The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Columbus Blue Jackets at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 27, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

IM65 going to LTIR

Would this free up a bunch if cap allowing the Canucks to take on a bad contract for the rest of the season if a pick/prospect was included to the Canucks sweeten the deal?

Competitive teams looking to make cap space could conceivably do this

Edited by GB5
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yea like what is going on with this greasy management group.

How is a doctor letting a player risk that? You can’t just let players make that decsion!

Nope, you can't. I don't care what the player wants he's not the doctor, they can't be letting this shit go on. 

Pearson's already been bungled and now this bit with Mikheyev. Players and agents around the league see this stuff, players talk and they pay attention to at least some of the news around the league whether they'll admit it or not. 

Not a good look at all. 

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

How is a doctor letting a player risk that? You can’t just let players make that decsion!

It’s the same people under Benning who cleared Ferland.  I don’t think it has anything to do with management. They can’t force players to play injured. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s the same people under Benning who cleared Ferland.  I don’t think it has anything to do with management. They can’t force players to play injured. 

Surely they would have got his medical report though. None of them thought to shut him down?

They can’t force him to play but they can shut him down.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, GB5 said:

IM65 going to LTIR

Would this free up a bunch if cap allowing the Canucks to take on a bad contract for the rest of the season if a pick/prospect was included to the Canucks sweeten the deal?

Competitive teams looking to make cap space could conceivably do this

Don't even think that way cuz our beloved management won't do it.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nope, you can't. I don't care what the player wants he's not the doctor, they can't be letting this shit go on. 

Pearson's already been bungled and now this bit with Mikheyev. Players and agents around the league see this stuff, players talk and they pay attention to at least some of the news around the league whether they'll admit it or not. 

Not a good look at all. 

Surely his agent would have been involved in the process too. So they’re not exempt from this.

The doctors are the ones that have to be responsible here though.

Players are obviously gonna wanna play, and managers and coaches clearly want the players in the lineup. The doctors have to be the adults in the room.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

I don’t think the ACL is one of those things that you might tear it worse and your knee falls off… but it’s not great to let it go unfixed for too long.

Glad he’s getting shut down but also nice to see he’s a gamer and wanted to impress his new team by giving his nuts a tug and getting back out there. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Surely they would have got his medical report though. None of them thought to shut him down?

They can’t force him to play but they can shut him down.

Ultimately, it is the players decision. The doctors cleared him to play and he wanted to play.  It’s the doctors who need to clear him. Also, this was at the beginning of the year when we were considered a payoff team. So I am sure that if Mikheyev wanted to play management wasn’t going to hold him back. 

• Like 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Ultimately, it is the players decision. The doctors cleared him to play and he wanted to play.  It’s the doctors who need to clear him. Also, this was at the beginning of the year when we were considered a payoff team. So I am sure that if Mikheyev wanted to play management wasn’t going to hold him back. 

I’m aware the doctors need to clear him. I’m asking why they did?

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There will always be a conflict of interest as long as the doctors are paid for by the team. 

A solution is for the league and/or the PA to hire the doctors and assign them to each club with the funding coming from each team in the form of a 'medical' tax. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Surely his agent would have been involved in the process too. So they’re not exempt from this.

Players are obviously gonna wanna play, and managers and coaches clearly want the players in the lineup. The doctors have to be the adults in the room.

I mean, if the coaches and management know about it that's partially on them as well. Yeah, it's absolutely on the medical staff but it's more convoluted with that in a game that involves million dollar players. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the league investigated how we're conducting things regarding the health of our players, or if the NHLPA made a stink. 

I don't care how badly players want to play, if they've got some serious health stuff going on it's in both their best interest and the longer term interest of the team to not play them. I mean, if they were deep in the playoffs I'd at least kind of understand that but we're bottom feeders. It just looks bad. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The agent would have been left out unless it was a contract year. Ultimately, it is on the player.