The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday January 12 2022 - Vancouver Canucks @ Tampa Bay Lightning - 4pm PT/7pm ET - Amalie Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

One of many problems yes. Unfortunately makes the third most money on the team. 4th next year. For people looking for wasted cap and bad decisions it's an obvious choice. He's still a decent player I think but honestly it's hard to even tell in this atmosphere. Hopefully this management team can acquire the couple necessary pieces as you suggest and we actually get to see these high level abilities come into play.

Oh I get that his cap (and the trade that brought him here) are both lightning rods. I just think people take a FAR too simplistic and myopic view of it, and are ignoring the plain reality that his NMC means he's likely staying here whether they wish it or not. So we best learn to work within that reality.

And yes, EXACTLY re: the "atmosphere". Last year I was even more so dumbfounded by the amount of fans who wanted to move a slumping Pettersson (coming off injury, missed camp/preseason and a team playing like complete dog shite). This market is relentlessly unforgiving to players regardless of surrounding circumstances, out of the individual players control. And it's awfully difficult to get a "true" read on individual player ability under current conditions.

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

One of the big reasons I wanted to trade Miller too. These things don't just happen overnight. I believe it would have benefitted us to be working towards that goal already instead of waiting for Myers to come off the books. That could be a year away.

Same on Miller. Wanted to move him for a better 2way player (even at the expense of worse offence), a pick, a prospect and cap space. Even if we weren't better THIS season with those things, it pushes the team in the direction it needs to move. Here's hoping they figure that out before his extension kicks in... The club needs to start showing what their actual plan is, and actually making progress towards that. Fans can unite behind that if we have a road map and destination to cheer for. Right now, we're without either. 

TDL can't come soon enough.

• Cheers 1

REFEREES

Kyle Rehman #10
KR10.jpg?resize=120,120
Peter MacDougall #38
PM38.jpg?resize=120,120&ssl=1
Games ’22-23 37 35
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 75 / 8 73 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 897 / 26 262 / 0
First NHL Game 1/22/08 4/8/17
Birthplace Red Deer, AB Regina, SK

LINESMEN

David Brisebois #96
DB96.jpg?resize=120,120
Libor Suchanek #60
LS60.jpg?resize=120,120
Games ’22-23 38 41
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 75 / 23 77 / 6
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1400 / 77 348 / 16
First NHL Game 10/11/00 11/16/17
Birthplace Sudbury, ON Stod, Czechia
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

This is a tank game. Speedy Mikayev on the 4th line and Stillman in for OEL against the Lighting 

Except OEL is consistently on for goals against. This team has been letting in 5+ goals with him in the lineup.

I would argue this hurts the tank more than helps it. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

btw.

No to Rick Tocchet

:sick:

Thank you!

As an assistant sure. But not as a head coach.

If they don’t get it right this time I don’t know what to say. They’ve got one of the best defensive coaches in the league available right now in Trotz. Pay him 8 mil and offer him an assistant GM role and be done with it.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2