The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Tampa Bay Lightning at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Make no mistake.

I am fully a fanboy.

I am Canucks. I am not the enemy. Is there other teams?

But, I am also not too invested. If I was I would be in a world of sadness...cause, well...Canucks. 

You must balance it better than I did

Once upon I was so invested that a loss would ruin my mood, and sometimes my day or night, a bad loss would really make me sour

I don't like sports having that kind of impact on me as it's not fair to anyone around me and it's a silly thing to let sour my time

I'm not as emotionally attached to the players, the roster, or wins or losses anymore 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It’s a fair comment. 

I don’t want to cheer for any team or player that’s an opposing player. 

But, I can resign myself to applauding for a good Canadian kid who is a guest in ‘our’ house. 

Canadians that reach records in a Canadian ‘house’ deserves a Canadian applause. It’s what we do for each other. 

the "Canucks have educated fans" is one of those things hockey people say

"They have a good team over there"

and 

"Hard to play against"

or

"He's a good coach"

they  are just cliches

you will never hear

"We're gonna roll into Vancouver/Arizona and spank those nancy boys"

or

"We're gonna be easy to play against"

or 

"Wonkie Willie and Greener are as bad a coaches as I've ever seen in the league"

people  say they want truth, but it only comes out on the rarest occasions 

Every announcer connected to the league is going to say, "X is a good coach"

every player is going to say, "They have a good team over there"

Likewise the myth is that Vancouver has knowledgeable fans

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lmm said:

its not the pass, its the cover

another newish rule is, if the goalie covers the puck shot from the far side of center, no change is allowed

I see no value in a 3 second play to facilitate a change for a team that is being punished for icing the puck

In soccer a goalie cannot put his hands on the ball if passed back from his own player

hola amigo

Gracias Amigo! 

Now I understand what you’re getting at. 

I think the issue is giving a goaltender the to make a save, cover the puck and then make a play, or choose to end the play. 

Goalies have to make split second decisions all the time. The rules as they are allows the goalie to assess the play and make a decision. 

It makes sense that they’re afforded a few seconds to do so. 

Of course they can use that to their and team’s benefit. 

Getting rid of that would hamper their ability to play their position. Goalies are a special position on the team. They should be afforded a few seconds to make or stop plays. The rule is a fair rule. It applies to both teams. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

You must balance it better than I did

Once upon I was so invested that a loss would ruin my mood, and sometimes my day or night, a bad loss would really make me sour

I don't like sports having that kind of impact on me as it's not fair to anyone around me and it's a silly thing to let sour my time

I'm not as emotionally attached to the players, the roster, or wins or losses anymore 

You're a super smart hockey dude.

I love reading your posts, I have learned a lot.

Your past attachment reminds me of a brit movie called 'Fever Pitch' about an Arsenal fan...they did a remake but I didn't see it. 

I see hockey games like there is no tomorrow. I just enjoy the moment. It's why you never see me in the trade proposal threads. 

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I hated it.

I want our barn to feared and I want our team to be hated.

We're in the middle of crappy times and parts of our home crowd is cheering on a milstone for the other team.

It's just a number. We're known for every second star getting big goals in our building. I dont care.

Dont get me wrong. SS is an awesome dude and a great player.

In our building, get out of here with that kind of crap. 

BTW, I am this way because hockey is the only place in my life where I allow myself to be very tribalistic. 

I cheered Ovie for his NHL Away goals scored record, it's about respect. You can be an intimidating place to play while still showing respect too. Way more disappointed in the suits/trendy folk that sit on their hands, than fans showing hard competitors earned respect.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Gracias Amigo! 

Now I understand what you’re getting at. 

I think the issue is giving a goaltender the to make a save, cover the puck and then make a play, or choose to end the play. 

Goalies have to make split second decisions all the time. The rules as they are allows the goalie to assess the play and make a decision. 

It makes sense that they’re afforded a few seconds to do so. 

Of course they can use that to their and team’s benefit. 

Getting rid of that would hamper their ability to play their position. Goalies are a special position on the team. They should be afforded a few seconds to make or stop plays. The rule is a fair rule. It applies to both teams. 

agree to disagree

I saw it once each way in Tampa

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I cheered Ovie for his NHL Away goals scored record, it's about respect. You can be an intimidating place to play while still showing respect too. Way more disappointed in the suits/trendy folk that sit on their hands, than fans showing hard competitors earned respect.

I getcha.

I'm not very respectful when it comes to goal scoring of any kind against our team. Again, just me. 

I'm actually annoyed at the barn last night, not enough Gino chants. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You're a super smart hockey dude.

I love reading your posts, I have learned a lot.

Your past attachment reminds me of a brit movie called 'Fever Pitch' about an Arsenal fan...they did a remake but I didn't see it. 

I see hockey games like there is no tomorrow. I just enjoy the moment. It's why you never see me in the trade proposal threads. 

Mind you I was spoiled as to when my fandom began, my first introduction to the Canucks was during the WCE era and I got to track the team having success through my teens and my early twenties

I was spoiled in that I got to spend a long stretch of time being able to expect that we'd probably win most games, this probably contributed to my approach 

It also made this past ten years more frustrating as I hadn't had to ride out a long stretch of tough years, at this point it's old hat

But I miss having teams I actually expected to win most nights, it's been a long time now, I don't expect much in terms of positive results anymore and I'm not alone in that

Management has a lot of work to do to win this market over, apathy has set in for some and from what I've picked up a lot of folks just don't care as much anymore 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I getcha.

I'm not very respectful when it comes to goal scoring of any kind against our team. Again, just me. 

I'm actually annoyed at the barn last night, not enough Gino chants

Understandable

And agree with the bolded completely 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

it won't show up in the highlights,

but should show up in the lows

Just attach the game from YouTube. I know the minutes you’re taking about from your PM. 

I see there’s no YouTube link yet. Is there a full video from the Canucks site that you can link? 

Edited by Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Man some pretty wild tank battle going on tonight.

Ducks came back from down 3 to tie up Columbus. Hope for a 3 point game.

Mtl sh*t the bed with Florida

CHI beating Philly though we probably want a 3 point game there. 

Florida is getting healthy.  They could go on a big run and work back into the playoff picture.  Habs have that Fla first and are going to watch it turn from a top 10 to a bottom 10 first.  Habs will pick 7OA and 23OA.  

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I hated it.

I want our barn to feared and I want our team to be hated.

We're in the middle of crappy times and parts of our home crowd is cheering on a milstone for the other team.

It's just a number. We're known for every second star getting big goals in our building. I dont care.

Dont get me wrong. SS is an awesome dude and a great player.

In our building, get out of here with that kind of crap. 

BTW, I am this way because hockey is the only place in my life where I allow myself to be very tribalistic. 

I'll never be anything but a Canucks fan, but I love to watch great players, and Stamko is one of those. I would have cheered also.

• Cheers 1