The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

We should still tank for one season. This season isn't worth saving. Considering who is available in 2023

This team is too good for a tank. We suck, yeah, but we have too much talent. Tanking means trading everyone and playing AHL'ers which isn't going to happen.

Sorry I'm a realist. We won't be tanking. Expect a 10-15 overall pick.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jyu said:

Why does Francesco have so much hair compare to the other Aquillini bros, who have no hair?

Isn't hair loss related to thinking hard and being smart? If so, should we let the other Aquillini bro run the team instead of Francesco?

Francesco, just has to see that his flawed ideas, has only led to the club having a weak prospect pool, no cap and the worst record of any team, in the past 7 years - whilst, some of the rebuilding clubs, are turning the page to contend for a cup.   This strategy, has cost the team: JM, TT & Tanev in the past; and POTENTIALLY one/two of: Bo, Kuz & Bear.  

But Aquamans' endeavors are still profitable.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

How many of you really care about THIS team? Do you feel connected to it in any way? Is apathy setting in. I am just trying to gage the feelings of the fanbase. For me I am not really caring if they win or lose. I want to but it just feels like a team who could care less and who does not have any pride in the way they play. Makes it hard to support.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Alvin just said he wants players 25 or younger.

Any Horvat trade has 25 or younger coming back.

It's not a traditional "rebuild", but it's more than "retool on the fly". Rebuild means tearing down the studs and starting from scratch.

We have some solid pieces. Pettersson, Hughes, Podz at the very least.

Again we will see how the Bo trade turns out to determine how I feel about this management group. I haven't agreed with everything they've done but have liked most of it.

If we can get 2 solid roster players under 25 (one RD, one C) with good potential, and a pick, I'll be happy with it.

No one is giving us 2 solid roster players under 25.

Whatever Allvin wants, other teams want as well. If you have an RD and a C under 25 on your roster, would you trade them for a pending UFA? 

Horvat will be a rental. No one in their right mind is giving up two players under 25, let alone the two players that play the prime position of RD and a center. 

Sometimes, you just have to take the loss when it's inevitable. The sooner you cut your losses, the better it is.

The management just inherited a team and should know that they are afforded some time to take a step back. 

They are the ones that are refusing to take a step back while the fans are urging them to do so. It's usually the other way around. The team has to come out, write a letter apologizing for having to take a step back for a few years. 

We have Petey, Hughes, and Demko. The rebuild could be very quick if done right and with a bit of luck.

This is not like when JB took over and we had no one. JB literally had to build everything up from the scratch.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

HOLY S***

I just figured out the Stillman play.

NJ Drafted Chase Stillman

So PA acquires Riley Stillman

Chase Stillman refuses to report to NJ unless they acquire Riley

PA demands Hughes & Hischer for Riley Stillman

Minessota signs Loui Eriksson to play alongside Eriksson-Ek

The stillman brothers reunite in NJ

The hughes brothers reunite in Vancouver

The Erikssons reunite in Minny

Edited by eeeeergh
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jyu said:

No one is giving us 2 solid roster players under 25.

Whatever Allvin wants, other teams want as well. If you have an RD and a C under 25 on your roster, would you trade them for a pending UFA? 

Horvat will be a rental. No one in their right mind is giving up two players under 25, let alone the two players that play the prime position of RD and a center. 

Sometimes, you just have to take the loss when it's inevitable. The sooner you cut your losses, the better it is.

The management just inherited a team and should know that they are afforded some time to take a step back. 

They are the ones that are refusing to take a step back while the fans are urging them to do so. It's usually the other way around. The team has to come out, write a letter apologizing for having to take a step back for a few years. 

We have Petey, Hughes, and Demko. The rebuild could be very quick if done right and with a bit of luck.

This is not like when JB took over and we had no one. JB literally had to build everything up from the scratch.

Yup: the law of diminishing return

Allvin made a mistake signing Miller before Horvat.  That's water under the bridge.  I think that he's in a jam that wasn't his own making.  There are a couple of really shitty contracts.  OEL was the worst deal.  Myers is pretty inefficient.  Boeser and Garland aren't great.  So what do you do about it?  In the flat cap world, you almost have to let them age out because you have to give up something significant to move the bad contracts 

OEL 4 more years

Boeser 2 more years

Garland 3 more years

Myers 1 more year

You can't be buying players out either but at least these guys can play to some degree even if their contracts are worse than they play.  I think that we could see Horvat go for very little because the alternative is that he goes for nothing

Rutherford will spell out the facts of life to the owner and explain how all of the crap moves that have been made in the last number of years have put the Canucks behind the 8-ball.  Hopefully the owner will just shut up and let the professionals do what they have to do.

I hate these Allvin interviews because he's not going to throw anybody under the bus and there is really not a whole lot that he can do.  He can't get returns for value for players like Horvat or Boeser and others because everybody knows what a jam they're in.  It really sucks.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Crabcakes said:

Allvin made a mistake signing Miller before Horvat.  That's water under the bridge.  I think that he's in a jam that wasn't his own making.  There are a couple of really shitty contracts.  OEL was the worst deal.  Myers is pretty inefficient.  Boeser and Garland aren't great.  So what do you do about it?  In the flat cap world, you almost have to let them age out because you have to give up something significant to move the bad contracts 

OEL 4 more years

Boeser 2 more years

Garland 3 more years

Myers 1 more year

You can't be buying players out either but at least these guys can play to some degree even if their contracts are worse than they play.  I think that we could see Horvat go for very little because the alternative is that he goes for nothing

Rutherford will spell out the facts of life to the owner and explain how all of the crap moves that have been made in the last number of years have put the Canucks behind the 8-ball.  Hopefully the owner will just shut up and let the professionals do what they have to do.

I hate these Allvin interviews because he's not going to throw anybody under the bus and there is really not a whole lot that he can do.  He can't get returns for value for players like Horvat or Boeser and others because everybody knows what a jam they're in.  It really sucks.

WIN NOW = WINNING NOTHING 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Just my 2 cents. Shot blocking is not as effective as blocking lanes, being physical, keeping forwards to the outside, and stopping passes. Forcing the other team to take low percentage shots on goal is a lot better. Blocking shots is a last ditch effort. And usually players that do that are frozen out of position. I'd rather have a defence with active sticks, and muck up the opponents attack.

OEL does most of those things you listed well. But shot blocking is a huge part of shot suppression, especially on PK where you are expected to be out of position from time to time just because the other team's best players are making world class plays and the only option you have is to make the last ditch effort. OEL doesn't do that part well.

If the management doesn't take advantage of the first 2-3 years to properly map out their rebuild, it's only going to get harder for them.

If they come out in year 3 or 4 and say that they need a retool again or rebuild or whatever, good luck. No fan will be happy.

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

How many of you really care about THIS team? Do you feel connected to it in any way? Is apathy setting in. I am just trying to gage the feelings of the fanbase. For me I am not really caring if they win or lose. I want to but it just feels like a team who could care less and who does not have any pride in the way they play. Makes it hard to support.

Well for me I could care less about this particular group. I feel that most of the players do not care enough about winning and they don't play with enough heart or pride. It's just a very poor team composition and it hasn't worked for years. I am also apathetic.

In the past we had Canuck teams we could be proud of, win or lose. The early to mid 90s with Bure, Linden, McLean, the 2000s West Coast Express era of Naslund, Bertuzzi, Morrison, Jovo, and of course the peak Sedin years with Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Luongo.

• There it is 2