The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Dec. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I love that Miller can generate so much between “inferior” players 

that’s a big part of his value in my opinion 

I wanna see Miller return to his “wrecking ball” ways and cause chaos, it’s what he’s good at. You put him in between some wingers that can cover for him and grind with him. Boom magic happens. All i’m sayin

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I wonder if people freak out about 8m because we’re not used to the number inflating with the salary cap 

like an 8m contract today is equivalent to a 6m player in 2010/2011 in terms of cap hit.

Henrik got 7m x 4 years as a 34 year old (equivalent to 9-9.5m) being a ppg player

Millers contract is very fair, and a whole lot better than Huberdeau.

Its the term and his age that are the biggest issues

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I wanna see Miller return to his “wrecking ball” ways and cause chaos, it’s what he’s good at. You put him in between some wingers that can cover for him and grind with him. Boom magic happens. All i’m sayin

I was watching his foot speed because couple folks pointed it out. He looked so slow. Something is wrong with the guy’s mobility. Some folks calling him lazy pisses me right off. The guy is obviously injured. Once Miller gets back to form, hopefully soon, this team will be next level. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Its the term and his age that are the biggest issues

i really dont see a huge issue with it

The cap is going to go up a lot over the next 5+ years

And the remaining couple years of his contract can be bought out when the time comes, if necessary

I think in a couple years if he maintains a point per game pace, his contract is going to end up looking quite cheap

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I was watching his foot speed because couple folks pointed it out. He looked so slow. Something is wrong with the guy’s mobility. Some folks calling him lazy pisses me right off. The guy is obviously injured. Once Miller gets back to form, hopefully soon, this team will be next level. 

Seems we've had (have) several guys playing through injuries.  Demko, Hughes, and Miller.  Others are likely nicked up too.  OEL was struggling with something there for a while.  It's impossible for a guy (who actually gets involved, so not Trevor "look at me go mommy" Zegras) to get through a season without some kind of damage that slows him down for a while.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I noticed another glaring giveaway pass by Miller last night.

And again trying to do the give-and-go with Lazar on that scoring chance - Miller's passes are off a lot of the time

I actually saw him back check twice yesterday. Of course he gave it away both times and it's his responsibility to begin with, but it's a start. Maybe if he realizes, like last year, that being responsible with the puck directly leads to wins and losses, we'll actually have a chance.

I thought he played pretty well last night, except he should have shot that 2 on 1. That stuff is forgivable though, unlike the hanging his teammates out to dry and setting them up for failure part of his game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I actually saw him back check twice yesterday. Of course he gave it away both times and it's his responsibility to begin with, but it's a start. Maybe if he realizes, like last year, that being responsible with the puck directly leads to wins and losses, we'll actually have a chance.

I thought he played pretty well last night, except he should have shot that 2 on 1. That stuff is forgivable though, unlike the hanging his teammates out to dry and setting them up for failure part of his game.

Do I see some compliments in your post about Miller? 

Oh My God Wow GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seems we've had (have) several guys playing through injuries.  Demko, Hughes, and Miller.  Others are likely nicked up too.  OEL was struggling with something there for a while.  It's impossible for a guy (who actually gets involved, so not Trevor "look at me go mommy" Zegras) to get through a season without some kind of damage that slows him down for a while.  

This is the part of the game fans and media are unaware of. If someone physically looks off, there is a reason behind it. It is not a conditioning thing because we are in game 29 now.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

agree here its a business and if we cant keep the asset we need to get something for him.

Kuz is a good player,. im not sure a 8 million dollar player yet.A whole bunch of things would have to happen to be able to sign him but the stars could align.

Horvat trade could very well end up being the domino that affects all the other players, Kuz, Boeser, etc

This could very well be the next great CDC debate. He should 100% be traded though unless he loves Vancouver and signs a team friendly deal in the next 2 months. If not, ship him out for a good return. This could actually be a coup for the Canucks if he's rented out and then returns. Our management is full of nincompoops' though so I'm assuming we'll keep him for a missed playoff push and sign him to a stupid contract we can't afford while trading another second or first for a Stillman 2.0.

22 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

i really dont see a huge issue with it

The cap is going to go up a lot over the next 5+ years

And the remaining couple years of his contract can be bought out when the time comes, if necessary

I think in a couple years if he maintains a point per game pace, his contract is going to end up looking quite cheap

how do you know?  JB thought the cap was consistently rising too.......if it had, people wouldn't be freaking out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Do I see some compliments in your post about Miller? 

Oh My God Wow GIF

Haha, yeah. I actually like the guy and it disappoints me that I'm slagging him so much as it's really the dumb management decision to re-sign him I don't like.

I've played with tonnes of players like that in my life. Infuriating because they simply don't get the importance of a rounded game yet he's a pro athlete and fully capable of skating back into his own end with his check. On the other hand their top end skill is invaluable to winning at the highest level. We just don't have the right team yet for that type of player to be effective or worth the money. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

how do you know?  JB thought the cap was consistently rising too.......if it had, people wouldn't be freaking out

It generally has though, with the exception being Covid 

59m in 2011 to over 80 now is pretty significant 

Wages everywhere are rising, and nhl players are unionized, they’re going to get their cost of living increase 

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

It generally has though, with the exception being Covid 

59m in 2011 to over 80 now is pretty significant 

Wages everywhere are rising, and nhl players are unionized, they’re going to get their cost of living increase 

Covid and the flat Cap probably hurt us more than most other teams. JB still was a maniac with his Cap management. Giving those 3rd and 4th liners that kind of money was more than enough evidence. 

• Like 1