The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday January 12 2022 - Vancouver Canucks @ Tampa Bay Lightning - 4pm PT/7pm ET - Amalie Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Drance was just on 650 saying how he isn’t a defensive disaster. His scoring has gone down along with ice time. They mentioned a lot of lack of luck as well. I can’t stand Drance but I am with him on this (he threw a lot of stats around).

JT has been brutal as a center.

Stats- and eye test back this up.

I completely understand  your stance, on Drance; worst thing to happen to Vancouver since the "crypt keeper' was still writing.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Most people are either on the “OEL sucks he’s awful buy him out” side, and some are on the “OEL is Jesus” side.

reality is he’s a good top-4 offensive defenseman, overpaid by a couple million. And like you said, miscast. 

I don't think anyone is on a "OEL is Jesus" side.

Like you said, he's a solid top 4 OFD (with a bit of 2 way ability). He's not even really overpaid based on current market prices for UFA aged D ($7.5m-$12m for first pair D). Pretty much high end 2nd pair-low end 1st pair D money. Which is exactly what he is (at least when healthy).

But he's not REMOTELY been put in position to succeed here. We have no legit top 4, defense-first D to partner him (or Hughes) with (Schenn's been great but he's a 3rd/spare pair on a well built D, and he's only 1 guy) and as you said, OEL's miscast as a primary shutdown/match up role. We'd be far better off having a defense first, high-end 3rd pair guy to take that role (given that with his NMC, OEL isn't going anywhere).

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

What's the video? It's showing unavailable but after the list of musicians I really want to watch it!

It's an audio clip of Beck's Bolero, one of the greatest instrumental tracks in rock and roll history, off of the Jeff Beck album Truth. A brilliant song off a brilliant album.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's an audio clip of Beck's Bolero, one of the greatest instrumental tracks in rock and roll history, off of the Jeff Beck album Truth. A brilliant song off a brilliant album.

PB, you seen that clip of Tom Jones & Van the man singin an old standard with Beck in form? Tom grins as Beck's solo seems to cure Van's blues. Just brilliant

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But he's not REMOTELY been put in position to succeed here. We have no legit top 4, defense-first D to partner him (or Hughes) with (Schenn's been great but he's a 3rd/spare pair on a well built D, and he's only 1 guy) and as you said, OEL's miscast as a primary shutdown/match up role. We'd be far better off having a defense first, high-end 3rd pair guy to take that role (given that with his NMC, OEL isn't going anywhere).

Can I ask you why he was acquired if the above is the case.

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

PB, you seen that clip of Tom Jones & Van the man singin an old standard with Beck in form? Tom grins as Beck's solo seems to cure Van's blues. Just brilliant

Bring It On Home, originally recorded by the legendary Sam Cooke.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Does anyone else feel the need to sit in front of the TV tonight and watch with a bag on your head, so that not even family members will realize that it's YOU watching the game???

Sad Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

that is uncomfortable - maybe put a large bag over the tv instead?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Can I ask you why he was acquired if the above is the case.

I'm guessing both the dearth of top 4 D in the org, the desire to build off the bubble run and there was likely hope we'd eventually acquire an appropriate partner for him (Marino this summer probably would have worked, if we'd cleared the cap by simply moving Miller as we should have). But that's just a guess. And actually putting cohesive, complementary pieces together was never Benning's strong suit (which likely also explains some of it).

There is however a route to build a quality D core with OEL on it.

Hughes, defensive leaning D

OEL, defensive leaning D

Defensive leaning D, Bear

But thus far, two management groups have all but gone out of their way to do the opposite. We need 2, top 4 right and one 2nd/3rd pair left D in the molds of Tanev/Cernak/Pesce/Marino/McNabb etc

And regardless of what anyone thinks of the trade, he's here now. And that NMC ensures he isn't going anywhere. Best to start planning on how to build the D around the pieces that will be here, rather than stomping feet and wishing him away.

And again, he's a solid, top 4 D. We could do a lot worse. It's certainly not a problem worth all the shrieking in this market about it. OEL is a problem on a roster full of PROBLEMS.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1