The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller now (tied) as 17th Worst +/- player in the entire NHL - out of 825

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

2 hours ago, awalk said:

I initially read this as he has the worst +/- out of the entire NHL and was like whoa ok that's bad... and then looked it up and he's got 30 points in 36 games and is a -13 and realized the title says he's 30th out of 825 players and this is considered an atrocious season for him by many here (largely due to his new contract and the fact that not trading him signaled we aren't rebuilding, which we should do, so now people are just upset about that)... I mean... I'm just not sure this is that bad, all things considered?

Edit: and I've literally been calling for a rebuild since before Benning was fired, so I'm sure I'm extremely biased towards finding things wrong with Miller to begin with...

what's a "rebuild" in your eyes?

Just now, stawns said:

what's a "rebuild" in your eyes?

Trade assets for as many picks and prospects as you can, not young players who are already in the NHL / reclamation projects. Hold off on signing free agents, prioritize cap space.

You can't realistically trade everyone without going full Arizona, so it probably includes at least trying to keep core pieces like Petey and Hughes. 

In our case, trading Horvat and Miller would indicate a rebuilding direction, depending on the return.

1 minute ago, awalk said:

Trade assets for as many picks and prospects as you can, not young players who are already in the NHL / reclamation projects. Hold off on signing free agents, prioritize cap space.

You can't realistically trade everyone without going full Arizona, so it probably includes at least trying to keep core pieces like Petey and Hughes. 

In our case, trading Horvat and Miller would indicate a rebuilding direction, depending on the return.

I wasn't baiting you, just thateveryone has a different definition.

I don't see that as a realistic way to build a hockey team, nor do many, if any, teams do it successfully.  JB did start a rebuild, but "rebuilds" take a long time to decelop and the Canucks are at the phase all rebuilding teams get to.......they're stuck and need a couple of bold moves to get them past this spot.  Moving Horvat will be catastrophic, imo

Just now, stawns said:

I wasn't baiting you, just thateveryone has a different definition.

I don't see that as a realistic way to build a hockey team, nor do many, if any, teams do it successfully.  JB did start a rebuild, but "rebuilds" take a long time to decelop and the Canucks are at the phase all rebuilding teams get to.......they're stuck and need a couple of bold moves to get them past this spot.  Moving Horvat will be catastrophic, imo

"I wasn't baiting you but here's my already prepared response on the answer I knew you were going to give and why I don't agree with it" :lol:

I think it's a perfectly realistic option that lots of teams have used to get better. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

1 minute ago, awalk said:

"I wasn't baiting you but here's my already prepared response on the answer I knew you were going to give and why I don't agree with it" :lol:

I think it's a perfectly realistic option that lots of teams have used to get better. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

wasn't prepared at all.  Y9ou gave a definition that many people give, hence my response.  Had you given a different definition, I would have replied differently.

I don't see many teams successfully rebuilding that way

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

wasn't prepared at all.  Y9ou gave a definition that many people give, hence my response.  Had you given a different definition, I would have replied differently.

I don't see many teams successfully rebuilding that way

Because that is a pretty standard definition of a rebuild. You prefaced your response with "I'm not baiting"... exactly what a master baiter would say :bigblush:

Media and fans need to chill. We keep adding fuel to the fire and we will be stuck with him forever. Still have a chance for some middle of the pack weird team to take him on via scuffed contract swaps ( we take on someone with waaay less term but similar dollar ) . Won't happen at this rate lol

12 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Media and fans need to chill. We keep adding fuel to the fire and we will be stuck with him forever. Still have a chance for some middle of the pack weird team to take him on via scuffed contract swaps ( we take on someone with waaay less term but similar dollar ) . Won't happen at this rate lol

Too late for that, dude. It'd take a minor miracle to move JTM before his new contract begins. Still a chance, but management has to put the future of the team first instead of a mediocre, playoff bound team now. Sucks that it's all about the moolah. Yep. I'm agreeing with ya' dude!

Edited by Sativika

21 hours ago, kilgore said:

I think Hrudey, the CBC panel, the rest of the national media, the local sports media, the other threads and posts in here is enough Miller bashing for one day. Give it a rest.

I disagree. He definitely deserves it. 

• Vintage 1

• RU SERIOUS changed the title to Miller now (tied) as 28th Worst +/- player in the entire NHL - out of 825
28 minutes ago, Sativika said:

Too late for that, dude. It'd take a minor miracle to move JTM before his new contract begins. Still a chance, but management has to put the future of the team first instead of a mediocre, playoff bound team now. Sucks that it's all about the moolah. Yep. I'm agreeing with ya' dude!

I'm still confident a deal can be made but it's gone from getting futures back to simply getting another high dollar bot who expires sooner than 8 years from now. We are the worst managed franchise ever I swear lmao 

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I'm still confident a deal can be made but it's gone from getting futures back to simply getting another high dollar bot who expires sooner than 8 years from now. We are the worst managed franchise ever I swear lmao 

When the owner is setting an nearly impossible direction, then it makes for poor management.  Benning made a great many terrible, and long lasting mistakes, but he did bring in a very good core four (Bo was already here, of course). 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When the owner is setting an nearly impossible direction, then it makes for poor management.  Benning made a great many terrible, and long lasting mistakes, but he did bring in a very good core four (Bo was already here, of course). 

I mean a core that has done nothing. Almost, no different from the Oilers core of Hall, RNH, and Eberle 

25 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I mean a core that has done nothing. Almost, no different from the Oilers core of Hall, RNH, and Eberle 

True dat. Same goes for the Laffs when they got ousted in round 1....how many times?

