Sean Monahan

Trade 4

To TOR:

Luke Schenn

To VAN:

2nd 2023

Trade 5

To LA:

Joni Jurmo and 2nd 2023 (from Schenn trade)

To VAN:

Helge Grans

Tried to look at trades that fill both teams needs. Horvat is the perfect fit in Colorado. They need a 2C and it gives him a chance to win while we get a solid return back. NYR really like JT Miller. He's having a bit of a tough year this year but still has 30 points in 36 games and has performed at a top line level the last three years. MTL likes Boeser from reports it seems, would be a nice swap to take on Monahan who is having a good bounce back year. Schenn goes to a familiar organization for the playoff run, comes back in the offseason. With the LA trade, we get a RD that seems like he should be able to make the jump to the NHL within the next year or two I would assume.

We use the extra cap space to acquire another top 4 RD in the offseason via trade/free agency. The lineup isn't great, and it's not supposed to be, but it gets us in the direction of building towards something better. Hopefully we are able to draft either a top C or RD in the next entry draft.

Lineup after the trade deadline:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Lafreniere - Chytil - Garland

Newhook - Monahan - Podkolzin

Joshua - Aman - Lazar

Hughes - Bear

Dermott - Burroughs

OEL - Myers

Demko

Martin

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Montreal is either re-signing Monahan or moving him for futures. They don’t have the cap space for a $6.65m winger who’s lost the ability to score goals

The Rangers can’t afford Millers full cap hit next season.  So thst doesn’t work for them 

Edited by qwijibo

2 hours ago, Canuck You said:

Need a RH D-man coming back in in one of those trades, Especially if Horvat's involved. Cause that D corpse is absolute trash! Especially with out Schenn.

We won't get everything by doing this.   Get we need one ... but well Horvat is worth a first, a grade A prospect (the prize) and a mediocre to bad expiring contract coming back and that's it as a rental.   The moment JR/Allvin says they are allowing other teams to contact Horvats agent things change somewhat and the market will determine what a trade and sign is worth.   Typically an extra second or prospect,  both meh.   Miller couldn't get us Schneider last season.    Horvat won't get that either, his value actually considering Miller had another year on his deal....well I doubt Horvat even scoring 50 before the TDL goals will get to the same value, but it's possible.    

Last season Miller was pacing Conner McDavid ... on pace for 120 points the second half leading up to the TDL and prior to that 80 points with a different coach.   AND still had term on his deal. Horvat as a sign and trade maybe gets us something like NYR offered, which i believe was a first, Chytill and Lundqvist.   So that's your RHD level best case scenario expectation.   A guy the same size as Rathbone, who at the time was actually a lesser prospect - but played the right side. 

They all work quite well but we can't give up all those quality forwards and young guys and get no defencemen back.

Girard is having a shocking season with Colorado, I'm sure we can snag him from them too. Horvat + maybe Rathbone/2nd for Newhook + Girard + 1st? Wouldn't be my first choice of defenceman though.

With Horvat, Miller and Boeser we can surely acquire two top-4 dencemen and a center here or there. If we're throwing Rathbone and Hoglander in we need to get a couple of centers back.

Boeser can land us one of Monahan, Dumba or Severson. Boom, there's a center or top-4 RD right there (not elite, sure, but will do the job).

Horvat can easily land us a young center and RD by himself. I'm thinking Carlo + Zacha, or Peeke + Kuraly/Roslovic etc. The Boston deal sounds best for us but doubt we're getting a pick back with that.

Would be nice to shift Miller for literally anything but not essential I suppose. If Boeser snags us Monahan, he plays on the wing (or I'd love a Miller for Severson + pick deal). If Boeser gets us a defenceman, Miller has to suck it up and play C.

Obviously trading Myers/OEL/Pearson would be ideal but they'll be too hard to shift.

5 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Trade 1

To COL:

Horvat (50% retained)

To VAN:

1st 2023, Alex Newhook

Trade 2

To NYR:

JT Miller (current contract retained 50%), Nils Hoglander, Jack Rathbone

To VAN:

Alexis Lafreniere and Filip Chytil

Trade 3

To MTL:

Brock Boeser

To VAN:

Sean Monahan

Trade 4

To TOR:

Luke Schenn

To VAN:

2nd 2023

Trade 5

To LA:

To VAN:

Helge Grans

Tried to look at trades that fill both teams needs. Horvat is the perfect fit in Colorado. They need a 2C and it gives him a chance to win while we get a solid return back. NYR really like JT Miller. He's having a bit of a tough year this year but still has 30 points in 36 games and has performed at a top line level the last three years. MTL likes Boeser from reports it seems, would be a nice swap to take on Monahan who is having a good bounce back year. Schenn goes to a familiar organization for the playoff run, comes back in the offseason. With the LA trade, we get a RD that seems like he should be able to make the jump to the NHL within the next year or two I would assume.

