. And they probably don't want to be generous in helping the Canucks out. Now if we can get a series of hockey trades, maybe that and building a proper prospect pool we can get back on track.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

You know me joe. I’m the kind of fan that’s not going jump off the couch and plow my head through the ceiling with a crazy good game nor am I going to through a brick through the tv with a crappy loss. I love the game first. Having played I have an appreciation of the physicality of what it takes. The one thing that impresses me the most ,is the speed of today’s game. And how players can except a pass full flight. That particular move no matter who does it never fails to impress me. And For all the same reasons I followed the oilers back when. They were the for runners to today’s game. I’ve waited as long as anybody. Losing or waiting hasn’t swayed me or changed my love of the game.  I’m always entertained. Win or lose. You take the good with the bad. GCG. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 3
  • There it is 1

14 minutes ago, chon derry said:

You know me joe. I’m the kind of fan that’s not going jump off the couch and plow my head through the ceiling with a crazy good game nor am I going to through a brick through the tv with a crappy loss. I love the game first. Having played I have an appreciation of the physicality of what it takes. The one thing that impresses me the most ,is the speed of today’s game. And how players can except a pass full flight. That particular move no matter who does it never fails to impress me. And For all the same reasons I followed the oilers back when. They were the for runners to today’s game. I’ve waited as long as anybody. Losing or waiting hasn’t swayed me or changed my love of the game.  I’m always entertained. Win or lose. You take the good with the bad. GCG. 

i agree chonsy, that is why i love paul reinhart. he could thread a pass to a streaking forward, through opponents and right on the a team mates stick. the only one that comes close now is hughes. they don't owe me a stanley cup, just the ride through their season. you've played a lot of hockey so you know that there is always ups and downs. fans have to decide if they can go along with a rebuild. that means some favourite players may get moved. cheers lad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You mean the teams that couldn't get past the 2nd round?

The team that was known as a goalie graveyard?

That team?

Sadly as much as I like the 1994 team and the 2011 team.

We've never had a "best team" that could get the job done.

Maybe someday.

That's my thoughts too, our "BEST" hasn't won us anything other then Presidents Cups. We've had teams that were better in certain years but the BEST is yet to be assembled yet, IMO.

JR never said that this team could be 'fixed' in a year.  The management made some good moves in the
offseason by picking up Kuze, Mik, Lazar, Joshua, Aman and Bear.  On the other hand the signing of Miller

and re-signing of Boeser is not looking good.

On paper, the Canucks looked like a bubble team, but we know the end product is looking more like a

leaky rowboat.  I try to stay clear of all the rumours and speculations that have popped up in the pasts

couple of months. 

For now, I am waiting to see what the management team will do in the new year.  There will be opportunities

to improve the team, or at the very least, clear some cap space. Possibilities may include some of Garland

Bo, Miller, Boeser, Schenn, Kuze, Pears, (before tread deadline) and then Myers traded, Poolman bought

out in the offseason.  They need to have a serious look at every possible trade.

I don't expect all of this to happen, but I need to see a significant improvement in this team for next season.

More importantly, I want to see steps taken that will build a team with character and identity that is focussed

on continuous improvement.

Has this management team got the ability to do what needs to be done?  Time will tell. Whatever they do

before TDL and during the offseason will tell us.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

This was one of the best trades ever in the organization. Linden went for Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe as well as a third round pick which turned into Jarko Ruutu.

Mc Cabe became the player traded to Chicago for the pick that allowed us to draft both Sedins. Sadly we get way too emotionally invested in our players here in Vancouver.

If Bo cant be happy making 8 million a year in Vancouver there may be other reasons he wants out.Family pressures or just a new opportunity. I am happy to see a player succeed elsewhere who gave his heart and soul to this team.I just hope we get back assets that make us successful as well.

Sometimes the trade makes sense to the brain just not the heart.

I hear this all the time, "He gave his Heart and Soul to this team". I am thinking, if that is true, and he is thinking of moving on, then he would do what ever he can to get the team the best deal to make them successful in the future. You know, like Linden or Burrows or Hansen would do? 

