The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Dec. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I noticed JT floating a few times last night which really bothered me.  He came into the season in great shape and theyve had some days off-what’s his excuse?

I hope its something like an injury or illness because it’s inexcusable if not.

Seemed like he didn’t wanna defend.

Petey seemed off yesterday too, maybe he’s bothered by the potential Boeser trade. 

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

I can totally see how this is going to play out based on how things have played out with Bo.

JR: "We see Elias as an RNH level player."

Then promptly offers 5.125 mil x 8 years, which gets rejected. 

JR gets pissed that his offer got rejected and out of spite signs Kuzmenko to 9 million dollars x 8 years.

CDC erupts.

The season begins.

Petey goes on a tear to start the season. Scores 20 goals and 50 points in 30 games.

JR panics offers 8.5 mil x 8 years. Pettersson rejects the offer. Dahliwal mis-reports the latest offer was for 10 mil for 8 years, which was rejected by EP.

Pettersson releases a statement that he does not wish to answer any questions about contract negotiations.

Season ends.

Pettersson scores 45 goals and 110 points. He accepts the qualifying offer in 2024 with the goal of becoming a UFA in 2025.

CDC erupts.

Edited by jyu
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jyu said:

I can totally see how this is going to play out based on how things have played with Bo.

JR: "We see Elias as an RNH level player."

Then promptly offers 5.125 mil x 8 years, which gets rejected. 

JR gets pissed that his offer got rejected and out of spite signs Kuzmenko to 9 million dollars x 8 years.

CDC erupts.

The season begins.

Petey goes on a tear to start the season. Scores 20 goals and 50 points in 30 games.

JR panics offers 8.5 mil x 8 years. Pettersson rejects the offer. Dahliwal reports the latest offer was for 10 mil for 8 years, which was rejected by EP.

Pettersson releases a statement that he does not wish to answer any questions about contract negotiations.

Season ends.

Pettersson scores 45 goals and 110 points. He accepts the qualifying offer in 2024 with the goal of becoming a UFA in 2025.

CDC erupts.

Thanks for putting that out there. Now that it’s out there it’s not gonna happen.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Kuzmenko agent says they won't discuss a new contract until the end of the season. Do you guys think we need to trade him then if he doesn't sign before then because it's risking him leaving for nothing at the end of the year?

Think management will wait and see...

If nothing from Kuz camp suggests he wants to stay, he's gone at TDL... same issue as Bo, we can let big assets leave for nothing.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, Canucks-12 said:

Thanks for putting that out there. Now that it’s out there it’s not gonna happen.

This management has done opposite of what they've been saying so the news that re-signing Petey is on their radar instills very little faith.

If they don't re-sign Petey in the off season, I think they will lose whatever little support they have amongst the fans.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Maybe not, but as is, he is the one you chose, if you can...

If he doesn't show an interest in staying towards TDL, re address the issue and deal him, but nothing suggests that this is the case...

I think he loves it here. He looks like he's having fun. And it's because he is in a good spot on the roster. Plus Petie! Adding depth to the line up. And everyone and their uncle can see the holes JR needs to fill. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Haha, yeah. I actually like the guy and it disappoints me that I'm slagging him so much as it's really the dumb management decision to re-sign him I don't like.

I've played with tonnes of players like that in my life. Infuriating because they simply don't get the importance of a rounded game yet he's a pro athlete and fully capable of skating back into his own end with his check. On the other hand their top end skill is invaluable to winning at the highest level. We just don't have the right team yet for that type of player to be effective or worth the money. 

Gawdzukes, I agree with your view point.

Miller brings high end skill. There's no reason to dislike the player (although his blind passes are a problem followed by giving up on plays). 

Had JB make the right decisions after 2020 bubble run and without COVID impacting the cap, this team could have really taken off in the standings. In that case, Miller is the player that you want on your team. He's durable and brings physicality for the playoffs along with offensive skills.

Sadly, the team that we have is probably going to miss the playoffs, likely by a small margin. It needs a bit of retool by trading veteran players and use the assets that we get back as a scaffold towards building a consistent playoff and ultimately a cup contender.

Now with Miller re-signed, all we can do is hope that he addresses his weaknesses and maintain his offensive prowess from last season as long as possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I noticed JT floating a few times last night which really bothered me.  He came into the season in great shape and theyve had some days off-what’s his excuse?

I hope its something like an injury or illness because it’s inexcusable if not.

It has to be an injury. 

15 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Agree , but Millstein said he’s going to FA.  So, will have a tough decision at the deadline

Guess that depends, how Canucks approach the situation?

But if so, yes they have to deal him, as they can't afford to let assets walk for free...

2 minutes ago, jyu said:

Gawdzukes, I agree with your view point.

Miller brings high end skill. There's no reason to dislike the player (although his blind passes are a problem followed by giving up on plays). 

Had JB make the right decisions after 2020 bubble run and without COVID impacting the cap, this team could have really taken off in the standings. In that case, Miller is the player that you want on your team. He's durable and brings physicality for the playoffs along with offensive skills.

Sadly, the team that we have is probably going to miss the playoffs, likely by a small margin. It needs a bit of retool by trading veteran players and use the assets that we get back as a scaffold towards building a consistent playoff and ultimately a cup contender.

Now with Miller re-signed, all we can do is hope that he addresses his weaknesses and maintain his offensive prowess from last season as long as possible.

This could be a very different looking team with a #1 RHD instead of Horvat, and a couple seasoned penalty killers on the 3rd line 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Canucks-12 said:

Seemed like he didn’t wanna defend.

Petey seemed off yesterday too, maybe he’s bothered by the potential Boeser trade. 

I dont want to over react either.  Some plays (like when he was defending on a CGY rush) I could definitely see as positional (switched off with Schenn) but I recall him looking pretty stationary at times.  

EP looked pretty good in the D zone at least. His down low defending is really solid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Kuz will likely take the money.

Playing with E.P. looks like fun, but given Kuzmenko's age, I'd say he goes free agent.

He signed with the Canucks as a mercenary, he's had a plum opportunity to pile up points next to the most talented center he's probably ever played with, he'll be 27 in February and doesn't have the longevity ahead of him that most guys signing their ELC's do. He's already quite a ways further into his career.

He doesn't owe the team any loyalty after a single season, this is likely his best opportunity to cash in on what'll probably be the largest deal of his career. If he walks to UFA someone would overpay him if he continues his current rate of production. 

His agent was also on earlier this month saying that they weren't planning on talking extension til the end of the season, or closer to that point. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

This could be a very different looking team with a #1 RHD instead of Horvat, and a couple seasoned penalty killers on the 3rd line 

Where are we getting a #1 RD? We aren't getting one for Horvat.

That leaves us with Free Agency. Severson, Dumba and Klingberg. Not really top 2 guys but decent chance they are paid like one.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think he loves it here. He looks like he's having fun. And it's because he is in a good spot on the roster. Plus Petie! Adding depth to the line up. And everyone and their uncle can see the holes JR needs to fill. 

Hope you are right amigo... 

He does look like he is enjoying it... and a few inform talks may settle it, as look as JR doesn't try to low ball him like Bo... 

• Cheers 1

But that's fine, I'm fully on board with trading Kuzmenko. I believe Pettersson's similar to the twins in that he'll make almost anyone look good playing with him, I don't worry about his not being able to produce with someone else in the slot Kuzmenko has been filling. 

Teams needs prospects something fierce, trading Kuzmenko would be a good move to build up our pool a bit, which is desperately needed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1