The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Beau, Schenn, Rathbone for Kotkaniemi and Morrow

I'd consider it, not sure Carolina would buy it though. It depends on how you view Kotkaneimi, and how each side argued what he is. Canucks might argue he's a cap dump whereas Carolina would argue he's a player with upside. The benefit to Carolina would be getting out of his contract, but if they think well of him they might not actually care about his contract. 

Rathbone has minimal trade value imo, and while Carolina could use Beauvillier and Schenn I question whether Carolina would give up Morrow for them if they view Kotkaniemi as a positive asset. More than likely they'd probably rather give up a pick instead. 

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd consider it, not sure Carolina would buy it though. It depends on how you view Kotkaneimi, and how each side argued what he is. Canucks might argue he's a cap dump whereas Carolina would argue he's a player with upside. The benefit to Carolina would be getting out of his contract, but if they think well of him they might not actually care about his contract. 

Rathbone has minimal trade value imo, and while Carolina could use Beauvillier and Schenn I question whether Carolina would give up Morrow for them if they view Kotkaniemi as a positive asset. More than likely they'd probably rather give up a pick instead. 

Agreed that it may not fit what they were aiming for and it does depend on their view of Kotkaniemi.  Beau and Rathbone fit their motto but Schenn is an obvious rental to give some insurance.

I’m still of the mindset that Kotkaniemi and Raty gives us a long term 2/3C behind Petey giving us flexibility.  Not sure who emerges in what position but they should cover those two spots.  Gives us flexibility at the draft if we have C depth and an actual RD in Morrow and hopefully Livingstone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Might cost too much for a player they're not sure they'd be able to retain, could pivot. I'll be surprised if they just stand pat. 

Didn’t their owner come out and say they’re gonna spend and go all in?

Whos plan B for them?

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Agreed that it may not fit what they were aiming for and it does depend on their view of Kotkaniemi.  Beau and Rathbone fit their motto but Schenn is an obvious rental to give some insurance.

I’m still of the mindset that Kotkaniemi and Raty gives us a long term 2/3C behind Petey giving us flexibility.  Not sure who emerges in what position but they should cover those two spots.  Gives us flexibility at the draft if we have C depth and an actual RD in Morrow and hopefully Livingstone.

I'd love to somehow grab Morrow, no question. I'm also not as low on Kotkaniemi as others, I do see him as a player with upside given his age and draft pedigree. If he can develop into a 40-50 point player who can play reliable defense I'd be happy with that. Obviously I'd be hoping for more, but hey. 

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Didn’t their owner come out and say they’re gonna spend and go all in?

Whos plan B for them?

I've been saying Miller would be a good fit for Carolina for months. Pacioretty's expiring 7M would largely cover his raise and any questions about his defensive play would likely be mitigated by Carolina's being a strong team defensively. 

Miller is a player who has offensive strengths and he'd be an upgrade on Kotkaniemi. I've no issue with pointing out he has upside to a team that's closer to contention that we are. I think it'd be a good fit.

I could also see JT and his family being happy in Carolina, which is an important factor to consider imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Kevyn Adams just spoke to media and says they aren't going to change course.  He's been really clear that their future is their young players and that it's around them that they are building.  Miller is not an age fit.  

tbh I am surprised BUF has not acquired Brock, he is a good fit, will be cheap, we retain a schmill or so and they have cap, low risk high reward for them...

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Might cost too much for a player they're not sure they'd be able to retain, could pivot. I'll be surprised if they just stand pat. 

It's SJS that turned them down.  Both Friedman and LeBrun reported that Carolina was willing to let him play on his QO next season.  

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd love to somehow grab Morrow, no question. I'm also not as low on Kotkaniemi as others, I do see him as a player with upside given his age and draft pedigree. If he can develop into a 40-50 point player who can play reliable defense I'd be happy with that. Obviously I'd be hoping for more, but hey. 

It would just give us a top 9 and top 4 of:

Kuzmenko Pettersson Boeser

Miller Kotkaniemi Kravtsov

Podkozin Raty Garland

Hughes Livingstone

Ekman-Larsson Morrow

That’s assuming we can’t move Boeser, Garland and can sign Livingstone.  We also add two prospects with our 1sts this year.  Future could be bright.

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

tbh I am surprised BUF has not acquired Brock, he is a good fit, will be cheap, we retain a schmill or so and they have cap, low risk high reward for them...

They are top-3 in scoring.  It's not scoring that they need but help in their bottom-6 and on defence.  Their PK is also bottom-3.  

7 minutes ago, mll said:

It's SJS that turned them down.  Both Friedman and LeBrun reported that Carolina was willing to let him play on his QO next season.  

I recall reading that, yeah. But if they're out on Meier they'll need to look elsewhere. I could see them being open to a player they know they'd be getting longevity out of. 

They could contend if they were to add some more scoring punch, they're a great team defensively and they put up a lot of shots. Miller would certainly help their 24th ranked powerplay. 

Edited by Coconuts

6 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Podkozin Raty Garland

Hughes Livingstone

Ekman-Larsson Morrow

That’s assuming we can’t move Boeser, Garland and can sign Livingstone.  We also add two prospects with our 1sts this year.  Future could be bright.

That'd be a very young top 4 but I'd be willing to watch them work through growing pains. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

That'd be a very young top 4 but I'd be willing to watch them work through growing pains. 

Could also just sign an Erik Johnson/Schenn type vet to insulate them (Prefer Tryamkin to be honest on his offside) and then we’d hopefully draft Reinbacher with our second 1st.  RD would be potentially set for years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Could also just sign an Erik Johnson/Schenn type vet to insulate them (Prefer Tryamkin to be honest on his offside) and then we’d hopefully draft Reinbacher with our second 1st.  RD would be potentially set for years.

I think Schenn is more likely, Johnson probably retires or re-signs with Colorado on the cheap imo 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Seems like Carolina would be a good trade partner. Is there any actual smoke to this or are we just speculating? Is there any actual indication that we're shopping Miller or even seriously entertaining offers? 

mostly some Canucks fans hoping to move JT and his 8m long term cap hit. I don't see a deal happening myself, think Boeser is more likely to move just hoping we get a RHD back and some cap space

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Podkozin Raty Garland

Hughes Livingstone

Ekman-Larsson Morrow

What has given anyone the impression that Kotkaniemi is a 2nd line player at this point?  Kravtsov is the same.