The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

So FA spends to the cap but is too cheap to pay out BB and get the desired team in place from the start. 

Instead , they just waste a year of everyone’s time; players , staff, BB, fans and here we are starting all over again.  Not to mention losing credibility and player confidence .
Looks to me like they are just making up things as they go. 

I agree, BB should not have been hired before the new management but he was. I think JR tried to do his best with what he had at the time. BB did well last year who was going to predict what played out this year. 

We all know when a team faulters, the coach is the first to go. 

They have wasted a lot longer of our time then the last year IMO.::D

12 minutes ago, tkanuk said:

Here’s my dumb theory:

Aqualini got management in this mess by hiring Boudreau before JR. BB was never managements coach. He was the owner’s coach and that obviously frustrated JR. 

I think this public firing, this airing of dirty laundry, might be a way of putting the owner in his place. The owner is being shown, very publicly, how bad his mistake was and what the consequences are of meddling. 

At least I hope so. I’m excited for this new chapter and the future. GCG

Pretty much what I was thinking (or hoping).

Now they’ve got their guy, and they seem to have the green light for buyouts.

There should be no more excuses now. Time to put their stamp on the team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Ronning4center said:

Mmmm sorry bro...  The media has been ruthless here for 20 years.  Always trying to sell a story regardless of the impact.  That is fact and a long standing tradition here.  They are selling you a product.  Unfortunately bad press is more successful that good press.  Hence any news outlet in the states.....we are like mindless ants eating it up.

Again you can't empirically prove ruthlessness. That is still your opinion not a measurable fact. 

Also not gonna disagree with trying to sell so called negative story (I'll call it negative cause that is what I perceive them to be). That is the nature of media. 

1 minute ago, IRR said:

Dude…..WAKE THE F UP!!! This is 100% not just my opinion!! Sooo many see it / feel the same way. If you’re that blind / deaf, then I can’t help you! Again, the ignorance on here from some of you is mind blowing. Use some logic, common sense and that thing between your ears. 

This is a prime example of why I barely come on here anymore! F’n unreal!! 

Fact vs. Opinion: Simple Examples to Show the Difference | YourDictionary

Take a deep breath first. Then read up on the difference between a fact vs. an opinion. 

• Huggy Bear 2

1 minute ago, IRR said:

Dude…..WAKE THE F UP!!! This is 100% not just my opinion!! Sooo many see it / feel the same way. If you’re that blind / deaf, then I can’t help you! Again, the ignorance on here from some of you is mind blowing. Use some logic, common sense and that thing between your ears. 

This is a prime example of why I barely come on here anymore! F’n unreal!! 

Dude, let's just agree to disagree before I say something I shouldn't.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Again you can't empirically prove ruthlessness. That is still your opinion not a measurable fact. 

Also not gonna disagree with trying to sell so called negative story (I'll call it negative cause that is what I perceive them to be). That is the nature of media. 

Haha fair if you want to quibble about vernacular.  Would you settle for, ask anybody who's followed sports for the last 20 years in Vancouver?  The media being ruthless here in van is not speculation and it is decidedly measurable.  Are you from out of town ?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

There is a difference between how fans react to players and amanagement and how professional organizations treat its own people. 

If we weren’t talking about millionaires my opinion might change. I very much want to see workers treated with respect by corporations. Less empathy in this instance tbh. 

But sure there’s a difference. But it’s also about human decency and respect. Was Sea of Granlunds not an absolutely dick move? 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

No- they didn't.

They threw him under the bus immediately at the end of last season; and continued to do so, up to, and including the day, they fired him.

They knew the defense was brutal- so re signed Brock.

they knew the defense was brutal -so they  re signed Miller- after not trading Miller for defensive help

they signed Mik- a decent 3rd line player,

signed Kuz- 

traded out a D man- Hamonic, and replaced him with Dermott, Stillman and Bear. None of whom should be playing above 3rd pair.

So he could win with that group last year but couldn't this year that's throwing him under the bus? 

Didn't Hamonic want out?

You failed to mention what happened to Demko and the up and down play of the whole team this year as well. 

I think their additions actually improved the team, well except for Stillman, no ones perfect.::D

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much what I was thinking (or hoping).

Now they’ve got their guy, and they seem to have the green light for buyouts.

There should be no more excuses now. Time to put their stamp on the team.

Exactly. No more excuses now

16 minutes ago, tkanuk said:

Here’s my dumb theory:

Aqualini got management in this mess by hiring Boudreau before JR. BB was never managements coach. He was the owner’s coach and that obviously frustrated JR. 

I think this public firing, this airing of dirty laundry, might be a way of putting the owner in his place. The owner is being shown, very publicly, how bad his mistake was and what the consequences are of meddling. 

At least I hope so. I’m excited for this new chapter and the future. GCG

I have questions about this:

1. What exactly is the mistake here: the actual choosing of Boudeau himself or just ownership hiring a coach before changing management? In your mind, would this be against Boudreau himself or just the general idea of management making a management decision?

2. If this is to "put the ownership in place", does that actually make things better or does it just create tension at that point?

I know you mentioned it's a "dumb theory", but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask questions about it. Personally, I hope you're wrong, because I think it would mean there would be more drama in the future since there would then be tensions between management and ownership. That's a terrible scenario to have.