The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday January 12 2022 - Vancouver Canucks @ Tampa Bay Lightning - 4pm PT/7pm ET - Amalie Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'm guessing both the dearth of top 4 D in the org, the desire to build off the bubble run and there was likely hope we'd eventually acquire an appropriate partner for him (Marino this summer probably would have worked, if we'd cleared the cap by simply moving Miller as we should have). But that's just a guess. And actually putting cohesive, complementary pieces together was never Benning's strong suit (which likely also explains some of it).

There is however a route to build a quality D core with OEL on it.

Hughes, defensive leaning D

OEL, defensive leaning D

Defensive leaning D, Bear

But thus far, two management groups have all but gone out of their way to do the opposite. We need 2, top 4 right and one 2nd/3rd pair left D in the molds of Tanev/Cernak/Pesce/Marino/McNabb etc

And regardless of what anyone thinks of the trade, he's here now. And that NMC ensures he isn't going anywhere. Best to start planning on how to build the D around the pieces that will be here, rather than stomping feet and wishing him away.

And again, he's a solid, top 4 D. We could do a lot worse. It's certainly not a problem worth all the shrieking in this market about it. OEL is a problem on a roster full of PROBLEMS.

One of many problems yes. Unfortunately makes the third most money on the team. 4th next year. For people looking for wasted cap and bad decisions it's an obvious choice. He's still a decent player I think but honestly it's hard to even tell in this atmosphere. Hopefully this management team can acquire the couple necessary pieces as you suggest and we actually get to see these high level abilities come into play.

One of the big reasons I wanted to trade Miller too. These things don't just happen overnight. I believe it would have benefitted us to be working towards that goal already instead of waiting for Myers to come off the books. That could be a year away.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Us having a bad team around him has nothing to do with his individual play.

Yes, good team defense and good defensive forwards 100% make a D-man's job easier, but there are other D-men on this team that play with the same supporting cast and aren't playing well below their respective contracts.

I don't really care what they tend to do, I'm just telling you what we're all seeing and it's not him aging gracefully.

Why doesn't it? It's a team sport.

Schenn's about the only D living up to/surpassing his contract on this club. Even the far more talented Hughes is having a pretty "meh" year, particularly in his own end. Who are all these other D on our team, having amazing years, unlike OEL?

There's very few players on this entire team who've looked good this year. If you don't think that, or fit, chemistry etc matters on a team sport...not sure what to tell you. This roster is an un-cohesive mess, with no identity or ability/personnel to play D. That's not an OEL issue. And they're not robots. Some guys are going to have a tougher time than others giving the proverbial "110%" in an increasingly hopeless season.

I like OEL but he never has seemed very happy here to me.

i remember when Hughes was out last year, OEL improved his offensive and all round play. I swear he said something like ' if they want me to play this role, I can' . I wonder if he feels slighted being seen as a second to Hughes?

Just spitballin, because again, he seems different than the dude that was so good when he played in the desert 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

i remember when Hughes was out last year, OEL improved his offensive and all round play. I swear he said something like ' if they wnat me to play this role, I can' . I wonder if he feels slighted being seen as a second to Hughes?

Just spitballin, because again, he seems different than the dude that was so good when he played in the desert 

I would argue Huggy Bear doesn't look very happy either. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

With OEL out:

I mean is there anyone who’d be shocked if there was a complete overhaul of the leadership group this offseason?

Anyone wearing a letter right now is fair game to have it taken away. I don’t put the blame on them but leadership is an issue. New voices are needed.

• Cheers 1

Bruce on team tank.

I don’t like the OEL trade or contract but he is probably our best defencemen. Standards are not very high though…

8 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Chicago is on a 2-game winning streak..be nice if they get hot

Just need one of Hawks, Ducks or Blue Jackets to go on a 3-4 game win streak. Then bottom 3 is potential especially if we move Bo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

i remember when Hughes was out last year, OEL improved his offensive and all round play. I swear he said something like ' if they want me to play this role, I can' . I wonder if he feels slighted being seen as a second to Hughes?

Then why’d he say he wanted to come here?!?

Also if he’s unhappy then he needs to work with the team and be willing to waive his NTC.

Just now, J-23 said:

Bruce on team tank.

I don’t like the OEL trade or contract but he is probably our best defencemen. Standards are not very high though…

Just need one of Hawks, Ducks or Blue Jackets to go on a 3-4 game win streak. Then bottom 3 is potential especially if we move Bo.

i did a schedule breakdown on pg 2 here, lots of tank team games left, lose and we can sink a lot

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Man that third line…

Our forward depth was so deep to start the season. 

Take out Podkolzin, Pearson, and Hoglander, and move Miller to wing and suddenly we have no NHL third line.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1