The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller now (tied) as 17th Worst +/- player in the entire NHL - out of 825

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

HNIC loves to hate the Canucks in general.  Just like fans love to vilify a player when their team is doing badly.

HNIC said bad stuff about Burr didn’t they?  Ron McLean did, if I remember right.  If not for Bieksa it would be constant hatred of us.  These guys, who live east of the Rockies, are jealous of our beautiful province, especially the west coast.  They’re baby whiners.  

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

While he's been mostly on the heels of our previously worst +/- player (Boeser - who's not far behind him), Miller has now surpassed him as the 30th worst +/- player in the entire National Hockey League out of all 825 players and only a few more +/- slots from being in the Top 10 Worst in the League.   As the panel on HNIC pointed out during the game against Calgary on Saturday and what has been more than obvious to most "Normal" fans, is that he doesn't seem to "walk his talk" about working hard or effort.   

Now that he's "all set" with his new contract, is this decline and "checked-out - I don't give a F&(#" attitude what we'll have to endure until the next decade in the early 2030's when his contract finally runs out or will we ever see the great effort he made in his contract year again, or will the Canucks finally get rid of him this year before it's too late and his NTC kicks in from his new contract next year and we're stuck with him until the next decade?

The +/- stat has always been considered a questionable indicator of a bad player.  I don't know where you found

this list (as usual no link to support your statement), but I did find the 25 worst +/- players and there are some

some darn good hockey players on it.

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/worst-plus-minus-in-nhl-2022-2023

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Who's got $8 million in cap space?

See if Anaheim is willing to trade a 2nd rounder, and Hinds? Or see if they are willing to give up Drysdale?

Or Miller, Stillman and Rathbone for Klingberg so our defence can suck even more?

Tough to tell who we would ask for from them.
Their RD are all pending UFAs (Klingberg, Shattenkirk, Kulikov, Beaulieu) and Fowler doesn't help us as another PMD.  We don't need another goalie (though including Dostal wouldn't be the worst idea).  Terry/ Zegras are obvious untouchables (probably McTavish too?), and then the rest are vet fillers who could be of use just to balance out the cap.

I would personally do Henrique (2 years at $5.875 mil left, 53.6% faceoff man), Vaakanainen (LD/ RD, 6'1", 2 years * $850k who excels on defense) and their 2023 2nd round pick for Miller (not asking for 1st since they're probably in draft lottery for Bedard and they won't include that for Miller; could ask for 2024 1st instead).

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

While he's been mostly on the heels of our previously worst +/- player (Boeser - who's not far behind him), Miller has now surpassed him as the 30th worst +/- player in the entire National Hockey League out of all 825 players and only a few more +/- slots from being in the Top 10 Worst in the League.   As the panel on HNIC pointed out during the game against Calgary on Saturday and what has been more than obvious to most "Normal" fans, is that he doesn't seem to "walk his talk" about working hard or effort.   

Now that he's "all set" with his new contract, is this decline and "checked-out - I don't give a F&(#" attitude what we'll have to endure until the next decade in the early 2030's when his contract finally runs out or will we ever see the great effort he made in his contract year again, or will the Canucks finally get rid of him this year before it's too late and his NTC kicks in from his new contract next year and we're stuck with him until the next decade?

Have you taken the time to see the 29 guys who are way at the bottom of plus minus?

ROR -28

Patrick Kane -25

Seth Jones - 24

Johnathan Toews -18

They all get more on the cap than Miller, right?  JTM is a great player.  We have a craperolla supporting group and even worse goaltending (this year).  

So you are seriously wrong. 

• There it is 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Have you taken the time to see the 29 guys who are way at the bottom of plus minus?

ROR -28

Patrick Kane -25

Seth Jones - 24

Johnathan Toews -18

They all get more on the cap than Miller, right?  JTM is a great player.  We have a craperolla supporting group and even worse goaltending (this year).  

So you are seriously wrong. 

he was good but he’s got his retirement contract and he’s playing like it. he’s just starting to get the well deserved negative publicity for his lazy play and entitled attitude. 
the only time he’s been even remotely effective this season is when he playing on horvats wing. 

he’s flat out sucked at Center - so 8 mill for a second third line winger seems a bit steep.

