The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Tocchet mentions possibly less time on the penalty kill for Pettersson as he should be concentrating on his offence.

EP40 heard ; ;RigidGleamingBoutu-max-1mb.gif  Think he's been happy with enhancing all aspects of his game. No brownie points for the new coach on this.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

3 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Lol tocchet deleted his Twitter account.. bet he didn't want to let us fans know if the canucks will win or lose that day.. inside scoop to the winnings... make big bucks for us fans

It’s common to delete social media for players and coaches, not much of a story..

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

Too much finger pointing.  Every coach is fired amongst speculation...we always know who the next coach is way before it happens.  The team is not performing and we have three legends of hockey willing to deal with the scrutiny and media...all of whom are already wealthy so it's not for money...to come and make this special. 

I've noticed in the last 10 years everyone wants to have answers and complain and trash about every perceived slight.  In tochetts day you'd settle it on the ice without whining...I this the team amd the fans could use a bit of this.

This is a diplomatic approach, I suppose, and yes, in Tocchet's day, he'd go toe to toe with the best. He's definitely someone you'd want on your team. But the BS about all of this is, that FA screwed up major league. He's made so many bad decisions, including disrespecting Bruce, and most of all, us fans. Keep wiping it under the carpet, but the reality is, this guy is a piece of compost who has betrayed, not only us, as fans, but legendary players/coaches who would go to war for the team. 

3 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

I honestly think it's because we all loved Bruce so much.  We were so done with Green, Desjardins etc .  Those guys didn't really get graceful firings either.  I can't remember a time when a loved coach was fired.  It was like a break up when you still love someone..

Another huge issue is that doesnt seem to be getting as much play is that Aqua literally hired the coach and then hired the new president a few days from eachother.... yeah, he cleared Bruce with JR... but he should have fired Benning and Green on the same day, hired JR, and let JR hire the new coach himself.

Boudreau became a sitting duck from day 1.  However, he initially exceeded expectations and became revered by this fan base.  However, once that hype cooled off at the end of the season, he was ripe for the plucking.  JR and PA shat the bed last offseason and then had BB as the perfect scape goat for the struggles this year.

I couldn't help but notice PA's unclassy / subtle dig at how he gave Bruce a lot of power picking the roster, his coaches...etc last offseason.  Seemed like deflection city.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

8 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Well many here are calling him a criminal and basing his coaching abilities on some gambling from years ago, I'm not the one who needs to thicken up.

Put the pitchforks away people 

Him being a criminal is an undeniable fact.

His head coaching record speak for itself for his poor coaching abilities.

His undeniable connection to Pittsburgh helping him land this job is also plain to see.

He ain't my choice for coach and that has nothing to do with Bruce or his treatment. 

Wish for his failure the rest of the season (k for the tank more than wishing he sucks). 

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

BB was left dangling in the wind for way too long, legends of the game does not necessarily translate to coaching, we haven't been good for ten years so the fan base is a litte grumpy as it looks like we are going to be bad for awhile yet. 

Thays true...maybe Bruce deserved better treatment because of his status.

• There it is 1

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

We could have rode this out with Bruce.

The changing that has to happen is in Management’s hands ,it has been, and always will be.  

What purpose would that have served? If a change was coming better sooner than later. Tocchet will have the rest of the season to work with the players. He can add his assessment to management over players and what the team needs. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 2

8 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Tocchet mentions possibly less time on the penalty kill for Pettersson as he should be concentrating on his offence.

EP40 heard ; ;RigidGleamingBoutu-max-1mb.gif  Think he's been happy with enhancing all aspects of his game. No brownie points for the new coach on this.

Big mistake in speaking to specifics of players before he’s even met them. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What purpose would that have served? If a change was coming better sooner than later. Tocchet will have the rest of the season to work with the players. He can add his assessment to management over players and what the team needs. 

The point is to be fair for the next coach.

Tocchet is now setup to fail and be disdained by the fanbase.

He wins, he is hurting our draft position in a meaningless season

He lose, well he is clearly a bad coach and need to be fired especially after the Bruce debacle.

• elephant 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

So your actually agreeing with me ,

Management does not have an assessment of players ,  it’s their job, not a Coaches.

Coaches can come with needs and offer opinions.

This management group has no vision and are now looking for a new / outside their circle of love to get it.

then what, blame a Coach again?

They can’t change anything,except make the trades that are in front of them to make , or lose for nothing.

it’s a smoke screen Bouds.

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

The point is to be fair for the next coach.

Tocchet is now setup to fail and be disdained by the fanbase.

He wins, he is hurting our draft position in a meaningless season

He lose, well he is clearly a bad coach and need to be fired especially after the Bruce debacle.

The team can avoid this if they sell some pieces that signal a true tank. 

7 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

Thays true...maybe Bruce deserved better treatment because of his status.

Not even "because of his status".

As people are fired, there's a way to do that by affording them courtesy, dignity and respect. To go to them, directly, and have that (tough) conversation. "We're letting you go and are going to be looking for your replacement. Thank you for your services".

Then everyone's clear and speculation is irrelevant. Wives don't have to frantically call their husbands because they're MIA and they're wondering what's going on. Statements aren't made that say "we don't know" a few days before you know. Come on. Double talk is for those who can't keep their stories straight as they try to feed us bs.

Everyone deserves to be let go in a way where they are fully aware of the situation and can start "their process" of moving on as well. It's cowardly to duck out of that.

Every move JR and Alvin make is questionable. If you’re going to clean house. CLEAN HOUSE. I like King, however both Yeo and King should have been replaced as well. What a f&$@&$ circus this season is. Vancouver fans have been through so many hiring and firing’s in the last decade. The last time there was any stability on this team was in the end of the Burke era into the beginning of the Gillis era. The fans and City deserve better. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

Another huge issue is that doesnt seem to be getting as much play is that Aqua literally hired the coach and then hired the new president a few days from eachother.... yeah, he cleared Bruce with JR... but he should have fired Benning and Green on the same day, hired JR, and let JR hire the new coach himself.

Boudreau became a sitting duck from day 1.  However, he initially exceeded expectations and became revered by this fan base.  However, once that hype cooled off at the end of the season, he was ripe for the plucking.  JR and PA shat the bed last offseason and then had BB as the perfect scape goat for the struggles this year.

I couldn't help but notice PA's unclassy / subtle dig at how he gave Bruce a lot of power picking the roster, his coaches...etc last offseason.  Seemed like deflection city.

Oooo I missed that.  I took it as simple sincere like..Bruce wanted to keep a few guys and see what we could do so we sided with him.   Imagine if this not trading Miller and Horvat situation was because Bruce wanted them in and management supported Bruce.