The difference betwixt us and them is they have 1st overall studs. 1st overall doesn't necessarily make one a stud. But there's no denying Mathews and McDavid are studs and their respective team's franchise players. They're building with not just playoffs in mind, but to win  it all.

But what are we building for. All teams wanna gear for the big one, of course, but in the real world of professional team sports, some are just not able to do it and they know it. I think we're one of those "not able" teams. 

Honestly, if an organization can build hope, then we can assume they get their wish and bring in some playoff revenue and we as fans go, "Oh well. There's always next time!" Honestly, I loved watching the Canucks in that bubble year. That "hope" thing is exactly what I'm talking about; squeaking in the bubble playoffs. It was mostly positive, wasn't it. I mean we, and the media waxed enthusiastic about bubble Demko, BoHo, Toffoli, Miller, Petey......need I go on? 

It brought smiles to our faces and good feelings even though we lost to Vegas in seven in the 2nd round. But that effort gave us hope, didn't it? 

Hope with trades and off season acquisitions, hope for the beginning of the next season. Hope, right? That seems to be what is going on with this team. Keep the fans happy and eventually something might/will happen.

As JB said,  and he's not the first to say so, "anything can happen in the playoffs!" That's a "hopeful" statement if I ever heard one. Maybe. Just maybe. Could this be the year? Are we that Cinderella team? Can we do it? Blah, blah, blah...Blah, blah, blah.

Well gang......I'm afraid that these are the cards we're dealt for now. I'm alright if we get to play in the post season. Gives me something to cheer for.....until we're ousted by a better team. And it seems that every projected playoff bound team we'd be contested against, will be SC contenders. Yea. We need a Fairy Godmother and a Pumpkin Stagecoach for sure. (Metaphor!)

Go Canucks Go!

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Even yearly playoff contender STL fully admits they are going for playoffs till its no longer feasible and they are switching to sellers. We just refuse to admit a direction. This ho hum attitude needs to stop. It's unfair and honestly ruining the fanbase.

It this point its like we are trying to take heat off of the team by trying to keep the fans all pissed at eachother instead lmao 

18 minutes ago, Sativika said:

True dat. Same goes for the Laffs when they got ousted in round 1....how many times?

The difference betwixt us and them is they have 1st overall studs. 1st overall doesn't necessarily make one a stud. But there's no denying Mathews and McDavid are studs and their respective team's franchise players. They're building with not just playoffs in mind, but to win  it all.

But what are we building for. All teams wanna gear for the big one, of course, but in the real world of professional team sports, some are just not able to do it and they know it. I think we're one of those "not able" teams. 

Honestly, if an organization can build hope, then we can assume they get their wish and bring in some playoff revenue and we as fans go, "Oh well. There's always next time!" Honestly, I loved watching the Canucks in that bubble year. That "hope" thing is exactly what I'm talking about; squeaking in the bubble playoffs. It was mostly positive, wasn't it. I mean we, and the media waxed enthusiastic about bubble Demko, BoHo, Toffoli, Miller, Petey......need I go on? 

It brought smiles to our faces and good feelings even though we lost to Vegas in seven in the 2nd round. But that effort gave us hope, didn't it? 

Hope with trades and off season acquisitions, hope for the beginning of the next season. Hope, right? That seems to be what is going on with this team. Keep the fans happy and eventually something might/will happen.

As JB said,  and he's not the first to say so, "anything can happen in the playoffs!" That's a "hopeful" statement if I ever heard one. Maybe. Just maybe. Could this be the year? Are we that Cinderella team? Can we do it? Blah, blah, blah...Blah, blah, blah.

Well gang......I'm afraid that these are the cards we're dealt for now. I'm alright if we get to play in the post season. Gives me something to cheer for.....until we're ousted by a better team. And it seems that every projected playoff bound team we'd be contested against, will be SC contenders. Yea. We need a Fairy Godmother and a Pumpkin Stagecoach for sure. (Metaphor!)

Go Canucks Go!

How many post seasons do you want Bo, Petey, Demko and Hughes to miss?  A good player only gets 10-15 chances to play in the post season, if they stay healthy in their careers, every chance matters to them.  

Further to that, most Cup winners endure many playoff disappointments before they get to be legit contenders.  If they're not going for the playoffs, they need to move Hughes and Petey as well

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

It's easy to denounce Putin when you're a nobody with no family members there but he still has a lot of relatives there. Considering how many critical people get accidentally poisoned I can accept him being silent to protect his family. He didn't say "yeah let's take it back" he said "please no more war". He did refer to Putin as his president but that's just what the reality is. https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-power-rankings-hurricanes-surge-to-no-1-spot-amid-nine-game-winning-streak/

I support Ukraine but i wouldn't risk my family for a soundbite.

It’s definitely not going to be easy for him to speak out, but it’s the right thing to do.  He has the potential to have a truthful impact on the brainwashed Russians.  It’s easier to shut your mouth and make millions in North America  while you pose with Putin on instagram.  I hope he gets his little goal scoring record but I don’t respect him, I might be a nobody but ovechkin is just a hockey player. Just my opinion. 

One of his teammates needs to tell him to smarten up and play proper hockey with effort and determination and stop the pouting and being lazy every play like a little b@tch !  After they do that they can go and put Myers, ELO, Studnicka, Stillman, and Poolman on a slow boat to China.