The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday January 12 2022 - Vancouver Canucks @ Tampa Bay Lightning - 4pm PT/7pm ET - Amalie Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

Just now, Strawbone said:

Oh we'll win this game, just because, you know... Canucks.

It would be such a Canuck thing to do to come out tonight and play an inspired 60 minute game against Tampa wouldn't it. 

I could legit see us going 2-8 in our next 10, our schedule is brutal for the next couple weeks. 

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We could do a lot worse. It's certainly not a problem worth all the shrieking in this market about it. OEL is a problem on a roster full of PROBLEMS.

He's signed @ 7.2M for another 4 years after this one.

When he's played well, he's brought 5-5 to 6M type value. When he hasn't played well, it's been a lot lower than that.

He will be 32 next season. He's not getting younger, he has an injury history.

You wouldn't be an alarmist if you were to believe there's a big problem here.

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Without looking it up, a total guess at the others...

Linden

Bure

Daniel

Henrik

Naslund

Kesler

Burrows

I'm sure a couple of those are way wrong (Kesler/Burrows) but I can't remember very far back lol.

Edit: well I looked it up and I wasn't too far off! I didn't know Smyl scored so many goals, I always remember him as a grinder and not a scorer. And of course Tanti. Burrows and Kesler came close.

Edited by Strawbone
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Strawbone said:

Without looking it up, a total guess at the others...

Linden

Bure

Daniel

Henrik

Naslund

Kesler

Burrows

I'm sure a couple of those are way wrong (Kesler/Burrows) but I can't remember very far back lol.

Your last two are incorrect....

Kesler 182

Burrows 193

54 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, even before the cups they were an elite team 

They've missed the playoffs once since 2013-2014 and that was during the 2016-2017 season

The wild part is during 2016-17 they still went 42-30-10

Not only have they won two cups, they lost in the final to Colorado last season, they lost in the final back in 2014-15 against the Hawks, lost 3-4 in the conference finals to Pittsburgh in 2015-16 and 3-4 to Washington in 17-18 

Could have made the final six times this past decade, they were close 

Meanwhile, in Vancouver.. 

It's mind boggling. We can't even figure out the correct direction to go in. I'm very jealous of 30 other teams. Sorry Philly your with us in absolute no man's land :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

It would be such a Canuck thing to do to come out tonight and play an inspired 60 minute game against Tampa wouldn't it. 

I could legit see us going 2-8 in our next 10, our schedule is brutal for the next couple weeks. 

I'm good either way! Always fun beating a good team on the road, and I know there will be plenty more losses to come to move us down the standings and closer to Bedard.

25 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

He's signed @ 7.2M for another 4 years after this one.

When he's played well, he's brought 5-5 to 6M type value.

And if you hadn't deleted major portions of my post ;), you'd note I think there's a strong chance he'd actually contribute closer his $7.2m hit in a properly constructed D (and forward) core, and with F's who weren't allergic to playing D/supporting the puck and if the team had anything resembling structure, or an identity.

25 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

When he hasn't played well, it's been a lot lower than that.

He will be 32 next season. He's not getting younger, he has an injury history.

You wouldn't be an alarmist if you were to believe there's a big problem here.

D, even ones with injury history, tend to play at a high level until 34-35, with a less steep drop off compared to F's. Again...problem.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1