The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Dec. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Was Kuzmenko guaranteed a spot on the top line with Petey and PP1 duties from day one?  I don't think so.  Boeser was supposed to be the guy on PP1 going into the season.  So there was no guarantee Kuzmenko would have gotten that spot.

Even if Kuzmenko is playing on Edmonton's second line he is still a PPG player.  And now with Kane's injury he would have been used more.  Injuries do happen.  In any event, Edmonton was just one example.  He had many teams chasing him so to suggest that Vancouver was the only place that would guarantee him top minutes and PP1 time is false.  Boeser's failure to play at a high level this year is what pushed Kuzmenko into that PP1 role and he's never let it go other than a couple games to showcase Boeser.

No but he didn't have to compete with the likes of Hyman or Kane or RNH to get to PP1. 

He isn't a ppg player there even on the 2nd line. RNH is only a ppg player because he is on PP1. There's a big difference in talent between RNH and Petey. He won't ever get on PP1 because of the depth they have there. Kane barely gets on PP1 since he's fighting with Hyman for that final spot. 

Vancouver afforded him the best opportunity to play with either Miller, Horvat or Petey consistently. How many teams in the league could offer you the chance of playing with three seperate 30 goal scoring centers?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, mordekai said:

He definitely did a lot of that last year but he is also doing a lot of poor passes and lazy backcheck and line change. Surely you saw the drive by hit he did last night then he proceeded to the bench meanwhile flames went on a rush 4 on 2. He was the third guy back but went to the bench. That is what annoys the heck out of me 

Yeah I saw that but don’t forget he was one of the fastest players on our team last year. He has got to be injured, like I said many times over. He is going about half speed, that’s obvious. It’s not about being lazy. And don’t go there about the passing. We have a lot of our top guys with poor passing moments. 

Miller at 80% is still productive on this team. He is physically engaged, quarterbacks our PP and remains as a very good playmaker. 

My thoughts are whatever injury he is dealing with is not only is hampering his play driving ability/end to end rushes, but also his ability to effectively win draws too (another reason why he has been relegated to the wing).

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Maybe he doesn't. That is why someone who is concerned with the bottom line is more focused on the worst case instead of the hopeful case.

Isnt that already implied in the discussion/my comment? It was an empirical counter point-both points have already been made.

30 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Yeah I saw that but don’t forget he was one of the fastest players on our team last year. He has got to be injured, like I said many times over. He is going about half speed, that’s obvious. It’s not about being lazy. And don’t go there about the passing. We have a lot of our top guys with poor passing moments. 

Miller at 80% is still productive on this team. He is physically engaged, quarterbacks our PP and remains as a very good playmaker. 

My thoughts are whatever injury he is dealing with is not only is hampering his play driving ability/end to end rushes, but also his ability to effectively win draws too (another reason why he has been relegated to the wing).

delusional = 100%

It’s not about being lazy. 

It's 100% about being lazy and irresponsible, and being unaccountable to your teammates ...

An elite player can get in on the offensive end and play good defence at the same time.

What else could it possibly be? He's a grown man. Either he decides to skate back or he doesn't?

Edited by Gawdzukes

Canucks 7-3 in their last 10

Oilers are 7-3 so remain 5 points up, in 4rth for the division, Canucks with a game in hand

L.A. are 4-4-3, 3rd in the division  thus the Canucks have gained 3 points and are only 6 points back-with  3 games in hand

2nd place Seattle went 6-4, Canucks are 6 points back-Kraken with a game in hand

1st place Vegas went 5-5, Canucks gained 4 points and are just 14 points back, with 2 games in hand.

Things look a bit better for the 'make the play offs -anything can happen' crowd; esp. Just have to get past Flames, Oil and Kings to get to 3rd.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Is he though? Athletes can be quite arrogant and he might think EP40 is getting all those assists because he (Kuz) has a knack for being in the right place at the right time and is finishing.  

Hard to think that standing by the side of the net with the blade angled, and getting it hit by a puck is an elite skill.   Didn't Semenko, Anson Carter and many others have that same ability?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Isnt that already implied in the discussion/my comment? It was an empirical counter point-both points have already been made.

No I think the important point is that his decision to stay or go (50%) will be made at the season end which is too late to trade him at the TDL. Therefore if he does leave (opposite of Miller but we don't know) we will have missed the opportunity to trade him.

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Maybe I'm thinking of McSorley 

D man- topped out at 15 goals in a season, had a 41 point season, and a couple that were close to that.

did have 399 pims in a season so he could do that part very, very well.

Edited by Gurn
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No I think the important point is that his decision to stay or go (50%) will be made at the season end which is too late to trade him at the TDL. Therefore if he does leave (opposite of Miller but we don't know) we will have missed the opportunity to trade him.

I mentioned this in the kuz extension thread but if Milstein is adamant about getting more games played and the Canucks are unsure about the prospect of re-signing him, they could go about trading him.  That’s a

def possibility.  

Right now everyone is speculating about what might happen and there are sound reasons for all of it.  To quote @Coconuts

45 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe he doesn't. 

Round and round we go. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

D man- topped out at 15 goals in a season, had a 41 point season, and a couple that were close to that.

did have 399 pims in a season so he could do that part very, very well.

He did have seasons of 10, 15, 7, 7 and 15 for his first 5 years with Gretzky and the Kings

But, yes, my examples were poor.

My intent was to imply that the skill was with the passer (Pettersson, Miller, the Sedins, Gretzky) rather than the the finisher. 

Obviously I failed. :mellow:

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

He did have seasons of 10, 15, 7, 7 and 15 for his first 5 years with Gretzky and the Kings

But, yes, my examples were poor.

My intent was to imply that the skill was with the passer (Pettersson, Miller, the Sedins, Gretzky) rather than the the finisher. 

Obviously I failed. :mellow:

you were likely thinking about this guy.

BJ McDonald 

1977-78 Edmonton Oilers WHA 80 34 34 68 11   5 1 1 2 0
1978-79 Edmonton Oilers WHA 80 34 37 71 44 35 13 8 10 18 6
1979-80 Edmonton Oilers NHL 80 46 48 94 6 1 3 0 3 3 0
1980-81 Edmonton Oilers NHL 51 19 24 43 27 -8 -- -- -- -- --
1980-81 Vancouver Canucks NHL 12 5 9 14 10 1 3 0 1 1 2
1981-82 Dallas Black Hawks CHL 3 1 1 2 0   -- -- -- -- --
1981-82 Vancouver Canucks NHL 59 18 15 33 20 0 3 0 0 0 0
1982-83 Fredericton Express AHL 60 29 37 66 20   7 2 3 5 2
1982-83 Vancouver Canucks NHL 17 3 4 7 2 -1 2 0 2 2 0
1983-84 Montana Magic CHL 4 1 0 1 0   -- -- -- -- --
1985-86 Innsbruck EV Austria 23 20 18 38 8