He’ll be 50 point player in two years and whatever team has him will be looking to pay to get out from the boat anchor contract. 
great players make those around them better he doesn’t. 
he’s no leader and with rumours of a toxic dressing room he’d be my bet as the issue. 
Should have been traded last TDL or at the draft 

hopefully they can find a sucker to take him this year. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, combover said:

he was good but he’s got his retirement contract and he’s playing like it. he’s just starting to get the well deserved negative publicity for his lazy play and entitled attitude. 
the only time he’s been even remotely effective this season is when he playing on horvats wing. 

he’s flat out sucked at Center - so 8 mill for a second third line winger seems a bit steep.

He’ll be 50 point player in two years and whatever team has him will be looking to pay to get out from the boat anchor contract. 
great players make those around them better he doesn’t. 
he’s no leader and with rumours of a toxic dressing room he’d be my bet as the issue. 
Should have been traded last TDL or at the draft 

hopefully they can find a sucker to take him this year. 

You’re entitled to your opinion.  I disagree.  JTM is currently on pace for 70+ points.  I think he will be a 70+ point player for the next five years. He’s a player to build around.  

• Haha 3
  • There it is 1

23 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Way to throw the team under the bus in favour of your Chosen One - the team you declared in the past to be fully supportive of because of your "fandom".  :rolleyes:

Of course!  We are fans and love our team.  It’s clear we have an excellent core five, and a poor (but being improved by current management) supporting cast.  

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Of course!  We are fans and love our team.  It’s clear we have an excellent core five, and a poor (but being improved by current management) supporting cast.  

It doesn't matter what you or Aquilini want. Bo is in charge and he wants to go to UFA. So it's a core 4 now.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

The +/- stat has always been considered a questionable indicator of a bad player.  I don't know where you found

this list (as usual no link to support your statement), but I did find the 25 worst +/- players and there are some

some darn good hockey players on it.

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/worst-plus-minus-in-nhl-2022-2023

NHL Scoring Leaders 2022-2023 (quanthockey.com)

Drake Batherson -24

Jordan Kyrou -18

Johnny Gaudreau -15

Aaron Ekblad -15

Colton Parayko -14

Trevor Zegras - 14

Brady Tkachuk - 13

Moritz Seider -13

Mason McTavish -12

All of those guys are more valuable than either Miller or Horvat.  Some of those guys you wouldn't even get for Quinn Hughes straight up...

• Haha 1
  • There it is 3

Frankly, I don't particularly care for JTM. Career year last year, yeah he's been scoring at a good pace this year, and a couple other decent years. But...lazy, p*** poor defensively, big enough to take the body but rarely does (a fault Bo shares to a point), and quick to point the finger (or run his mouth). I've more or less liked what the new management team has done until they resigned him, instead of Bo.

Now we have an overpriced winger no one will realistically trade for, a center and captain that will bring a high price at the TD, and an attitude that could drive away Hughes and EP40. 

Rutherford, you've possibly signed your retirement contract with this deal. Trade JTM...get what you can...right now I'd take a 2nd and a decent prospect to get rid of him, instead of the 1st, a current good player, an A+ prospect and maybe a lower round pick like could have been at the last TD. Maybe have to sell cheap, because...well, the player isn't as good as he looks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

HNIC said bad stuff about Burr didn’t they?  Ron McLean did, if I remember right.  If not for Bieksa it would be constant hatred of us.  These guys, who live east of the Rockies, are jealous of our beautiful province, especially the west coast.  They’re baby whiners.  

It says a lot when they are saying this kind of stuff in front of Kevin Bieksa.  As Juice said, there is no defending Miller's lack of effort.

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I can't be positive about this but I'm pretty sure the number of NHL GMs who base their decisions on the opinions of TV commentators is roughly zero.

I think the GMs are more than aware of the negative publicity Miller has brought onto himself.  This season has been bad.  The Delia fiasco made headlines, and he made it worse with his follow-up interview.  And with everyone's eyes on him, he made some very lazy plays leading to conceded goals.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Ah, I see; so his lazy effort, his giving up on plays, his turnovers and brain farts (all things that he should be holding himself accountable for, but doesn't appear to be) - they're all because his supporting cast are "craperola".  Got it.  :lol:

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

image.gif.846b8e8629176e941ca7e469edec0f6c.gif

1 hour ago, MNaslund?? said:

I think Ovi had a really really bad +\~ a few years back, I think worst in the league 

He was a -35 in the 2013-2014 season, 3rd worst in the entire NHL that year, only behind Steve Ott and our own Alex Edler who was the worst at -38.  He had 51 goals and 79 points.  Washington definitely should have traded him back then.  Heck, we should have traded Edler too...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1