If he was to do this, I would put him high on that pedestal as many others do. That would be the ultimate Captain move IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

This is a mess that's for sure.    Realistically, the 3 guys we can trade easily that aren't capdumps 

Wanted to sign both Miller and Horvat and trade other guys to fix our D.   Just hope they don't go after a Sutter deal.   As in a foundational guy they pay most of what Horvat would have earned with us anyways 

This is what I was thinking too. Myers is tradeable with only a year left. That money plus Pearson could help us keep Bo. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm just tired of quick fixes, I want to see long term, strong growth with the team. Sure it's great to enjoy the ride. But when the puck drops and you don't know what team is going to play that night, it kinda brings you down. It's one of those things that, let's find out what's broken on the team and working on fixing it.

I am with you on this. I liked it when we had a hard working team that lacked talent in certain positions. It was easy to see what holes needed to be filled. When you have a team that is so "Jekyll and Hyde", like this one, you don't know how to fix it or to make improvements. 

One minute we look like contenders and then the next game, we look like pretenders. It's time for change.

• There it is 1

17 hours ago, Steve The Poolman said:

What is going on in this organization? Trade Horvat? to get what? A centerman that can score? That can be effective in the face off circle?

Give me a break! He's the best player we have. Don't be stupid Jim! Let's get rid of Boeser or Demko. They have both peaked and are both simply deadwood that is bringing this team down. Also trade Meyers and get some effective defensemen. I would invest in some truckloads of smelly salts because these guys don't seem to give a f*ck about being ready for games and just playing the "get the puck to the center zone" game. Even the players that are changing look like they're coasting to the bench. Bruce start benching players that make idiot mistakes. Let them re-evaluate in the pressbox.

Jim and Bruce need to be more aggressive with the players. DON'T PLAY PLAYERS THAT CAN'T CUT IT! Bring up some younger players to try and invigerate some energy. I would sit Boeser, Myers, and any other ineffective players that are lazy or make stupid passes or take ridiculous penalties!

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm just tired of quick fixes, I want to see long term, strong growth with the team. Sure it's great to enjoy the ride. But when the puck drops and you don't know what team is going to play that night, it kinda brings you down. It's one of those things that, let's find out what's broken on the team and working on fixing it.

Well a so called "true rebuild" probably has far less chance of succeeding than a re-tool/pivot does and will take far, far longer

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

This is what I was thinking too. Myers is tradeable with only a year left. That money plus Pearson could help us keep Bo. 

Now things got awfully muddy... I bought into the idea cap was going up with 500 million above projections.   Then Bettman says it's unlikely last 24 hours.  Just going up one.   Ugh.   Guess there is always this: black and white loop GIF by Doze Studio

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Now things got awfully muddy... I bought into the idea cap was going up with 500 million above projections.   Then Bettman says it's unlikely last 24 hours.  Just going up one.   Ugh.   Guess there is always this: black and white loop GIF by Doze Studio

And what about Lockwood in for Garland next year. There's cap there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well a so called "true rebuild" probably has far less chance of succeeding than a re-tool/pivot does and will take far, far longer

They just need to be incredibly lucky or incredibly smart about it.   Can't be a cap team with no prospects.    Yes it could take a very long time either way. 

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

If we believe our "key core" players are good enough to win and their total cap cost allows us to provide a really good support group and with that support group they can win then yes retool.  But is that the case with our current Key Core?  Demko, Petey, Bo, Hughes, Miller.  Is that Key core, if well supported, good enough to be a Cup winner?  If so let's retool.  If not, then we need to deep dive until we have those key core pieces that are good enough to win when properly supported.  

• Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

And what about Lockwood in for Garland next year. There's cap there. 

Garland can't get traded without us giving something up playing 10 minutes a game.   Garland will likely get his chance next year.   Unless my some miracle, we kick butt and make the playoffs.   And his stock goes way up.   That boat has sailed for now at least.  

• Cheers 1