The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Alexis Lafrenière

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why does every thread have to turn into a Miller thread ffs?

This is a rumor thread about trading for a guy, not sure what you expected. We have like 5 players worth anything in a trade. Petey and Hughes we actually like. Horvat is a UFA. Miller is a spazzatron. And I dunno if Demko actually has a lot of value with his play this season. But he has history of being great. So naturally Bo and Miller will be at the head of all discussions when trading for a guy.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

This is a rumor thread about trading for a guy, not sure what you expected. We have like 5 players worth anything in a trade. Petey and Hughes we actually like. Horvat is a UFA. Miller is a spazzatron. And I dunno if Demko actually has a lot of value with his play this season. But he has history of being great. So naturally Bo and Miller will be at the head of all discussions when trading for a guy.

BoHo for Laffer, Schneider and Raggedy Andy’s first.  Most fair trade all around. 

3 minutes ago, dontaylorforprez said:

K, cool.. suppose the rumour is true and Laffy is actually coming back. Does he actually want to come here? He could nix a trade here couldn’t he?

He's 21 and underutilized in New York. 

A) he wouldn't have any sort of trade protection.

2) he'd likely step onto the first line with Petey, why wouldn't he want to come to the most beautiful city in North America .

• Cheers 2

Other than Trouba who was just named Captain of the team the Rangers don’t really have “bad money” in order to capitalize on a trade for Lafrenier. Podkolzin and Hoglander for Lafrenier is about as heavy as we can go unless they covet Horvat, Miller is too rich at this point with the term left. 

Id pull the trigger with Podz and Hog going the other way. Replace them with a Horvat return and it doesn’t seem that bad. 

Edited by KyGuy123

44 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why does every thread have to turn into a Miller thread ffs?

At the very begining of JRutherfords tenure he stated something to the effect that “ There needs to be a culture change here” “ and many here aren’t going to like it”

He is getting rid of the silent emotionless players ..  and for many on these boards it’s the favorite pretty boys whose posters are taped to their ceilings.

No more mediocracy.

Was Nice to see EP Wack an iPad ,  pretty sure he’s dropping mitts before the season is over ,  he is a beauty,  with a beast pushing through his skin.

On 1/2/2023 at 2:19 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm sure they're acutely aware of it.  Creating the cap space necessary to address those problems is what they're most likely trying to work on.

Hmmm, maybe they should have thought about that while they were committing 19 million to 3 wingers in the summer. Boeser, Miller, Mikeyhev.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Salary cap says hello.

If JT was scoring at Bo's clip I'm pretty sure there'd be GM's kicking the tires.

Only 8 of the 32 teams have decent cap space. And alot of them are bottoming out and trying to offload assets too. 

I get it, it's hard. The question is will there be a significant trade at the deadline? 

I won't hold my breath. 

Regarding that

For teams that can pick up Miller this year vs next year

There are plenty of teams with minimal roster spots and plenty of cap space that could take him without moving anything for 23/24 when his $8 million kicks in.

This year is a bit more of an outlier as currently only 14 teams in the entire league have any available cap space. That being said, he is also as of today only worth $2.9 million if traded based on his current contract of $5.25 million pro-rated.

Of the teams that have the cap space to fit him at 3 million only 5 would have the cap space to retain him in to next season without making moves; those being the Coyotes, Sabres, Ducks, Hawks and Wings.

2022/2023: NHL 2022 https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/cap/

Starting for 2023/2024 when his $8 million cap would kick in, the following teams would be able to fit him without any changes at all.

2023/2024: NHL 2023 https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/cap/2023/

Blackhawks, 12/23 roster spots $45 million in cap space
Ducks, 14/24 roster spots $42 million in cap space
Red Wings, 13/23 roster spots $41 million in cap space
Coyotes, 15/23 roster spots $38 million in cap space
Sabres, 15/23 roster spots #32 million in cap space

When we look at teams able to make moves of $3 million or less that would fit him in, that list triples to 15 total teams that could fit Miller in next year.  This is a damned strange year for teams regarding cap space because when you look at the numbers, as of RIGHT now only 14 total teams have any non LTIR cap space and of those teams, 7 of those teams have less than 2 million with an 8th having less than $3 million.  Meaning more than half of the entire league has literally zero cap space to work with right now to make any level of moves including waiver pick ups.

On 1/2/2023 at 2:56 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Spending 8M (Miller) + 5M (Mikheyev) + 1M (Kuzmenko) when we recently signed 6.6M (Boeser) doesn't help. Don't forget about 3.25M (Pearson) and 5M (Garland) and we've got our answer to where our cap space went.