We use the extra cap space to acquire another top 4 RD in the offseason via trade/free agency. The lineup isn't great, and it's not supposed to be, but it gets us in the direction of building towards something better. Hopefully we are able to draft either a top C or RD in the next entry draft.

Joshua - Aman - Lazar

Hughes - Bear

Dermott - Burroughs

OEL - Myers

Demko

Martin

I'd be quite pleased if these were the moves. Would be nice to get a RHD back but that just may not be possible, we may have to get that via the draft or FA

7 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Trade 2

To NYR:

To VAN:

I look at this (not critical of your proposal it's reasonable in the present situation) and think how bad our management team is when they apparently were offered Chytill, Lindquist and a 1st for Miller last summer and turned it down, or lost it cause they wouldn't gine NY permission to talk extension to JT. That trade would have solved so many problems we are now facing i.e. Horvat, Cap room etc.. I just have to shake my head and wonder why?

7 hours ago, Canuck You said:

Need a RH D-man coming back in in one of those trades, Especially if Horvat's involved. Cause that D corpse is absolute trash! Especially with out Schenn.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

They all work quite well but we can't give up all those quality forwards and young guys and get no defencemen back.

Girard is having a shocking season with Colorado, I'm sure we can snag him from them too. Horvat + maybe Rathbone/2nd for Newhook + Girard + 1st? Wouldn't be my first choice of defenceman though.

With Horvat, Miller and Boeser we can surely acquire two top-4 dencemen and a center here or there. If we're throwing Rathbone and Hoglander in we need to get a couple of centers back.

Boeser can land us one of Monahan, Dumba or Severson. Boom, there's a center or top-4 RD right there (not elite, sure, but will do the job).

Horvat can easily land us a young center and RD by himself. I'm thinking Carlo + Zacha, or Peeke + Kuraly/Roslovic etc. The Boston deal sounds best for us but doubt we're getting a pick back with that.

Would be nice to shift Miller for literally anything but not essential I suppose. If Boeser snags us Monahan, he plays on the wing (or I'd love a Miller for Severson + pick deal). If Boeser gets us a defenceman, Miller has to suck it up and play C.

Obviously trading Myers/OEL/Pearson would be ideal but they'll be too hard to shift.

1 hour ago, awalk said:

I'd be quite pleased if these were the moves. Would be nice to get a RHD back but that just may not be possible, we may have to get that via the draft or FA

Helge Grans is a RD who is 20, should be able to make the jump soon. LA's depth on RD is insane and they have Clarke coming, so Grans will likely be a trade chip.

It's just not possible for us to get any blue chip top pair RD without giving up a Petey/Hughes/Demko.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grumpyone said:

WHY DO WE ALWAYS HAVE TO RETAIN SALARY ON THESE DEALS ?

For expiring deals it helps to increase the value slightly and make playoff contenders cap compliant before the TDL. There's no issue to our organization to retain for this year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Helge Grans is a RD who is 20, should be able to make the jump soon. LA's depth on RD is insane and they have Clarke coming, so Grans will likely be a trade chip.

It's just not possible for us to get any blue chip top pair RD without giving up a Petey/Hughes/Demko.

Hasn't he been showing in the WJHC that not only is he not dominant at 20 yo in a jr tournament, but that he also isn't remotely close to ready for the NHL?

52 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I agree, and admittedly don't know anything about Grans.

Nicely formulated trade proposals 

18 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Trade 1

To COL:

Horvat (50% retained)

To VAN:

1st 2023, Alex Newhook

Trade 2

To NYR:

To VAN:

Trade 3

To MTL:

Brock Boeser

To VAN:

Sean Monahan

Trade 4

To TOR:

Luke Schenn

To VAN:

2nd 2023

Trade 5

To LA:

To VAN:

Helge Grans

Joshua - Aman - Lazar

Hughes - Bear

Dermott - Burroughs

OEL - Myers

Demko

Martin

These are great and well thought out ideas but it still doesn’t address our biggest need - a young top pairing two way elite RD (or someone that atleast has that realistic potential) to help elevate Hughes to the top pairing, and form a legit top tier top pairing.  

Without this, we will always struggle.  

So with respect to your above line-up in both the short term and long term, wouls

we actually be better or just different?

1 hour ago, Ruthervin said:

These are great and well thought out ideas but it still doesn’t address our biggest need - a young top pairing two way elite RD (or someone that atleast has that realistic potential) to help elevate Hughes to the top pairing, and form a legit top tier top pairing.  

Without this, we will always struggle.  

So with respect to your above line-up in both the short term and long term, wouls

we actually be better or just different?

Only way we get one of those is by trading Petey/Hughes/Demko or drafting well.

The moves above help us tank for a better pick and acquire more picks for the draft.

• Cheers 1

I love Joni Jurmo.  Dude is gonna be a player.  Wouldn't trade him at all right now.  He could be a top 4 stud.  Watch this video and see how he dominated the World Juniors.  This kid is 6'4" and can skate and move like Quinn Hughes.  He is going to be alot better than Helge Grans...

Edited by Elias Pettersson