The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

26 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

I honestly don’t understand it. Like you said, coaches of underperforming teams get fired all the time. This team has been trash and there had been no signs that Boudreau and his staff were implementing anything to improve it. Yeah, maybe the timing was a little weird, but the plug needed to be pulled. 

If he wasn’t such a personable guy people would be on board with this coaching change. 

I believe jr and his partner set Bruce up to fail. Pushed him out in a barely floating boat and when the oars and rudder broke they didn’t throw him a line. Just let him flounder. 

No help in goal. No substantive support for the failing defence. Nothing. 

Having watched this poho for a year I began to doubt he was of good character. Today, after giving myself 24 hours to reset, I re-watched him and his partner announce Bruce’s dismissal and introduce their choice for a coach. 

Watching closely and listening intently for the second time, I now have no doubt that he is an antiquated , antediluvian fossil with crappy personality characteristics… a fine cohort for  the owner. 

I’ll close by countering your final statement, to which I do agree, that if 

jr wasn’t such a snake in the grass for treating his long time “friend” like a piece of trash people would be onboard with the coaching change. 

I’ve attached the presser…it’s  insightful to re-watch after the dust has settled and my cooler mind prevails. 

Personally , nothing impresses me about jr, his partner or the way they conduct themselves.

I’m happy to give Rick the benefit of doubt and hope the players respond well to him. That , despite the fact he’s sleeping with the dogs. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

I feel this is the actual start of this new regime. They took a long time to build the front office and they did make several decent trades. Bruce was the head coach behind the bench when they got here and he wasn't their choice. JR is trying to fix things in Vancouver and to build a winner. This Canucks team, for some reason, lacks structure and proper work habits. Bruce left it up to the players to figure it out. He just showed up every day with an encouraging smile and a pat on the back and let them play.

Tocchet is going to be demanding, but don't we want that for our team? To see the effort every night, better defensive play, players playing with the right players and more grit. I would love to get Bedard, but that's not up to the Canucks, even if they finish last. They'll have a shot at it, but so will 15 other teams. 

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the games, and if the Canucks are competitive and start winning games, I can't be mad at that.    

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3