Sure we can say our 13M defensive pairing OEL-Myers aren't worth their coin but dare I say 8M for Miller brings us more negative value and less positive value than 7M for OEL.

If this management really did understand the problem at defence, they wouldn't have gone out and signed UFA Mikheyev. I know he's been great, but we had absolutely NO need for this signing in the off-season. We just nabbed a freebie superstar in Kuzmenko, why spend 5M of our cap on yet another big winger? I know the UFA defencemen pool wasn't great but that 5M could have easily been allocated for a top-4 defenceman and boy would this team have looked better and more rounded then. Plus (a bit of an aside), at the time Podkolzin was assumed to be in our top-6.

Yup couldn't have said better myself. Mikeyhev has been real good and I really like the guy but talk about dumb spending. It's like you're having trouble paying the mortgage and picking up a second car because you want to feel cool on the weekend. Totally irresponsible and dumb managing.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hmmm, maybe they should have thought about that while they were committing 19 million to 3 wingers in the summer. Boeser, Miller, Mikeyhev.

To be a little fair, when Miller was signed to that contract he was expected to be a Center. It wasn’t until he failed at that this year that he got moved back to the wing.

31 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

At the very begining of JRutherfords tenure he stated something to the effect that “ There needs to be a culture change here” “ and many here aren’t going to like it”

He is getting rid of the silent emotionless players ..  and for many on these boards it’s the favorite pretty boys whose posters are taped to their ceilings.

No more mediocracy.

Was Nice to see EP Wack an iPad ,  pretty sure he’s dropping mitts before the season is over ,  he is a beauty,  with a beast pushing through his skin.

Lol Bo is our best Player, what are you talking about mediocrity for?

Mediocre Is slamming our stick at teammates then coughing up the puck and gliding back on defence. Not sure how you relentlessly defend JT then label Bo as part of the mediocrity. LMAO

On 1/2/2023 at 3:36 PM, VegasCanuck said:

So, if I understand you correctly, your opinion is that other GM's around the league pay attention to what Canuck fans and media feel / believe as opposed to their own internal team and scouts?

I think all of them have better things to do with their day than pay attention to CDC or the Vancouver media lol.

Basically every GM board is filled with tweets from Drance, Robinson, Williams, and MacIntyre, and posts from @RU SERIOUS, @Alflives, and @sedin26.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Salary cap says hello.

If JT was scoring at Bo's clip I'm pretty sure there'd be GM's kicking the tires.

Only 8 of the 32 teams have decent cap space. And alot of them are bottoming out and trying to offload assets too. 

I get it, it's hard. The question is will there be a significant trade at the deadline? 

I won't hold my breath. 

They've made their moves and painted themselves into a corner.  I also won't be holding my breath, Ghosts.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Lol Bo is our best Player, what are you talking about mediocrity for?

Mediocre Is slamming our stick at teammates then coughing up the puck and gliding back on defence. Not sure how you relentlessly defend JT then label Bo as part of the mediocrity. LMAO

Love BoHO but he’s not our best player.  Petey, Hughes, Demko are far better players who are definitely more impactful.  Miller is, over the last 3 years, a much better player than Bo too.  We love Bo, but he’s not our best player.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

To be a little fair, when Miller was signed to that contract he was expected to be a Center. It wasn’t until he failed at that this year that he got moved back to the wing.

Well I knew he was crap last year and pleaded for him not to be re-signed. Regardless how on earth are they so dumb as to add an $8mil 3C when we're cap strapped and the league is in turmoil financially?, while publicly stating we're at least 2 years away from competing. Made zero sense then and makes even less now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love BoHO but he’s not our best player.  Petey, Hughes, Demko are far better players who are definitely more impactful.  Miller is, over the last 3 years, a much better player than Bo too.  We love Bo, but he’s not our best player.  

This season especially, yes he is. And Petey is the only one close this season. Miller is closer to mediocrity than Bo and it is not even close right now.

Looking at NYR forwards: Trochek, Zibanejad, Kreider and Panarin all have NMCs and still have a lot of term left. I'm not sure they'd be good trading partners. Even if they wanted Kuzmenko, he'll need a big raise next year, and Horvat will be about $8 and Miller is $8. They can't afford that with Chytil, Kakko and Kravtsov on their way.

I guess NYR could always use more D if they plan to go deep. Schenn is cheap enough and makes about the same as Lafreniere. VAN would have to add.